• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have a moss 500 also. I had a stock shell holder, just a cheap one. When I got in the stand I filled the tube. Instead of racking the shotgun with force necessary to load from the tube mag, I manually inserted the last one from the stock shell holder and quietly closed the action. I halfway did this by accident because I'd forgotten to load the tub before getting out of my truck, but it was much quieter than pumping the gun to load it.

Yup. Only a little backwards.

1) With the gun empty, slowly and quietly ease the slide to the rear stop.
    2) Tip the barrel upward a little, take one shell, and use a finger to gently slide it into the chamber. (stops the “thunk” sound)
    3) Close the action slowly, and gently “clip” it shut on the shell. (but make sure to attempt to retract...need to ensure it’s in battery)
    4) Shut up, stop moving, and look around for a minute.
    5) Slowly load the tube.

Option 2, for someone with good experience with a given gun

1) With the gun’s tube loaded, ease the slide back ALMOST to the stop, but do not allow the magazine to shuck a shell.
    2) Repeat Steps 2-4 above.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Years ago a buddy let me try his Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

SO LONG, SLUG GUN!

Indiana massa finally "approved" rifles on private land.

Welcome back 94 Winchester in 30-30!

I have ZERO intention of going back to slug guns for deer hunting....God knows I do not miss it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I don’t disagree BigRed, but that has nothing to do with what this gentleman asked.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Hunting in Illinois gun season, Ruger Blackhawk or Super Redhawk, nice and quiet till you pull the trigger. Jim.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Even though it's slightly off topic, I also loved the day when I could hunt with a 44mag instead of my old slug gun. At the time I was using Federal sabot slugs with barnes bullets for around $3 a shot and I could reload 44mags with a 240gr Hornady XTP for just over $0.20 a round. It was a no brainer.

To be really quite, a lever or bolt gun can certainly do that job well.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If there are deer around, they will hear you walking to your stand. They will hear you climbing into your stand. They will hear you chamber a round so my best advice is, get there early, get ready, and sit quietly.

The deer you are going to shoot is coming from somewhere else and doesn't know you are there.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Confirmed - I was over thinking it.

I was fortunate enough to take a doe Saturday morning. This is my first deer, and it was awesome.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Confirmed - I was over thinking it.

I was fortunate enough to take a doe Saturday morning. This is my first deer, and it was awesome.

Congrats! We all tend to over think things on the internet, but in life there aren't too many critters that are going to stand up to any 12ga slug. Well done.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    If walking into stand before legal shooting time, gun stays unloaded. Walking out after legal shooting time, same thing. I NEVER climb into our out of stand with loaded weapon. Personally dont climb with gun. I attach unloaded to rope and pull up. Then load. Reverse for getting down. Safety first. '

Top Bottom