• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hi INGO

I am a new deer hunter, in Illinois (shotgun).

This may be a dumb question, but something I was thinking about. How do you quietly load your shotgun, once you are up in your stand?

I hunt with a Mossberg 500, so naturally it is noisy to close the slide and load the first slug. Learning how sensitive a deer’s hearing is, I’m curious. Again, maybe I’m just a newbie on this, but would appreciate some guidance from the more experienced crowd.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Rule #3 - Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.

Find your spot first, then load your firearm & chamber a round.
    If you need to move, unload the round from the chamber.

Most shotguns are NOT drop-safe, so you always run the risk of the hammer falling on a chambered round.

The Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't know that there is a great way to make it quieter. Move as slowly as you can while still getting it closed up right. Personally I don't chamber a round until I'm in my stand.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I hunt with an AR in .458 SOCOM. It's a RRA upper with one of their notoriously tight chambers. I you don't pull the charging handle back all the way and let it slam shut, even using the forward assist is no guarantee of the the thing not going "click".

I usually put the gun on my lap, cover it up with my coat, pull the charging handle, and let it SLAM shut.

The coat muffles it, but it's still loud AF.:rolleyes:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not trying to be a smart alec by saying this, but the best way to chamber a round is "very slowly". Move slow and softly when racking the slide and if you're that worried about it take a small hand towel with you and throw it over the shotgun action while you do this. Just don't rack the thing like you're in a hollywood gunfight scene and you'll be fine.

I don't know where you hunt whether it's private land or public, or what the specific laws are there, but if it's an option depending on the time of day you're going out I'd be moving with a round chambered in case you kick up a deer. Some people are out there when the stars are out so they have been still and quiet long before legal hunting hours. Some people wait till there's enough light out to see well before going to their stand. It all depends on private/public and the laws of the land you're hunting.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Once you get into the stand rack the chamber loudly!

One of two things.

1) Buck will think it is two bucks fighting and come in running. (being a Mossburg 500)!

2) The deer will know you mean business and will just walk in instead of living in a state of constant fear.

Insert purple where you feel fit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many years back, I was hoisting my loaded model 500 up to the stand. Knot in the paracord let loose, just as I was about to grab the barrel. I watched the shotgun hit the ground, as I was looking down the barrel.

It didn't go off, but that really freaked me out. I quit worrying about the chambering noise after that. :n00b:

Get to the stand earlier. Deer hear a lot of noises in the woods.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Muzzleloader.

Problem solved.

I always load it before heading to the stand, then chamber it once I’m in the stand. I’m also in the stand around 5 am, with plenty of time until daylight.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Muzzleloader.

Problem solved.

I always load it before heading to the stand, then chamber it once I’m in the stand. I’m also in the stand around 5 am, with plenty of time until daylight.

There was an infamous conservation officer up here in the north who'd write you a ticket if your smoke pole had powder and bullet shoved down the barrel, even if you didn't have a cap or primer in it.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    There was an infamous conservation officer up here in the north who'd write you a ticket if your smoke pole had powder and bullet shoved down the barrel, even if you didn't have a cap or primer in it.

that is a court fight over what “loaded” means.

I chamber once in the stand. If ground sitting I chamber after I park the atv and before I walk back.

same setup w the crossbow, except I don’t put the bolt In until settled.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Rule #3 - Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.

Find your spot first, then load your firearm & chamber a round.
    If you need to move, unload the round from the chamber.

Most shotguns are NOT drop-safe, so you always run the risk of the hammer falling on a chambered round.

Exactly

I'm ready to use when I get out of the truck, so I walk in with one in the chamber.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I don't see anywhere in the rule book (in) that you can't have a round in the chamber during non shooting hours. I know it used to say that, but I don't see it anymore. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a moss 500 also. I had a stock shell holder, just a cheap one. When I got in the stand I filled the tube. Instead of racking the shotgun with force necessary to load from the tube mag, I manually inserted the last one from the stock shell holder and quietly closed the action. I halfway did this by accident because I'd forgotten to load the tub before getting out of my truck, but it was much quieter than pumping the gun to load it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I don't see anywhere in the rule book (in) that you can't have a round in the chamber during non shooting hours. I know it used to say that, but I don't see it anymore. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know it used to, and I know a buddy's dad got a ticket for having a loaded gun after shooting hrs

Top Bottom