"dispersed camping" in national forests?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    anyone ever done any dispersed camping in the national forests? If so, please tell me your experiences.
    I am considering a cheapo mini-vacation this summer, and that might be the route to go...
    TIA

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have camped all over NF and the BLM. If you can stand being away from services it's the only way to fly.

Just be sure of the local regulations, some NFs have places where camping is not allowed and it's a patchwork quilt like that. National Forests don't always have contiguous boundaries and there are lots of private inholdings and the like. Each regional office can sell you topo maps with the forest boundaries on them.

caserace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    I dont know about hoosier national, but in morgan-monroe there is a 10 mile loop called the low gap trail and there is a primitive back country camp site at the end of the trail. Also the Tecumsa (sp) trail is close by.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Any recommendations in the hoosier state for weekend getaway? I would like to stay north but ...... Ya ...... Ideas?
    How remote are you looking to get?

You can do anything from camping right beside trails in the Deem Wilderness area all the way to camping in the middle of nowhere, no trails in etc.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    This is the way to go, the wife and I have done this several times, although we usually go to southern KY. 7 or 8 miles out in the woods and hills away from everyone else is great.

Plus its really cheap. I was laid off for over a year so the only cost was gas to get there.

Just keep the protection close by, never had to use it, but we are always prepared when we are deep in the woods and hours from any 911 services.

Gratefulmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    I done a bunch of dispersed camping in national forests when I lived in Colorado. It's my favorite kind. National Forests are all the same, as they're run by the Fed. It is my understanding that dispersed camping is ok anywhere in a national forest, (within certain limits, like a 14 day limit, check the USFS website for details) however it is strongly encouraged to use an existing site (for damage control) National forests are littered with fire rings. I too am in the market for dispersed camping in Hoosier. In Colorado basically you need to find a national forest access road. These were typically gravel. You drive on that until you find a dirt road. If it's your first time there you should get there when it's still day light. Then just look side to side for a place to park and find a fire ring. The tuff part for me has been locating the national forest access roads here in Indiana. Once you find an access road you're your golden.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    wildhare - where did you see the no camping signs? were they in one of the dnr properties such as hardin ridge, paynetown, etc or on national forest property like the deam wilderness, for example?

we need more details...

i interpret dispersed camping as setting up camp somewhere other than an established campground. primitive camping, if you will. likely in a place without a guard shack with a minimum amount of rules.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    There are "No Camping" signs at Allens Creek, near the ramp/pit toilets. They are new this year. As far as Lake Monroe on the east side, near Deam Wilderness, I have not seen any signs prohibiting camping.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Within reason, you can camp anywhere in Deam wilderness.
    I forget the actual regs, but it's something like anywhere that's 100 yards from trails, water, and roads.
    Yes I've camped a few times in Deam wilderness.
    this weekend I camped in Morgan Monroe. They are a bit stricter about where you camp. They have the camp grounds and then an area designated as back country that you can camp in. (Which is where I camped.)
    Good luck to you and be safe

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    There are "No Camping" signs at Allens Creek, near the ramp/pit toilets. They are new this year. As far as Lake Monroe on the east side, near Deam Wilderness, I have not seen any signs prohibiting camping.

this makes sense as i remember reading in the paper a while back about allens creek being abused by partiers and the like. the "no camping signs all over" statement threw me for a loop since the wife and i tromp around all over the east side of the lake and have never seen such signs. we tend to stay on the east side of the lake as things are a little more peaceful over there and it's a little more kayak/canoe/backpacker friendly.

so yeah, camp wherever you want in the HNF as long as there's not a no camping sign posted and you follow the few criteria laid forth by the forest service. :yesway:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    this makes sense as i remember reading in the paper a while back about allens creek being abused by partiers and the like. the "no camping signs all over" statement threw me for a loop since the wife and i tromp around all over the east side of the lake and have never seen such signs. we tend to stay on the east side of the lake as things are a little more peaceful over there and it's a little more kayak/canoe/backpacker friendly.

so yeah, camp wherever you want in the HNF as long as there's not a no camping sign posted and you follow the few criteria laid forth by the forest service. :yesway:
    Thats dissapointing... Why do they have to put the kaibosh on people having a good time? I understand the partying that goes on, but I don't know why they feel they need to stop it? Whats the big deal? :dunno:
    I wonder if that rule extends out to the point, or just around the toilets and ramp??

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    allen's creek is a state recreation area meaning it has additional rules above and beyond those of the HNF or the lake in general. the herald times story on it pointed to staff cuts, illegal activities, trash left behind, and 'rowdiness' as reasons it is closed to camping. sounds like there had been some particular trouble there and safety is the general concern.

i'm not very familiar with that area of the lake other than dropping a line in the water near the boat ramp a few times so i can't really attest to any of those allegations. i wouldn't rate any of the 'state recreation areas' as dispersed camping, anyhow. there are TONS of other places available for that.

hope this helps...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We have camped "dispersed" in Hoosier National.We have also been to Superior National Forest in northern Minnesota(https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ss/100488-16_days_of_camping.html#post1167898).

We have never had any problems doing so.Even the rangers we have run into in Indiana have been polite and respectful.Check at a ranger station(at least call)and check on any burn restriction.Other than that pack out what you pack in and have fun!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    I did some dispersed camping in the smokies a few weeks ago. My GF and I had a free trip to Tennessee so we took advantage of it, invited some friends, and showed up a week early for a hike along the Apalachan Trail. I learned that my tent can't hold out water worth a damn, and I learned a lot of little things about my camping style/tool selection.

While we were up there, we had 2 black bear encounters, one was with a momma and her cubs. There was also a night we were surrounded by kackling yotes. I'm a city boy and that **** freaked me out. When doing dispersed camping, tie your food/garbage up in a tree off of a weak limb. Don't hesitate to bring a handgun on a backpacking trip. My girlfriend had her mace in case the bears got too close, but black bears seem to be very scared of humans.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    What is "dispersed" camping? Is that like just walking into the forest and setting up a camp?

Growing up, we called it backpacking, but backpacking is too broad a term I guess so the term "dispersed" camping was thought up. Someone probably needed to justify their existence and thought this one up.
    Kinda like our Quality Dept. at work. How in the hell did we ever make it this far without the venerable QA Dept. telling us how to do our jobs! Sorry, that's another thread.

Top Bottom