Discover credit card? You might want to read this....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im doing my best to screw them. They like to send out 12+mo no interest transfers. Not even a transfer fee. (the only card that does that Ive seen)

Just last December we wanted a new sectional (OK, the wife did, I loved the old one) and they had one of those.

So I charged it on my Amex to get the points, transferred it to discover, and now we are paying it off in full over the next 11 months. And they wont see a dime of my money via interest.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    i assume they already do this. not a stretch of the imagination when you learn about how much of our shopping habits and such data are already being collected

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I ditched Discover a few years ago when they blocked people from using the card from funding some other topic they didn't like. I don't remember exactly what it was. It may have been that they blocked donations to Kyle Rittenhouse's legal defense fund. Something like that.

All that said, I don't use any credit cards anymore since drinking the Dave Ramsey Kool-Aid. Debt is dumb, cash is king and all that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All that said, I don't use any credit cards anymore since drinking the Dave Ramsey Kool-Aid. Debt is dumb, cash is king and all that.
    CC can be cash if one is disciplined enough to pay it off early and often. You don’t have to even wait for a bill to pay it down or off. We are up to near $3000 a year in cash back for thing’s formerly paid by debit card or check. BBI gets similar value for his vacations.

My current strategy is ask for a discount for cash, if yes, cash it is, if no, CC it is for cash back…

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    CC can be cash if one is disciplined enough to pay it off early and often. You don’t have to even wait for a bill to pay it down or off. We are up to near $3000 a year in cash back for thing’s formerly paid by debit card or check. BBI gets similar value for his vacations.

My current strategy is ask for a discount for cash, if yes, cash it is, if no, CC it is for cash back…
    Sure.

At the risk of turning this thread into one about the merits of debt or not, here are a couple of points on on topics you raised.

* Studies show that paying with cash activates pain receptors in the brain that don't activate when paying with a credit card. People feel the pain more when forking over Benjamin Franklins and they tend to spend less per transaction with cash. Some numbers I have seen are somewhere in the range of 20-25% less.

* Even if they pay off the balance every month, most people spend more because they are chasing after points or cash back and use that to justify putting more on the credit card than they otherwise would have. I'm sure there are some that resist doing this, but most people fall into the marketing game and use cash back and points as justification. I heard an interview with one of the marketing people at a credit card company and she described something like 16,000 different customer profiles* they built and use to get people to spend more. Some people want to get cash back. Others like airline miles. Some like interest free balance transfers. There are literally thousands of different rewards configurations they use to find the optimal package for individuals based on those personas. (It's been a while since I listened to it, so numbers may be fuzzy. Link below.)

* No one is building wealth based on airline miles or cash back rewards. Assuming a 2% cash back return, you'd have to spend $100k on a card to earn $2,000 cash back. Whoopie. How much of that $100k was money spent in the pursuit of cash back?

Ramsey Solutions recently conducted the largest survey of millionaires ever done. They studied over 10,000 millionaires to find out how they built wealth, their views on money, saving habits, behavior, income, investments, etc. Not one out of those 10,000 millionaires said they built wealth through airline miles, cash back, or vacation points. Not one.

In fact, only 6% of millionaires say they have credit card debt. (Compared to 40% of the general population). And 73% of them said they had never had credit card debt in their life. (Compared to just 34% of the general population.)

IMG_20230306_155031.jpg

The banks are making money off you whether you realize it or not. You aren't beating them at the game they invented.

Just some food for thought.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Top Bottom