Detonics MTX 1911 shooting review (professional review)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Some of you may have read my reviews, from the perspective of a backyard shooter shooting this newly designed 1911 pistol.

Professional gun reviewer and blog writer Bob Owens got gun #4 and did a review of the gun here => Detonics MTX-H Range Report « Bob Owens

detonics-mtx-1.jpg

Below are my observations/reviews:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Man I want one bad. Im betting the grips feel just as good as my Styer m9a1. They look very similar. Im actually hoping they make one in 9mm but I doubt they will. Not htat 45 is a problem for me its just I have a few 9mm allready and adding in another cal..... Im waiting to shoot it :)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Loving everything about it (what I'm reading).

Have you had any luck finding an acceptable holster? Any revelations on that mag release? As mentioned in the other thread, it seems to stick waaaay out there. Bob didn't mention anything about it, but an INGO'er and you mentioned it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have not even bothered to look for a holster yet.

The full size is not yet available to the public; I think that will be another 30 days away?

I know they are planning on producing other calibers but I did not inquire as to which those would be or when they would be available.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I'm not really a 1911 guy....but that is a nice looking gun.....

Are they only available through Detonics, or will we be seeing them locally soon?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I have not even bothered to look for a holster yet.

The full size is not yet available to the public; I think that will be another 30 days away?

I know they are planning on producing other calibers but I did not inquire as to which those would be or when they would be available.

Hey if you get word of a 9mm int the sompact size let me know as I will just wait for it then. Im working on saving my pennies already :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm not really a 1911 guy....but that is a nice looking gun.....

Are they only available through Detonics, or will we be seeing them locally soon?
    Historically there have been very few gun dealers that actually stock the Detonics brand. Since it was introduced in the mid-1970's its been a gun known as a brand for professionals and typically has been ordered direct from the factory. I suspect that will continue to be their pattern for sales into the future.

You can find out more at their website => Detonics Defense Technologies: Enhancing Combat Precision

Hey if you get word of a 9mm int the sompact size let me know as I will just wait for it then. Im working on saving my pennies already :D
    If I hear anything about calibers and availability I'll post it up for you. I'd have to bet that 9mm will be one of the future calibers but honestly that is just my bet.

shawnfox12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    greenfield in,
    wow i like the new look i cc a 1911 and the new look is smokin do you thank any dealer will have them at the 1500 show and who deals in them close to indy or anderson

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    wow i like the new look i cc a 1911 and the new look is smokin do you thank any dealer will have them at the 1500 show and who deals in them close to indy or anderson
    Highly unlikely that any will be at the next 1500 unless I am carrying mine and I attend the show and its also unlikely that any Indy area dealer stocks these guns at this time. Perhaps one will stock the gun in 2012 but these things are brand new to the market, they are filling direct shipment orders they get off the internet and by word of mouth sales. I've been a collector of these guns for many years and have never found any dealer in Indiana who ever stocked Detonics pistols.

What I will tell you is that the double stack grip holding 12 rounds of 45acp is the easiest grip to hang onto under recoil of any 1911 grip I've ever held. I'm looking forward to buying a full size model too.

Top Bottom