• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I haven't even been out, but I get several deer a year and I always try to keep the heart and liver. I even have my buddies save them for me, because they don't like the idea of eating them themselves. How do some of you harvest, transport from field to home, prepare for freezing, and/or clean up, season, and cook the deer liver and heart? I think guys are really missing out if they leave these organs in the field.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    If you have a friend or relative that works in a hospital, have em snag one of these.

But put duct tape over the key words so you don't freak your wife out when you bring home the internal bacon.
    cooler.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always kept some zip loc bags. Put liver and heart in it during field dressing. When I got home, rinse them out good and then freezer wrap them. As far as eating, the liver goes in liver and onions. The heart, the wife had some recipe where she stuffed it and rolled it up.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    I always use zip lock bags to transport the heart back home also. Haven't tried the liver yet but I'm sure I should. When cooking, or freezing the heart make sure to rinse it out good to remove all the blood down inside. Last time I cooked one I found a recipe online but I can't remember the exact website. It had worcestershire sauce, onions and the heart was cut up into small 1 inch pieces and coated in flour. It was absolutely delicious. I wish I would have written it down.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    My cousin has a friend thats part indian and when my cousin kills a deer puts the heart and liver in zip loc bags, if its a buck the guy also wants the testes. I've never tried any of that and dont plan on it

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Every year in deer camp we would get a nice wood fire going before going out hunting on opening morning. As soon as someone nailed a deer we would bring it back to camp and while we were hanging the deer and finishing the field dressing, someone would stir up the coals and put the grill over the fire. The heart and liver would be sliced and grilled over the coals, a cast iron skillet full of bacon fat and potatoes was fried up and a pot of cowboy coffee was boiled up. After everyone had some breakfast we'd head back out to hunt for the rest of the day.

We did the same thing every time someone took a deer. We never had any heart or liver to bring back from deer camp.

Top Bottom