• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    In my case the difference was about 3 years and a bunch of money in attorney fees for a custody fight.

In broad brush strokes, a separation means you're still married. Some debts, such as child care and medical may be considered joint debts. Medicare and other similar programs will consider both incomes. You could still be on the hook for tax problems. Divorce means you're on your own and are not responsible for each other. Again, really broad strokes, but that the general idea.

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    during my seperation I had to pay whatever it took to maintain the house hold that meant I had to move back in with mom and dad. After the divorce I paid child support.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    If you do not have children and can communicate civilly with your ex, a "do-it-yourself" divorce is MUCH cheaper; worked out well for me. I'm not sure there are any real legal (or financial) advantages to legal separation--its more of a cooling off period in which your spouse can't incur legal debit, etc. in your name.

If you really can't work it out between the two of you, best to cut the ties and allow each of you to move on to a better life.

JMHO

Ronn

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Separation is when your wife "dates" everyone else to see if she can find someone better to be with while you pay all the bills. Divorce is when she finds that person.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Separation is the part where you drink a lot and sleep on your buddys couches, divorce is the part where you move into your parents apartment and pay support, all medical, half of childcare, and see the kids 3 days per week.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    For a serious answer, which I hope the OP wanted. A legal seperation is just that, a seperation of a married couple. It is very similar to a divorce in which neither one can be held responsible for debt incurred by the other. They are still responsible for debts incurred together as a married couple before the seperation. Hopefully at this time they can work on their marriage without the worry of either one of them running up a debt that the other will be responsible for.

Most people know that a divorce is the disolvement by the government of a marriage.

That in a nutshell is the difference between a legal separation and a divorce. IANAL so my statements are worth what you paid for them.

Top Bottom