• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just curious is there anyone who has built their own surpressor (after filing appropriate paper work)? Is it worth the while? What where some of the better plans/methods out there? What would be the minimal required machining/tool? It was something that I was curious and didn't really see any FAQs on it.

Last edited:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the responses. I understand the paperwork and tax stamp, and have ordered the forms off the BATFE sight. Not sure if it was something I'd actually do, and I realize that some of the prices out there are really economical on manufactured suppresors. I was curious if anyone had actually gone thru the hassle of DIYing one. Perhaps this topic maybe a little Verboten? Or just not economically worth it? Perhaps from a legal standpoint there are a lot of pitfalls one can find themselves in with the making of one, even with the proper paperwork and tax stamp in hand?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sound reduction is easy. Making one that is efficient, durable, light weight, and ergonomic is more work. Honestly it's one of thse things that I look at the plans for making one, look at how much a halfway decent one costs, and pretty much decide to buy one since I don't own decent machine tools and figure I'd spend more time and effort.
    If I had a machine shop set up I'd consider making my own (with all appropriate paperwork filed of course, I have no desire to become a guest of the feds).

If it's a TEOTWAWKI situation and there's no more federal government to enforce the laws then knowing how to build one is useful.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    There was someone on this board that was in the process of making one, I just do not remember who.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    There is a firefighter here in Indy that "turns" cans. I know he does it legally, just not sure of the details. He is not commercial either, just for his own use.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was under the impression that you could make one for your own use and didn't have to jump through the hoops of the ATF... Kind of like manufacturing your own firearm.

Like as long as it wasn't ever out of your possession, it was OK.

But since firearms are classified differently than a suppressor...I guess it doesn't really surprise me that you have to jump through ATF hoops.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was under the impression that you could make one for your own use and didn't have to jump through the hoops of the ATF... Kind of like manufacturing your own firearm.

Like as long as it wasn't ever out of your possession, it was OK.

But since firearms are classified differently than a suppressor...I guess it doesn't really surprise me that you have to jump through ATF hoops.

-J-

Nope. You absolutely must Form 1 a suppressor build unless you have a thing for Club Fed.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    weed is illegal too... as is converting your mini-14 to fire a little quicker than normal ;)

**this thread flagged by the Feds, dispatching agents to disrupt Right-Wing-Extremist-Hickman's SuperBowl plans**

antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i have made 1 with proper form 1 paperwork done, and just got my 2nd form 1 back in the mail fri. the 1st was for 22lr. made from alum tubing 1 1/8 o.dx.080 wallx8" long. made baffles out of valvespring retainers(titanium) and aluminum spacers to keep them apart from eachother. welded the endcaps on, threaded 1/2x24. had it anodized black, them ballmilled for specifics on can, serial # ect.
    the retainers were from a zx14 and were perfect i.d. and o.d. for this application. being semi-cone shaped. it is very lightweight and works great! i havent shot it side by side with anything yet, but seems to be good shooting into phonebooks. i made a bullit trap but is louder with bullit "smacking" against the steel backstop at 45 degree angle.
    i had materials sitting around along with the ti retainers, so nothing more than my time(4-5 hours) $15 for anodizing, and buddy milled specs for me. great sense of accomplishment! my 2nd form 1 is for 9mm, and i cant wait to get started on it. wanting to do threaded inserts so i can take apart for cleaning, and some knurling will be done as well. there are pics of my 1st can in "nfa pics". more to come soon on the 9mm.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Reps to those who responded. I guess I have a better idea of what is involved. I also see that once you have the proper paperwork in hand, that IF you had the tools and abilities, that making your own can is somewhat a no brainer (and apparently cheap!). I do have a mig machine and access to a drill press, sheet metal brake, but unfortunately my father sold his Bridgeport! I don't have a machining background, so I was kinda looking to see if this would be outside my abilities. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I also see that once you have the proper paperwork in hand, that IF you had the tools and abilities, that making your own can is somewhat a no brainer (and apparently cheap!).

You could make one with a plastic pop bottle, a rubber band, and some shaving cream. That's an extremely cheap and short-lasting suppressor to go with your $200 Form 1. :):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks Nate. I was going to search for that and post it, but decided I should wait to see if anybody beat me to it.

Regarding making that can, I had a lot of equipment at my disposal. The large tools/equipment I used were: plasma cutter, sheet metal break, heavy duty sheet metal shear, Tig welder, lathe, 25 ton press, lots of patience and advice from operators more experience than myself.

The absolute minimum for making a suppressor is a lathe. Most of the operations can be done on that if you design it properly. I chose a complicated design to improve weight/efficiency. It took me 2-3 years of reading/studying on silencertalk.com before taking the jump and designing/building my suppressor.

The single hardest part for somebody without a machining background is probably going to be keeping everything concentric, and single point threading the can/barrel. I practiced single point threading for a long time (8 months +) before I was willing to do the can. And I was still nervous because there is not second chance. Because the way my can is made I couldn't thread it until the end, and so you have all that work, and if you screw one thing up, you have to start all over. I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know what you're getting into before you take the jump.

I expect to have another one of those threads within a year. This times its going to be a Form 1 integrally suppresesd Ruger 22/45.

After that I think I might tackle trying to make a Form 1 DD 40mm launcher, but thats going to take a lot more on logistics because I'd basically be building a complete gun from scratch. That one may be 5 or 10 years down the road.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks CountryBoy19. I hope my comments didn't seem to minimize your work and process. I guess what I was saying that if you knew what you were doing, that it was merely a process. I've seen my father (a welder by trade), make jigs and frames and sidecars from scratch. It amazes me how he looks at something and figures out how to change it or copy it, or make it new. Seems that there are people that know their craft so well that they just know how to go about it. Nice work and hope to see more.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks CountryBoy19. I hope my comments didn't seem to minimize your work and process. I guess what I was saying that if you knew what you were doing, that it was merely a process. I've seen my father (a welder by trade), make jigs and frames and sidecars from scratch. It amazes me how he looks at something and figures out how to change it or copy it, or make it new. Seems that there are people that know their craft so well that they just know how to go about it. Nice work and hope to see more.
    No, not at all. I love to tinker and build things like this. Machining is just a hobby of mine actually. I'm not a machinist by trade, and I've never had any formal training, just asked questions when I couldn't figure it out on my own. Learning to single-point thread something was about the most training I ever got on a single topic, which was about a 20 minute demonstration, then I was told to go to town practicing. So the fact that I was able to accomplish this successfully is good enough for me. The DD launcher that I hope to build someday will probably be the single most complicated thing I've ever built.

Honestly, when it was all said and done, I probably would've come out about equal if I had just bought a commercial can (I had a lot of time invested in this if you consider design time as well), but with a Form 1 can you have the pride of making it yourself, and you can also make something that you can't buy. My can is actually a larger diameter than any .30 cal can I know of, and I wouldn't have been able to buy one like that. Also, my 22/45 design that I'm thinking of is not available commercially, and that is something that I'm really particular about. I want it to be assembled exactly how I want it to be, and that can't be done commercially, so I'll make it myself. The 22/45 project will also be much easier and less time-consuming than the 30 cal can.

Top Bottom