• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drought triggers statewide Water Shortage Warning

The Department of Natural Resources and the state Department of Homeland Security have issued a Water Shortage Warning for all counties in Indiana due to drought conditions.

Under the state’s Water Shortage Plan, notification letters are being sent to owners and operators of significant water withdrawal facilities calling on them to implement voluntary measures that will result in a reduction in water use by 10 to 15 percent.

The notification follows a previously issued warning on July 2 to significant water withdrawal facilities in 32 counties in northeast and southwest Indiana.

State law defines a significant water withdrawal facility (SWWF) as one capable of withdrawing 100,000 gallons of water per day from all sources—ground water,surface water,or a combination of the two.

The objective of the Water Shortage Warning stage is to prepare a coordinated response to potential water supply problems and to initiate voluntary conservation measures in an effort to avoid or reduce shortages,relieve stressed water sources,and forestall the need for mandatory water use restrictions.

Public water supply systems are advised to immediately develop and update water shortage contingency plans for their respective systems if they don’t already have one.

Although the Water Shortage Warning is directed at SWWFs,all Hoosiers are encouraged to conserve water and energy use. Conserving energy helps conserve water. Taking voluntary actions now will help later if conditions worsen.

DNR and DHS work with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management,Indiana Department of Agriculture,Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission,and the National Weather Service to implement the Water Shortage Plan.

The state’s Water Shortage Plan was developed in 1994 and updated in 2009. Recommended water conservation actions in the plan can be found at www.in.gov/dnr/water/files/watshplan.pdf<http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/files/watshplan.pdf>

BBill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Who in the hell are Homeland Security to tell us about a drought!! Get your asses busy profiling terrorists and leave us alone- you are starting to overstep your bounds!!!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    It's interesting how the DHS is acting as an umbrella for a lot of state agencies, etc.

DHS issues statement about droughts, and water conservation
    DHS issues statement about amnesty program for illegals
    DHS issues statement about burn ban across state and fireworks ban
    DHS issues statement about outdoor stages and concert equipment
    DHS issues statement about amusement and entertainment permits
    DHS issues statement about about tornado and disaster recovery response
    DHS issues statement about high heat conditions and cautions against complacency
    DHS issues statement that weather damage needs to be reported to them
    DHS issues statements about severe weather updates
    DHS issues statement about checking on neighbors during extreme cold
    DHS issues statements about grant awards to counties and departments

Seems like IDHS takes on the roles of National Weather Service, FEMA, Indiana House and Senate, Local Fire and Police Departments, EMS services, I-OSHA, ICE, Hall monitor, water wardens, and class snitch.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Water shortage does become an issue of Homeland Security. People are literally too stupid to realize they shouldn't waste water on things such as watering lawns, washing cars 4 times a week etc.. The reason it is a Homeland Security issue is that in the case of an emergency such as a fire, responders DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WATER to put out the fire. Thank God the grass will be green when your house is burning to the ground.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Water shortage does become an issue of Homeland Security. People are literally too stupid to realize they shouldn't waste water on things such as watering lawns, washing cars 4 times a week etc.. The reason it is a Homeland Security issue is that in the case of an emergency such as a fire, responders DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH WATER to put out the fire. Thank God the grass will be green when your house is burning to the ground.

You're losing the point early.

What is the function of DHS supposed to be?

It's understandable to see the mission creep there and it is such short jumps of logic to connect events, but that's like having National Guard checking for firearms at Colts Stadium and doing security patdowns at the airport.

It could be argued as reasonable, but at the same time....

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From my limited understanding....

The purpose of DHS is to bridge the gap(s) between state and federal agencies that otherwise do not communicate. They also act as a conduit to communicate from these various agencies out to the public. Rather than 100 different folks issuing statements, and often conflicting statements, there is one source.

I don't see a problem with a coordinated effort to makes sure the "word gets out" when something is up. The DNR is making the Water Shortage Warning, and then DHS is taking that info to other State and Federal agencies that need to know about it.

Now, when DHS starts actually making the DECISIONS in PLACE of the State, then I have an issue. I don't know of an instance of that personally, though.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When the feds created Homeland Security, they subsumed the emergency planning and response agency at the federal level (which sort of made sense, if you agree with the logic of creating a "homeland security" department in the first place).

All states have a state agency which is responsible for emergency planning and response; here in Indiana it used to be the State Emergency Management Agency. Somewhere along the line, the States decided it would be a good idea to create their own mirrors of the feds and, at least in Indiana, they subsumed SEMA into State Homeland Security. Larger cities, such as Indianapolis/Marion County have chosen to do the same for some reason. This makes it difficult to determine what decisions and pronouncements are being made at what level of government.

In this case, it's simply the Indiana governmental unit charged with emergency planning and response keeping the public informed and assuring them that: "yes, we know there is a drought going on; we have a plan to deal with it." This is arguably a legitimate function of any government.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    From my limited understanding....

The purpose of DHS is to bridge the gap(s) between state and federal agencies that otherwise do not communicate. They also act as a conduit to communicate from these various agencies out to the public. Rather than 100 different folks issuing statements, and often conflicting statements, there is one source.

I don't see a problem with a coordinated effort to makes sure the "word gets out" when something is up. The DNR is making the Water Shortage Warning, and then DHS is taking that info to other State and Federal agencies that need to know about it.

Now, when DHS starts actually making the DECISIONS in PLACE of the State, then I have an issue. I don't know of an instance of that personally, though.

This. And this was started at the Federal level as a response to 9/11, something that was heartily supported at the time by many folks who bash it now.

Be careful what you ask for.

IDHS is just another name for the same people doing roughly the same jobs they were before. In some ways it's an improvement and in some ways it's a step back. Situation normal.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You're losing the point early.

What is the function of DHS supposed to be?

