• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im in the market for a new digital scale. right now i have a frankford arsenal scale i got from midway for 20-25 bucks and its just not cutting the mustard for me. it will varry a couple hundredths of a grain alot.

so my question is what do you use for precision reloading or what do you recomend. id like to spend 50-100 but dont want to buy another scale that wont do what i want.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think the Pact Digital scale is available from Midway for $120 or so. I have used a 1st Gen for around 20 years. It is very accurate when used within its limitations.

How do I know it is accurate? I doublecheck with a balance beam scale after calibrating it. IMO every reloader should have a balance beam for this reason alone. I use the Lee version.

While you are deciding on a scale to buy, you should check that your environment is friendly to sensitive digital scales. The scale should be perfectly level on a solid sturdy surface. It should be plugged into a circuit that is not subject to lots of fluctuation of loads on it. There should be no moving air currents or changing air temps in the area where weighing is being conducted. I do my reloading in my basement because I can control air movement and temps by leaving the windows closed and the furnace/AC ducts shut off.

I have also noticed that sometimes, after pouring the charge into the weighing pan, if I leave my hand near the scale, the weight is different from when I move my hand away. Static electricity? Maybe. So I always move my hand away after pouring the charge.

BTW, balance beams are sensitive to air currents also.

Regards

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Get the Dillon one! You won't be sorry! It's not cheap though! :yesway:
    2pple0l.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not a fan of digital scales.... floresent lighting drafts from the hvac or even a door opening and closing can effect its reading... for precision stuff i like the redding beam scale

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    do you weigh each charge with the beam scale? if so is it a extreamly slow process?

For precision rifle.... yes and yes.... i have a rcbs powder drop and i drop a charge just under what i want... dump it on the scale and tricke in the rest to the exact charge i want... no variation for me....
    here are some pics of my powder process...

Powder drop

P2050043.jpg

and scale and powder trickler....

P2050040.jpg

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i do the same thing as far as drop the power low and trickle it to what i know want. i dont know mabye i want to reconsider the whole digital scale and go to a beam. the time it takes me to reload really isn't a factor on my precision reloads because i really enjoy trying to make them perfect and i could always keep my digital for loads i dont need so precise.

thanks for all the input folks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    For precision rifle.... yes and yes.... i have a rcbs powder drop and i drop a charge just under what i want... dump it on the scale and tricke in the rest to the exact charge i want... no variation for me....
    here are some pics of my powder process...

Powder drop

P2050043.jpg

and scale and powder trickler....

P2050040.jpg

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!
    Listen to Indy guys! If you do this for precision reloads, they are as perfect as you can make them! :patriot: Drop low and trickle to exact!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Could always buy the RCBS, Lyman, or Pact scale, then buy the electronic dispenser that mounts up to it.
    I love my RCBS Chargemaster dispenser. For precision loads, I always double check with my balance beam scale.

Not sure what I'll do when I set up my Dillon...

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Get a Prometheus...only way to go for volume and precision.

MVC-017F.jpg
    By golly, that's what a reloading bench should look like. I'm tired of all these pictures of reloading benches that don't look like they've been used, you know, all clean and stuff.

BTW, I got the Neva scale in today and I'd recommend it. It appears to be accurate and repeatable. I checked it against my beam scale and threw several loads at it and it was right each time. It is quick too, you don't have to wait for the reading to "settle".

Thanks Kludge!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i kind of looked around yesterdat at the 1500. the thing that turned me off to beam scales was the lee one i usto have. i never even used it i didn't like how you measured tenths on it. but i looked at a lyman (pretty much the only beam scale there) and i liked the was it measures tenths alot better plus it doesn't have that little ball rolling around like my lee.

so i noticed the lyman has a plastic base. from what i understand alot o beam scales use that same style beam, but do other brands have a more durable base?

Top Bottom