• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Just wanting some information from people who own a Harris (or preferably Harris AND Caldwell) bipod.

I own 4 different Caldwell bipods (roughly $40, each...1 tilting, 3 "regular"). I mostly just use them for shooting off a bench on my .22s, and for that they serve their purpose very well. I'm tossing around the idea of building a nice .308 bolt gun, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be mounting a nice Harris on it, mainly due to their reputation. I have never heard exactly what it is that makes the Harris products so much better than other brands though.

Materials? Machining/build quality? Weight?

Anyone have any experience with both care to chime in?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

This. I've seen many a cheap copy break on the range. You will find many people who have used the cheap bipods with no complaints. You may or may not be able to do the same. Some of it depends on how you shoot. If you just lay gently behind the rifle the Caldwell may be fine. If you like to see your hits or remain on target with a .308 you're going to have to load that bipod and the cheaper models don't hold up well to that kind of force.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you like to see your hits or remain on target with a .308 you're going to have to load that bipod and the cheaper models don't hold up well to that kind of force.

This,

If you load a cheapo bipod like you should then you will see the diffrence.

If you use your bipod as a front rest shooting more free recoil you might not be able to tell the diffrence.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    This information is what I was after. I'm typically shoot .22's from a slick concrete bench, so my cheapie Caldwells don't see much loading, but the rifles aren't hopping around on me either. When I have shot my other .308 from the bench, I do see a pretty good hop during recoil. I had heard of loading the bipod to drive the stock into the shoulder pocket, but didn't realize it was to help reduce hop as well. Makes sense. I could see a bipod taking some serious stress if you load it heavily. It sounds like that's what really separates Harris and Atlas and "all the rest."

Thanks for the input, guys!

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    Remember you get what you pay for, as said above you load the bipod you will see the difference between the two. I use the Harris on my ar's and atlas on my 308 bolt gun for a reason.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I run an Atlas on my .308 now but a Harris will hold up to substantial loading. When I still had my .308 gasser pictured below I had aftermarket feet on it which allowed me to load it a ton which is what was required to get the accuracy out of it. It never missed a beat, the Harris is a solid bipod.

IMG_5986.jpg

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Just wanting some information from people who own a Harris (or preferably Harris AND Caldwell) bipod.

I own 4 different Caldwell bipods (roughly $40, each...1 tilting, 3 "regular"). I mostly just use them for shooting off a bench on my .22s, and for that they serve their purpose very well. I'm tossing around the idea of building a nice .308 bolt gun, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be mounting a nice Harris on it, mainly due to their reputation. I have never heard exactly what it is that makes the Harris products so much better than other brands though.

Anyone have any experience with both care to chime in?

Check out HHRP.org, come to the next outdoor Rifle shoot
    I have a harris and a bsquare but I'm sure about every brand possible will be represented.

Plus you might have fun

Top Bottom