• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Who in the hell are Homeland Security to tell us about a drought!! Get yourselves busy profiling terrorists and leave us alone- you are starting to overstep your bounds!!!

I agree!
    Have you heard of check points and vehicle searches?

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Ration

Sooooo, you're more in favor of rationing? Because that's the next step when the drought conditions worsen. Would you rather be limited to using only X amount of water, or would you like to have the option of buying more if you really need it?

Which is it for you, free market, or government regulation?

You must live on a well. Riddle me this Batman. How in the world will making Water more expensive create more of it? If we have to ration, then so be it. By your logic, If you can afford it, it will always be there. And us po foke that can't swing it will do without. The problem is not that Treatment plants can't afford to treat it and put it in the lines. The problem is that the source they get it from is drying up. I realize that you think it is ok for Rich people to waste water so long as they are willing to pay for it. This senerio still lessons the available water for everyone!!! I think a ban on lawn watering is fine. Everyone is equally affected. :twocents:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You must live on a well. Riddle me this Batman. How in the world will making Water more expensive create more of it? If we have to ration, then so be it. By your logic, If you can afford it, it will always be there. And us po foke that can't swing it will do without. The problem is not that Treatment plants can't afford to treat it and put it in the lines. The problem is that the source they get it from is drying up. I realize that you think it is ok for Rich people to waste water so long as they are willing to pay for it. This senerio still lessons the available water for everyone!!! I think a ban on lawn watering is fine. Everyone is equally affected. :twocents:

I think his point is that it's a deterrent to the idiots that aren't rich, but want to look like they are so they waste all that money watering their yard. I see it every day in non wealthy parts of Marion and Johnson counties.

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Who is to say that if they ban act like watering your grass or washing the car that it will be in time. Who know when water levels will be restored. It might almost be a bit late for any of this to make a difference. I am not say to not do it, I personally think it should have been done a week or 2 ago.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Actually, I get my water from the roof. And I've studied municipal water source design and implementation. I've worked to make my place sustainable, implementing permaculture methods. Our household uses less than 1k gallons of water a month. I've helped design household systems that allow users to be very efficient with their water. In Indiana we get plenty of water, we just have a very poor method of storage and usage and reusage. This is in part because it's so cheap ;)

As far as your "po foke" argument, did you miss the point where I said making it a sliding scale where normal household usage stays inexpensive but when people use more than what is needed for ordinary household needs it gets more expensive the more you use? So if you insist on keeping a green lawn, something you "po foke" really need to do so you can spend even more money mowing it, then you pay more. If you "po foke" don't want to pay more, you don't increase your usage and pay the same amount you pay now, while enjoying the fact that the people who do feel it's worthwhile to spend their money on a green lawn help fund the infrastructure necessary to enable it to stay cheap for you "po foke."

More reservoir space, more efficient reuse of the wastewater, more short term demand storage, all of these things are very possible, but if we charged the people who used a couple of kgallons a month at the same rate just so the 5 acre suburban lawns can stay green while using 20k/gallons a month, then in you "po foke" will be paying a lot more.

BBill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    That's exactly what this is. The difference is, MOST people see that it's snowing and act accordingly. In this drought people are still watering superficial things like their lawn and flowers***. This is causing a higher risk of houses or other things burning longer than they should because fire departments are literally running out of water. If people weren't so flipping stupid we wouldn't need the .gov to come tell us these things. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

***This does not apply to gardens that people use for FOOD.
    OOOOOH-now I understand-we're stupid and we need someone to step in and tell us what to do? Next It'll be our thermostats-people need to tell you "braniacs" we'll get along just fine without your help! Stupid huh?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OOOOOH-now I understand-we're stupid and we need someone to step in and tell us what to do? Next It'll be our thermostats-people need to tell you "braniacs" we'll get along just fine without your help! Stupid huh?

Feel free to ignore them. And unbunch your underwear a bit.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Kids, the post is merely an alert to let you know.... what you already probably knew. Its dry and hot and getting serious. Take it for what its worth.

And as a matter of fact there seems to be a larger-than-youd-care-to-admit portion of folks who need to be told to stop watering your lawns. Hell, they need to be told not to park in a fire lane and don't throw cigarettes out your car windows and stop letting your 2yo play on the ac window unit 3floors from the ground. They 'beclown' themselves everyday, otherwise I wouldn't have a job.

Common sense is a friggin superpower anymore. We all should be wearing capes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Kids, the post is merely an alert to let you know.... what you already probably knew. Its dry and hot and getting serious. Take it for what its worth.

And as a matter of fact there seems to be a larger-than-youd-care-to-admit portion of folks who need to be told to stop watering your lawns. Hell, they need to be told not to park in a fire lane and don't throw cigarettes out your car windows and stop letting your 2yo play on the ac window unit 3floors from the ground. They 'beclown' themselves everyday, otherwise I wouldn't have a job.

Common sense is a friggin superpower anymore. We all should be wearing capes.

My everyday vocabulary has just increased by 1:laugh:

Top Bottom