• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Hey guys, last Sunday I made it out to the skeet range, and found that my Ruger Red Label was having FTF about 1 in every 3 or 4 shots. It appeared to be having light primer hits. After taking it home and dismantling it I found that it had a broken cocking rod spring. Ruger part number ou04401. Upon finding this I checked brownells, midway, and even Ruger only to find that the spring was no longer manufactured, and that the only way I was getting it repaired is to send it back to Ruger. I honestly don't want to ship my shotgun over a tiny spring. Does anyone know of anywhere that deals in discontinued gun parts?

I contacted Ruger and they said they didn't have any that they could send me in their parts department but they would be happy to have me ship it back to them for repair.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Thanks. RUGER actually refered me here but my shotgun is older than the one pictured in the diagram, and they didn't have the spring I needed.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As I remember the Red Label is an all coil spring design. Have you gotten measurments of the spring and tried to match one up locally? I have repaired quite a few firearms with other springs. Also, Brownells has a wide variety of non specific application springs and spring stock for fabricating customs. I have a 100 year old break open shotgun that has a sear spring made out of a diaper pin, it has worked that way for 20 years.

Also, you might try trapshooters.com. After the usual morons make fun of you for not shooting a $10,000 Krieghoff, someone may give you a lead to a source.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Call me crazy, but that looks a lot like a clothespin spring. Not the common wood ones, but I have seen some wide plastic ones with a similar spring.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Also, you might try trapshooters.com. After the usual morons make fun of you for not shooting a $10,000 Krieghoff, someone may give you a lead to a source.

trap shooters can be snobs!, but my dad shot his first (and only) clean round witha red label

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Papa, are you coming to the NRA Annual Meeting? You may want to consider asking for the part at the meeting.:D I have found the gun makers very receptive to inquiries there.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Unwind one turn off the broken end's coil, straighten it, make a bend, stick it back in the gun. I bet it works.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    They didn't say but after unwinding the spring I can't seem to get it to fit properly so I'm going to call them Monday when they reopen.

Top Bottom