• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought about going after small game to start off with but with squirrel i have never had squirrel that wasnt like eating my belt. How do you get it tender or is it even possible. I do like rabbit though :)

Crock pot for a few hours(with salt and water).Pull all the bones out.Add your favorite barbeque sauce,cook for another hour..Pulled squirrel...mmmm.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    Heck I'll help u get into hunting if I can hunt land. I love to hunt just don't have the ground. I am more than willing to help

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    You're non the right track. You're getting some good advice! If you can get access to land to hunt then you're ahead of most. There is no book or internet forum that can substitute hands on experience. If someone(such as yotehunter) will help you get started then you'll be well on your way to spending a bunch of money on a hobby that is very addicting :D. Once you get over "what to do with the game after I kill it" it gets a lot more enjoyable.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Thank you everyone for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully sometime this fall ill be able to post a pic of my first deer on here.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Yea, I am planning on buying a bow here soon. I was always told bow season is much better than shotgun. I can see wilbur being packed, it was one of the places i was thinking. Another is like you said hoosier nat. I do ALOT of backpacking and fishing down there.

I bought a nice compound bow a few years ago...and then realized I'm too busy to actually practice with it. So I took a crossbow out for archery season...shhh, don't tell the die hard bow hunters. Wilber isn't too bad if you know where to set up. We went out there and usually we didn't see anyone else other then at the station to get our card or when we were parking the truck. We saw other people's stands though. It's less crowded during the week and during archery season. Just keep in mind that they will only allow you to take a doe during archery or muzzleloader IIRC. No firearm. Neither one of us got a deer there but we did see deer and plenty of sign.

Every September, the there's an "outdoor Indiana" thing at Fort Ben Harrison on the NE side of Indy. The folks from Purdue do a "field to table" demonstration, where they go through, live, right in front of you, processing a deer from skinning to cooking and eating it. They can't do the gutting because it's already done, but they explain it very well.

Mike

I took pictures :popcorn: I was THAT person in the front row lol..they also took a backstrap from the volunteer doe and grilled it for us. There were some other venison dishes served so it was awesome . There's also a really good DVD I picked up for about $5: Bill Hesselgrave's Care and Processing of Venison. I also can recommend this : Gut It - Cut It - Cook It Book by Eric Fromm and Al Cambronne | Bass Pro Shops

Top Bottom