• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Today while shooting I ended up with three .223 rounds that I won't use.

1. Bullet was pushed into the 223 casing while I was unloading my gear. Gun powder came out but the bullet is still in the case. I can use my bullet puller to get the bullet out but the case neck is cracked. So unstable to reload but it has a LIVE primer on it.

2. I have 2 rounds with a large dimple on the side of the case. Part of the same accident of gear landing on the ammo as in #1. Bullet still seated, full of gunpowder. I can reuse the bullet by pulling it and the gun powder but again what do I do with the live primer still in the case?

Any ideas?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Today while shooting I ended up with three .223 rounds that I won't use.

1. Bullet was pushed into the 223 casing while I was unloading my gear. Gun powder came out but the bullet is still in the case. I can use my bullet puller to get the bullet out but the case neck is cracked. So unstable to reload but it has a LIVE primer on it.

2. I have 2 rounds with a large dimple on the side of the case. Part of the same accident of gear landing on the ammo as in #1. Bullet still seated, full of gunpowder. I can reuse the bullet by pulling it and the gun powder but again what do I do with the live primer still in the case?

Any ideas?
    Throw them in the trash. I think you're overthinking this. You're talking about primers, not fully charged rounds. If you're really worried, soak them in some motor oil for a day or two before throwing them away.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Use the puller to pull the bullet and powder.
    throw away the bullet.
    burn the powder

The primer, you can deprime it. Then smack with a hammer.
    Or, smack it in the case.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Use the puller to pull the bullet and powder.
    throw away the bullet.
    burn the powder

The primer, you can deprime it. Then smack with a hammer.
    Or, smack it in the case.
    Do all the above, EXCEPT burn the powder ... use it as fertilizer in your garden ... lots and lots of yummy nitrogen for your plants.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I keep a can at my bench that I collect any bad ammo. Crushed cases, upside down primers, non gaugeable, deformed Bullets, split cases etc. when I am all caught up (usually on a bad day of weather) I pull the Bullets and powder, neuter the primer (different methods as posted) and discard the brass into my spent primer buckets. When they get heavy I Drop them off at the metal recycling place on US 31 and 226.

Thank you for not just throwing them into the weeds at the range.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Meh just throw it in the fireplace...

Please don't do that.
    Mythbusters did an episode on putting ammo in the fireplace and could not get any to discharge. I still would’t do it!

Disclaimer: As an engineer Mythbusters did put a good bit of thought into their work, but at times they had me scratching my head on some basic principles they seemed to completely omit, at least on the final cut version of the aired show.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a universal decapping die. When I get a bad round, once in a while, I put them in a can. I pull the bullets, save the powder, carefully de-prime the primer and reuse them. Why waste primers when they cost around a dime a piece, when you can find them?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    After you pull the bullets and dump the powder, send the primed brass to Alec Baldwin with a note saying to only use these in the future and stay at least 6 feet away from the target!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I had a hundred or so .223 primed cases that had signs of having been wet at some point. I gently deprimed them in my press and tossed the primers in the trash after soaking for a day in a glass of water.

Top Bottom