• ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    New shooter here.

What's the difference between IDPA and USPSA? Been to both websites. To my untrained eye, they look similar...?

Esssplain it to me Lucy...

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    IDPA

• Concealment - most scenarios require the use of a concealment garment (e.g. vest, coat, shirt).
    • Cover - if cover is available, you must use it. Failure to do so will incur a penalty.
    • Magazine changes - you cannot abandon magazines with ammo remaining in them.
    • Magazines - only two available on the belt
    • Round count - max scenario length is 18 rounds
    • Magazines - no division allows more than 10 rds in a mag, or more than 11 rounds in the gun at the start.
    • Electronic sights, compensators, external competition modifications - not allowed
    • Holsters/mag holders - must meet certain requirements regarding space between the holster and the body. Holsters and mag holders must cover a substantial part of the firearm.
    USPSA

• Cover/concealment - not required
    • Magazines - only Limited 10 and Production division place limits on magazines. Open and Limited do not. No limit on the number of magazines carried.
    • Round count - 32 rounds max in sanctioned matches. Most clubs adhere to this. Occasionally you'll see higher.
    • Electronic sights/compensators - allowable in Open division
    • External competition modifications - many are allowed, depends on division.
    • Holsters/mag holders - generally, only a spacing restriction between the body and magazine. Production has most restrictive requirements. Race holsters ok in all divisions except Single Stack and Production.

These are general and there are others.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Slight addition to Slow1911s post

IDPA
    - Targets must always be shot in a particular order or sequence
    - Time down scoring, ie lesser scoring hits add time to your stage time and your overall time is your score
    -Typically distances are shorter though not mandated in rule
    - Typically total number of rounds needed for the match will be much less

USPSA
    - Targets are typically shot freestyle in whatever order you feel best suits your strategy.
    -Scoring is a combination of points and time for a "Hit Factor"
    - Distance can still be very close, contact distance, but will occasionally stretch to 25 yards and on rare occasion, beyond. Freestyle platform gives you more choices for longer shots.
    - Typical stages would be a minimum of 18 rounds or so. Full 32 round stages are very common. In Europe, the 3-2-1 rule, 3 short stages to 2 med stage to 1 long stage is followed, not so here in the US

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In addition, the games are a lot more similar than they are different. The primary differences you'll experience at a match are more of a factor of the specific group of people than the sports themselves.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Frankly I want to do both, but so far have only done IDPA and love it. LOVE IT.

Fun. As. Heck.

And last saturday, we got free chili.

FREE.CHILI.

I mean, comon. :)

Edit: Whoops, hit enter.

What I was going to say is, go here and click on courses of fire to get an idea of what IDPA courses are like.

IndyIDPA

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got a buddy telling me "you can't shoot your 9, those guys will laugh you out of the place. only girls shoot 9's..."

He's a member of ACC so I won't tell you his name. He could just be messing with me. But he's a good guy because he followed up with an offer to let me use any of his guns.

I want to do this stuff, but I want to shoot cost effectively. Where I place isn't important at all to start.

So what's the truth?

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Truth is only kids shoot 9s. Even my wife shoots a 40! :D

Shoot what you have. Lots of people shoot 9s. Yes you will have the "real men shoot 45" click, but who cares. There are plenty of plastic 40 and 9 shooters at both.

I jumped into both. Let whoever you are shooting with know you are new and they will help you through both.

Have fun, be safe. You can figure out what works for you and if it happens to be a cool 45 so be it.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I got a buddy telling me "you can't shoot your 9, those guys will laugh you out of the place. only girls shoot 9's..."

He's a member of ACC so I won't tell you his name. He could just be messing with me. But he's a good guy because he followed up with an offer to let me use any of his guns.

I want to do this stuff, but I want to shoot cost effectively. Where I place isn't important at all to start.

So what's the truth?

There are a lot of nines that play the game(s). It is best to shoot production with a 9 in USPSA where power factor is not a concern. If you shoot nine in any other division, it will cost you points. Power factor and reloading is another thread in itself.

With that being mentioned, reloading is almost essential if you are going to play the games every weekend like most of us do.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    When can we expect the season to start up again in 2011? I am trying to set a goal of at least 3 matches of USPSA. I think Niles, MI is the closest for the South Bend/Mishawaka folks right?

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Both organizations are "games" with different rules. Pick which ever fits your schedule, then try the other to see if you prefer one over the other. Like any other endeavorer, you'll find people you like and people you don't care to have dinner with. That's just the way it is.
    If you improve your "shooting" skills, and have fun in the process, you've won.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I see in the new shooter thread things start back up in March or so. I'll ask again though for the South Bend/Mishawaka area do people go to Niles or where else?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see in the new shooter thread things start back up in March or so. I'll ask again though for the South Bend/Mishawaka area do people go to Niles or where else?

You could go there, or you could go to North Porter County, Warsaw, FWAPS near Ft. Wayne, or Angola.

Top Bottom