• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Are there any disabled shooters that can give advice? I'm a disabled veteran confined to a wheelchair interested in competition shooting. I'm not much of a shotgunner or air rifle type. What's available in pistol or high power rifle? What's the best way to get involved?

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Thanks! Do I just show up and talk to people or should I call ahead? I know I wouldn't be allowed to shoot the first time through the door.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thanks! Do I just show up and talk to people or should I call ahead? I know I wouldn't be allowed to shoot the first time through the door.

just let us know what you like to shoot. Steel is great for those that aren't mobile as others, as we start from a low ready and shoot from the same spot.

Coach and many other Riley members will chime in as they see this.

and we always tell people to bring their guns, because they always wish they had. ;)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

You can shoot first time through. Just be safe with the gun, keep the muzzle downrange, finger out of the trigger guard when manipulating the gun. Riley's match is the first Saturday of the Month. Make sure you have enough mags (5 or more) for your weapon. You can shoot from a holster (I've seen competitors have a rig on the side or the front of the chair...as long as you don't sweep yourself) or keep the gun bagged. There aren't many stages that require movement in steel matches.

Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game is the 2nd Friday of the month at 6:00 p.m. (yeah, it was last Friday)

Atlanta's steel match is the 3rd Sunday of the month (North of Indy, probably a two hour drive for you).

I'm sure others will chime in to help you out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Steel matches are the place to shoot and you can defintely do this. We will let you drive down to the stages. Send me an email and I will add you to my email announcement list.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We just finished installing a wheelchair accessible bathroom at MCFG, and we installed a motorized gate to make shooting at our range more handicap accessible. Regarding shooting from a wheelchair at shooting matches, we've had competitors come out in wheelchairs, but be aware that you'll likely be on grass or some gravel. Feel free to check out our range if you're interested, and feel free to come to Friday Night Steel if you think it's something you'd enjoy.

www.IndyRange.org

MCFG Indy Range - Friday Night Steel

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Thank you gentlemen! I'm very interested in the Steel Challenge. I appreciate your patience.

Coach, I think you may already have my e-mail. I've taken a few courses with you and Joe. The first time I was in my chair. The second I had on a set of very special high tech braces. I'll send it to you just in case though.

Is there a site that will tell me more like how the average stage is set up, guns that can be used? Also, I have a youngster at home that' s started to get into shooting. Is there a junior or beginners league? Due to my disabilities there are few things we can do together. Fortunately shooting is one of them.

Oops. Guess I should pay better attention. I found the beginners thread.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Thank you gentlemen! I'm very interested in the Steel Challenge. I appreciate your patience.

Coach, I think you may already have my e-mail. I've taken a few courses with you and Joe. The first time I was in my chair. The second I had on a set of very special high tech braces. I'll send it to you just in case though.

Is there a site that will tell me more like how the average stage is set up, guns that can be used? Also, I have a youngster at home that' s started to get into shooting. Is there a junior or beginners league? Due to my disabilities there are few things we can do together. Fortunately shooting is one of them.

:yesway:

Look forward to meeting you at Riley someday.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I remember. I am not sure I have your email. Check out Steel Challenge rules and stages at www.uspsa.org. We use four steel challenge stages each month at Riley. Young men and ladies are welcome if they are safe. We had a 9 year old and an 11 year old last month. Rimfire has a division.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

DUDE! Did you change your userid?? I did not recognize you. I was actually going to mention you as an example to "Rampdog" of what someone who wants to do it can accomplish!

Here is the Steel Challenge web site: SCSA

The steel matches at AtlantaCC and at RileyCC are operated the same way. Almost all stages are "stand and shoot," although occasionally you'll see a stage that requires a step or two.

It's an excellent opportunity for your son as well. We have quite a few "family" teams who are regulars at the various clubs.

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    Hey!!! Nope. no change. I just found this site a few days ago. I'm really stoked about getting into this now. I got real busy ovder the past year and couldn't do much. This spring and summer looks to be pretty wide open so I can devote time to my shooting.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    There was a gentleman who shot IDPA with us numerous times from a wheelchair. He had his holster mounted on the side of it. He would move to a position, draw and shoot, holster, repeat. The only thing we all got tired of was repeating "down zero" when we scored his targets!!! ;) That guy could shoot! I honestly dont recall him getting anything but perfect hits...

Point being, it can be done. As everyone above said steel would be a great way to shoot as well.

Hope to see you at a match soon!

Top Bottom