difference in Ruger SP and GP revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all,
    a recent post made me look at these 2 revolvers more closely.
    Can anyone highlight the differences in the 2 (ruger SP101 and GP100)
    Also, which would you recommend and why?
    This would be a car/house gun, also a general fun gun for range time and perhaps as an outdoor companion. I'm leaning towards .357 and about 4" barrel.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    The gp100 is the larger frame, it hold six rounds. The Sp101 is the smaller 5 shot model. The sp would be better for concealed carry but the Gp would be a better target or hunting pistol. I would recommend the GP, I love mine. It's accurate and built like a tank. Since you want a 4 inch, I think you would be limited to the gp as I don't recall if they make an Sp with a barrel longer than 3 inches.

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    I do all kinds of things with my GP100. I hunt, target and competition shoot with it, and it never fails to amaze me. I have the 6" barrel, though.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've owned a GP in .357 and currently own a SP in .22. I had to make a trade for something my wife wanted. As much as I miss my GP, I've really learned to like the SP. Yeah, I know, the caliber difference makes it hard to compare the two even. The frame size is much smaller for my longer fingers/larger hands, so in that aspect I miss the GP a lot. As for quality, I'd trust either. Both ran flawless and were very nice shooters. If it were for carry, I'd go with a SP in your choice of calibers. If it's for mainly range shooting, go with the GP (though the SP won't dissapoint either). I just liked the heavier built GP more. YMMV.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    As stated above the SP fits my little girly hands a little better, but not by much. The GP is pretty ergonomic, too. Either one would serve you well. They remind me of Smith J frames and K/L frames in size. Do post up pix and reports of whichever you get. And good luck deciding!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have an 2.5" SP with monogrips as a backup. Had a tritium big dot front sight installed and an action job. Slick, reliable easy to shoot and feels good in my hand. Can shoot .357's without discomfort.

ALso have an older Security Six with a Hogue monogrip. Even more comfortable and accurate to shoot and but large for concealed carry. For car/house go with a GP 4 inch, you could not wear that gun out in your lifetime and it will be a great companion in the woods also

Top Bottom