It's understandable to see the mission creep there and it is such short jumps of logic to connect events, but that's like having National Guard checking for firearms at Colts Stadium and doing security patdowns at the airport.

It could be argued as reasonable, but at the same time....
    So.... What is your opinion exactly? I know I have a limited vocabulary and lack in the area of reading comprehension, but I feel like you're making conflicting statements here.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This. And this was started at the Federal level as a response to 9/11, something that was heartily supported at the time by many folks who bash it now.

Be careful what you ask for.

IDHS is just another name for the same people doing roughly the same jobs they were before. In some ways it's an improvement and in some ways it's a step back. Situation normal.

The only real improvement that I can see is that the former informal intelligence sharing among state and local law enforcement has been formalized into "fusion centers". That SEMA is represented allows for better information for planning purposes.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    So.... What is your opinion exactly? I know I have a limited vocabulary and lack in the area of reading comprehension, but I feel like you're making conflicting statements here.

Don't worry about it, I'm a bit conflicted about it myself. (I was one of those who though it was a good idea back when, but have since found a great deal that i disagree with.)

eldirector's and blackhawk's posts pretty much explain what I think about it.

On one hand, they perform a public service, but on the other hand, this is a function that state government should have been doing in the first place. (And pretty much was, with the SEMA guys). In this regard, they have the same agency and slapped a new name on it and called it NEW! And IMPROVED!

My opinion, they should be used as needed for communication between state agencies and departments, but should otherwise be a silent mime that sits in the corner and shuts up. I'd rather hear about drought warnings etc from the Gov or one of his reps to his office than hear about it from a bureacrat. (Arguably the same, I know, a bit conflicted). In one sense, it is seeing a public response from our elected gov't.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I'll admit my limited understanding about the workings of the state and federal agencies here. I'm leary of the federal-anything telling the states what they should do on state level issues...if that's what they're doing. According to the OP, if I'm understanding it correctly, it's the state level agency coordinating this information and necessary planning.

So maybe it's like when it snows outside and somebody feels obliged to come on TV and tell us morons to slow down and use caution :n00b:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'll admit my limited understanding about the workings of the state and federal agencies here. I'm leary of the federal-anything telling the states what they should do on state level issues...if that's what they're doing. According to the OP, if I'm understanding it correctly, it's the state level agency coordinating this information and necessary planning.

So maybe it's like when it snows outside and somebody feels obliged to come on TV and tell us morons to slow down and use caution :n00b:

Indiana has it's own DHS. Not the same entity as the Federal DHS.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin

That's exactly what this is. The difference is, MOST people see that it's snowing and act accordingly. In this drought people are still watering superficial things like their lawn and flowers***. This is causing a higher risk of houses or other things burning longer than they should because fire departments are literally running out of water. If people weren't so flipping stupid we wouldn't need the .gov to come tell us these things. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

***This does not apply to gardens that people use for FOOD.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    That's exactly what this is. The difference is, MOST people see that it's snowing and act accordingly. In this drought people are still watering superficial things like their lawn and flowers***. This is causing a higher risk of houses or other things burning longer than they should because fire departments are literally running out of water. If people weren't so flipping stupid we wouldn't need the .gov to come tell us these things. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

And my rant on this subject is one of usage.

If you want people to conserve a resource, make it cost more. It's absolutely stupid that the water usage rate is flat and only a few dollars per thousand gallons. Make it a sliding rate based on usage makes far more sense, so those idiots out there who insist on wasting it can pay for the necessary infrastructure to ensure it can be supplied at those rates.

MOST households can get by with 2-3k gallons a month. Make the water cost there the normal rate for the first 2-3k, then increase the rate proportionally. The next k costs double, and so on. This lessens the necessity for having the government step in and tell people they can't do something, and it allows the supplying companies the ability to invest in the infrastructure that will allow them to supply whatever rate is necessary to meet demand.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I do not think so

And my rant on this subject is one of usage.

If you want people to conserve a resource, make it cost more. It's absolutely stupid that the water usage rate is flat and only a few dollars per thousand gallons. Make it a sliding rate based on usage makes far more sense, so those idiots out there who insist on wasting it can pay for the necessary infrastructure to ensure it can be supplied at those rates.

MOST households can get by with 2-3k gallons a month. Make the water cost there the normal rate for the first 2-3k, then increase the rate proportionally. The next k costs double, and so on. This lessens the necessity for having the government step in and tell people they can't do something, and it allows the supplying companies the ability to invest in the infrastructure that will allow them to supply whatever rate is necessary to meet demand.

Sure so send me some money. I never water my lawn and I think this is a bad Idea. My water bill is $80/ month. Includes sewer and trash. After the flooding 2 years ago, We started paying a storm water treatment fee. 8.80/mo Still paying it after all this lack of rain.

Some would argue that it shouldn't affect me as I do not water. There are 7 people in my house I bet it would affect me. I object to other people spending my money. Yes there is a problem but making is cost more is not the answer.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I tell you what, you convince the Oil companies to drop the price of gas to, say less than $2.00 per gallon and I would be happy to pay more fore water! There isn't MORE available in my budget otherwise!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sure so send me some money. I never water my lawn and I think this is a bad Idea. My water bill is $80/ month. Includes sewer and trash. After the flooding 2 years ago, We started paying a storm water treatment fee. 8.80/mo Still paying it after all this lack of rain.

Some would argue that it shouldn't affect me as I do not water. There are 7 people in my house I bet it would affect me. I object to other people spending my money. Yes there is a problem but making is cost more is not the answer.

Sooooo, you're more in favor of rationing? Because that's the next step when the drought conditions worsen. Would you rather be limited to using only X amount of water, or would you like to have the option of buying more if you really need it?

Which is it for you, free market, or government regulation?

Top Bottom