• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    Just one real concern about donating it - often they just want to have you give them the title unsigned, or without them signing it so they can pass the title on to the new owner. However, the new "owner" just might not title it, and you are still on the books as the owner. I donated a car to a charity a while back and got a ticket and a towing charge 3 years later. Seems the "new owner" abandoned the car on a side street in Indy - IMPD ticketed it and had it towed and impounded - came up with my name as the owner. Luckily I had the receipt from the charity and MANY conversations and letters later got them and the towing company off my backside.

Maybe you could just push it into a retention pond....?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just one real concern about donating it - often they just want to have you give them the title unsigned, or without them signing it so they can pass the title on to the new owner. However, the new "owner" just might not title it, and you are still on the books as the owner.

That makes no sense. Even if you sign the title, they could still just not title it and you'd still be "on the books" as the owner.

brown trix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Morgan County
    If the car runs have a little fun drain the oil out of it, make sure you have gas in it, start it and drop a brick on the gas pedal and take 20 dollar bets when the engine will blow, then take in for scrap and still
    get $400 for it , did this last fall at a party for a friend who had medical problems and made about $4000.00 for him, $20.00 dollar a guess, and the car ran for over a hour,

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That makes no sense. Even if you sign the title, they could still just not title it and you'd still be "on the books" as the owner.

I had this happen to me. Sold an old Geo Storm to a guy I knew, held the title until he paid in full, sign the back when he did. He apparently never titled it. I got a call from the Brookfield IL PD saying they found my car abandon and it was impounded. I said I had sold it months ago. They said it was still in my name and asked if I wanted it. I didn't even ask how much to get it back, I knew he had killed it if he just left it on the side of the road. I told them they could keep it. They said okay.

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette

May not have said it clearly enough - need to have the charity sign the title also - as in "transfer the title to the charity". Once signed over to them, you are off the hook for any liability, the charity has taken on the responsibility.

subsequent edit: Just read Eric's post - maybe I'm wrong, just reporting what I was told by the INDY police on how to avoid the problem if I ever donated another vehicle. :dunno:

Last edited:

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    Depending on the condition and if you want to mess with it, it might be worth parting it out. I know several people who buy wrecked 4Runners and part them out. They pay 1k-2k for them and make a profit on them. I would think a Navigator is a type of vehicle that people would buy parts from. It may be worth your time it may not be. Try searching the internet for Navigator forums and see if people part them out.

Top Bottom