• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    So the last couple of years I have been wanting to get into hunting. I have never been hunting and growing up my father wasn't a hunter, so never really had the chance to go and learn. Now that I am older, like most people here I am wanting to get more self reliable and be able to feed my family and move more to living off the land. My question is would anyone in my INGO family be willing to teach me the ropes? I would be willing to work something out, like giving you half of the harvest or if you need help around your house or land I am willing to help out/work for the knowledge. I grew up on a farm and family owns a construction company so I am very handy.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It's nice to have a mentor, but there is also alot of info out there in books and on the interweb. I was fortunate enough to be able to hunt with my father, but there is much he didn't pass on, which I was able to learn myself. If you are local to Indy, I would be happy to give you a couple books on deer hunting. Just knowing the basics and spending time in the woods is all it takes. The deer will take care of the rest of your education. I learn something from them every year.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    I have been reading books and articles on the interwebs, and I spend alot of time in the woods backpacking and what not. I think im fairly good at locating tracks and following them. I know alot of people wont share there "secrets tricks" they learned over the years but would like to tag along with someone a few times to get an idea on how to apply it all and put it together. Im not too far from indy live in pendleton.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    The biggest challenge around here is finding a place to hunt . Call it " too many lawyers " or whatever , hunting spots and land are all taken and fearlessly guarded by your freinds and fellow hunters alike .

A few years of trying to deer hunt will dramatically lower your opinion of the human race and the world we live in today .

Public hunting land around here is awesome but a little crowded . It is quite a drive ( for me ) and not very convenient .

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    So the last couple of years I have been wanting to get into hunting. I have never been hunting and growing up my father wasn't a hunter, so never really had the chance to go and learn. Now that I am older, like most people here I am wanting to get more self reliable and be able to feed my family and move more to living off the land. My question is would anyone in my INGO family be willing to teach me the ropes? I would be willing to work something out, like giving you half of the harvest or if you need help around your house or land I am willing to help out/work for the knowledge. I grew up on a farm and family owns a construction company so I am very handy.

Hey OrangeITguy,
    Sometimes the most difficult part about hunting is finding land to hunt on. I used to hunt on public land when I was younger, but too often, I would get into a great location before the sun came up. Once it got light enough that I could see, I realized that I was surrounded by other hunters. Its not a good feeling being surrounded by a bunch of hunters orange vests! So, do you have some private land or know of someone that would let you hunt on their land? If so, that may be a good bargaining tool. Let someone more experienced hunt with you on private land that you have arranged to use.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    My plan is to start on public land, till like you said people start to **** me off, then I will start knocking on doors. There are a few public places within 30-60min of me.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Actually I do know of some land I could hunt on. Real good family friends. If needed i would contact them and we could go out there. I didnt really think of that, im sure most you guys dont want to share/show me where your special spot is, just like I am with my honey holes for catfish and crappie.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I say talk to your family friends. If you get permission to hunt there, assuming you are not too far from me, I would be willing to go out for a few days and teach you what I know.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    My plan is to start on public land, till like you said people start to **** me off, then I will start knocking on doors. There are a few public places within 30-60 min of me.
    And they are especially jam packed because they are close by. I live not too far from you and IMO, the closest place worth hunting around here is hoosier national forest Outside of Seymour, Columbus area. You will have plenty of people there too, but nothing like 75 people at Wilbur wright all jammed into a few hundred acres.

FWIW, If the other people are going to get under your skin, start by bow hunting. There are far less people in the woods then. Once November hits and the rut starts, all bets are off though. That's when people come out of the woodwork like bugs at ANY state land.

Not to mention, you will learn far more in a 3 month season instead of 2 weeks (firearm season).

Good luck and have fun.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Yea, I am planning on buying a bow here soon. I was always told bow season is much better than shotgun. I can see wilbur being packed, it was one of the places i was thinking. Another is like you said hoosier nat. I do ALOT of backpacking and fishing down there.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Where are you located?

If you are near, I can walk the property with you help pick out some spots and then be available when you get something to walk you through processing.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Pendleton. That is what im mainly needing help with. I know how to clean fish but never done anything else. I assume it might be almost the same but bigger.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Pendleton. That is what im mainly needing help with. I know how to clean fish but never done anything else. I assume it might be almost the same but bigger.

Every September, the there's an "outdoor Indiana" thing at Fort Ben Harrison on the NE side of Indy. The folks from Purdue do a "field to table" demonstration, where they go through, live, right in front of you, processing a deer from skinning to cooking and eating it. They can't do the gutting because it's already done, but they explain it very well.

Mike

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Every September, the there's an "outdoor Indiana" thing at Fort Ben Harrison on the NE side of Indy. The folks from Purdue do a "field to table" demonstration, where they go through, live, right in front of you, processing a deer from skinning to cooking and eating it. They can't do the gutting because it's already done, but they explain it very well.

Mike

Did not know that. Thank you for that info. I will be checking that out.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If you can get permission on the family friends land go out there now while the snow is on and you will be able to see where the deer are moving to and from and get a good Idea of where to set up... Then play the wind, you will need at least 2 set ups one for any wind NNW NNE and one for SSW SSE if you start out hunting edges you will prob. see more deer then if you go into the heart of the woods because they will know your there before you ever get to you stand.. If you can get permission on the friends property I would be willing to come and show you some things ... Just PM if you want. Shed hunting is a good time to scout your land, you will see old scraps bedding areas and so on... Stay away from Wilber wright it sucks...

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    I talked to my dad and he thinks they might let me. Its an odd story. The land was owned by my aunt. She passed this last year of cancer. My cousions are in FL and they did not want the property. It came down to me and my step cousion. The step cousion wanted it (She is VERY ODD and kinda neo hippie) but she might let me, but if not the older couple that has another 20 or so acers next to the step cousin they like me. He is an nam vet and I always go over and talk to him and listen to his war stories so he might give me permission the only thing is his grandsons also hunt there so there is a slight chance he could say no. But yote, if i can get permission and if you dont mind i would like to take you up on your offer. If you want to work something out let me know.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    If you talk to your hippie cousin she might let you hunt for some meat ? I sent you a PM ... If the guy next door lets his grandsons hunt more then likely they will not want you in there, 20 ac. is not much land for 2 people let alone 3... But if he will let you in your a lucky fellow... You would be better off with you hippie cousin but I would ask the guy next door anyway the worst he can say is no ... Then you would have a place to yourself..

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if you do get access to land, go hunt small game first.. it lets you get to know the woods & yourself.. can you deal with the sitting still, the cold, making the shot..
    It will also give you more time to learn the deer's patterns.. If you do not own the land you have to buy a tag for each deer.. Squirrels you can take several a day..

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    if you do get access to land, go hunt small game first.. it lets you get to know the woods & yourself.. can you deal with the sitting still, the cold, making the shot..
    It will also give you more time to learn the deer's patterns.. If you do not own the land you have to buy a tag for each deer.. Squirrels you can take several a day..

I thought about going after small game to start off with but with squirrel i have never had squirrel that wasnt like eating my belt. How do you get it tender or is it even possible. I do like rabbit though :)

Top Bottom