Ditching Comcast for Uverse or DirecTV???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Since venturing out into the world on my own I have had Comcast...meh. Uverse...meh DirecTV...BINGO. I love direcTV. Had it a year so far and havent had the service go out but one time for like 2 minutes in a real bad storm. I can live with that. Especially to get the uncompressed digital signal with amazing HD picture quality that (HD) cable never came close to. I am a big fan of DirecTV and it only cost me about $47 a month for a decent plan. Now I have to find reliable internet because the ATT high speed that we have is horrible...Like no signal for hours, cuts in and out at all times, new modem, new routher, reset modem, reset the line. Called Habib countless times to jump through the same hoops and him tell me nothing is wrong. Please, whatever you do...do not subject yourself to ATT DSL internet.

Does DirectTV broadcast in 1080p instead of 720p? Is that the picture quality increase that your talking about?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I've had Comcast for many years, and now Uverse for about a year. No problem with CC customer service, though they could not fix my inconsistent Inet service. Neither could give me a price that wouldn't change on a monthly basis. Holding their feet to the fire every month or 2 kept the price in check (don't like this process). I'm still with Uverse, but my daughter has DirecTV and I was amazed by the picture quality, almost 3d like. I looked into their plans and didn't want to lock into a 2 yr plan. The ATT internet bundled with DirecTV would not get me a discount as I currently have that Inet package with Uverse. Signed up with Uverse for about $85/mo ($200 bucks back) and in less than a year it's about $124 (with them refunding $120 over the last several mos). It's really a time consuming, annoying game to keep them honest. After this deal runs out, I'm dropping my service and moving to Borneo to hang with the cannibals and headhunters. Life gets real again. Who wants my gun collection? Wait, I don't have a gun collection....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Uverse is not the old DSL that people think it is. With the old DSL you can get as high as 3 meg and that's it. U-verse is VDSL...... Google it.

90% of the people out there have Internet speeds that they don't even use.... Most phones can't even handle 24 meg that well. Comcast advertises 100 meg but how many people need that and how many computers can actually use it? I have 12 m and most days its plenty for me.

soon 100 meg speeds will be on the slow side for ALL providers.

yes there are some people who need 100 meg and their computers can handle it but that market is very small.

for those that have had issues with a particular service from a picture or speed standpoint any service is only as good as the installer that put it in. If you have Comcast and have a million splitters then guess what. If you have uverse and the gateway is not being fed on CAT5 wire coming from the phone box, the cable wall plate barrels are not blue..... Then guess what?

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have spent the last week trying to convince my wife to cut the cable. With AT&T I can get 18mbps internet and unlimited phone for $60/month. We have a Roku with Amazon prime and Hulu plus. Add Netflix and I think we will be fine. Time Warner took over my service and I loathe them.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Try dropping all of them keep the internet and use hulu and netflix.

I wanted to, but far too much of what we watch isn't available for free on Netflix/Hulu as I looked into going with AppleTV or a Roku. I also hate losing the stuff like espn and big ten network for football/basketball seasons. The feeds I know of online are too poor to want to use them for 100% of my viewing instead of only using it to watch something not showing up in our local market.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Uverse is not the old DSL that people think it is. With the old DSL you can get as high as 3 meg and that's it. U-verse is VDSL...... Google it.

90% of the people out there have Internet speeds that they don't even use.... Most phones can't even handle 24 meg that well. Comcast advertises 100 meg but how many people need that and how many computers can actually use it? I have 12 m and most days its plenty for me.

soon 100 meg speeds will be on the slow side for ALL providers.

yes there are some people who need 100 meg and their computers can handle it but that market is very small.

for those that have had issues with a particular service from a picture or speed standpoint any service is only as good as the installer that put it in. If you have Comcast and have a million splitters then guess what. If you have uverse and the gateway is not being fed on CAT5 wire coming from the phone box, the cable wall plate barrels are not blue..... Then guess what?

Uverse is Fiber to the node and then copper wiring to your house. EXACTLY the same copper wiring that drives your phones and DSL. And yes, I have 105/20 with Comcast and I get roughly 110 down and 25 up at times.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Uverse is Fiber to the node and then copper wiring to your house. EXACTLY the same copper wiring that drives your phones and DSL. And yes, I have 105/20 with Comcast and I get roughly 110 down and 25 up at times.

A lot of it now is either fiber to your home or gauge wire that is far thicker then old phone wire...... A lot of the new stuff is the same gauge roughly as the copper in the Comcast coax... Copper is copper is copper regardless if its in a coax line or cat5.

uverse is designed to be fed on cat5 inside... That's high speed wire so when Comcast says old phone wire it is not exactly accurate.

people have their favorites and that's fine..... I know someone that had a higher end Comcast Internet package that was super fast but when two people when two x boxes were being played online in the home at the same time it would lag bad and nobody else could use it.

there is no perfect service I assure you.

before we bash any service lets remember that all providers use roughly the same gauge copper and copper is copper.

why do people call uverse dsl when a simple google will tell you that it is not DSL?????

not trying to support one provider or the other each has its perks... Just hate when people post things that are not accurate.

Last edited:

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    I used to have Comcast and had all the same problems. I switched to Uverse and I liked it just fine, I recently switched to Cinergy Metronet and let me say if you can switch to them it is AWESOME!!! Just my .02

Top Bottom