• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been on vacation and haven't been following this very closely but I ran a "drill" yesterday. 10 rounds off hand, 40 yards in 9.90 seconds. Only 5 rounds on target. 3 more on the paper and 2 "gone". This was on a NRA B16 target.

I'd say that guy is a fairly accomplished shooter.

I think these distances would be a case where I would do better with a red dot vs. irons.

I may try it next week once the drill becomes standardized, lol.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    If there is any saving grace in this the murderer was white. No crying screaming family looking for “Justus” for the deceased crap bag as he was a good boy. No media putting mom and the aunt that raised him in our faces screaming for riots and marches and looting.
    Now, call me a racist.
    For the ones that personally know you….your no racist…

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been on vacation and haven't been following this very closely but I ran a "drill" yesterday. 10 rounds off hand, 40 yards in 9.90 seconds. Only 5 rounds on target. 3 more on the paper and 2 "gone". This was on a NRA B16 target.

I'd say that guy is a fairly accomplished shooter.

I think these distances would be a case where I would do better with a red dot vs. irons.

I may try it next week once the drill becomes standardized, lol.
    If you regularly practice at 50 with a full silhouette before you know it that distance will not be a challenge.
    Being stuck at 21’ all the time might get you tight in close conflict but push your distance. You might be surprised.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That word has lost all context. It is a huge hammer we have allowed to be wielded against us when all else fails.
    I agree, still not going to call you it.

Heck I agree with your original statement. I have seen whites do it, but it does seem more prevalent with blacks. Riots as well, although there are frequently quite a few whites mixed in on those.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If you regularly practice at 50 with a full silhouette before you know it that distance will not be a challenge.
    Being stuck at 21’ all the time might get you tight in close conflict but push your distance. You might be surprised.
    Back in the day (until the later 1990’s) Indiana LE handgun qualification course was 60 rounds with a 12 shot stage at 50 yards.

From shooting that (with a Sig 220 45)
    1 your bullet doesn’t drop as much as you think it would More so 2 the biggest detriment is holding the gun still. At 7 or so yards an 1/8” of movement of front sight = about 4” of movement of bullet impact so at 40 or 50 yards it’s way off. So that distance would be where if your gun allows staging the trigger could be feasible.

Not sure why Indiana did away with the 50 yard stage as a state wide requirement but the Federal Air Marshals and several other Federal agencies changed their qualifications making them easier as well the last 15-20 years.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What gun did Eli use? I heard he braced his gun on some sort of pole....

I have been hearing consistently Glock 19 , iron sights of some sort and the Glock had a light on it as well. Also apparently the first two rounds were at 40 yards, then Eli advanced taking the next shots closer. But note the first two at 40 we're supposed to both be hits.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the day (until the later 1990’s) Indiana LE handgun qualification course was 60 rounds with a 12 shot stage at 50 yards.

From shooting that (with a Sig 220 45)
    1 your bullet doesn’t drop as much as you think it would More so 2 the biggest detriment is holding the gun still. At 7 or so yards an 1/8” of movement of front sight = about 4” of movement of bullet impact so at 40 or 50 yards it’s way off. So that distance would be where if your gun allows staging the trigger could be feasible.

Not sure why Indiana did away with the 50 yard stage as a state wide requirement but the Federal Air Marshals and several other Federal agencies changed their qualifications making them easier as well the last 15-20 years.
    My son and SIL started training with me regularly some years back at MCF&G.
    Once they got cimfy with the pistols of choice I stretched the initial drills out to 40 yards plus. They struggled from mainly grip/stance at that distance until we developed a stable platform in those 2 areas. The complaints were many until they started ringing some steel.
    We would finish the day at 7 yards so the confidence levels came up.
    It finally dawned on them that if you are good at 40 then 50 is really no stretch and 7 is a cake walk done easily enough with point/shoot combat style.
    50 is fun. And as you said (especially with good ammo) drop is not that much.
    Trigger discipline is developed as well.
    They got to be pretty good. Either of them could have made those shoots made at the mall.
    Add in the stress related factors and the degree of difficulty increases.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t know if true, but on JW Rawles survivalblog todays issue. He has the GG shooting a hellcat in 9 mil. At 15 to 20 yards also shows some guy running the drill. (and not well).

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I take neutralized in a more legalistic sense, the killer was no longer an active threat and Eli stopped shooting. If the killer was still capable of firing his weapon, Eli would have kept shooting.

Just my take, haven't received an answer to questions I sent to the Greenwood Police Chief.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I take neutralized in a more legalistic sense, the killer was no longer an active threat and Eli stopped shooting. If the killer was still capable of firing his weapon, Eli would have kept shooting.

Just my take, haven't received an answer to questions I sent to the Greenwood Police Chief.
    He said/she said. I have read that he actually went to slide lock which is why he quit shooting. Eventually we may know it all.

Top Bottom