• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    My family is going to Charleston, SC here in a few weeks and we are thinking about going off shore fishing. The charter we are looking at offers a trip that last about 9 hours and goes 30-50 miles off shore on a 27' center console boat. Some of the family is worried about sea sickness. Is it as common as we all think or is it something we really shouldn't worry about with or without some Dramanine? We all have been out on speed boats on lakes in Indiana and Michigan but never out on the ocean. The charter said they will not go out if the swells are over 5'.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Get some dramamine patches and forget about it. There's a huge difference between the ocean and lakes in Indiana. Seasickness can hit anyone at anytime out there. I'm not prone to it, but I've had a few times when even my stomach did the flip flops out there.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Take the patches. 5 foot swells will be very noticeable in a boat that size.

I went on a 27 footer in Cabo and I was yakking over the side while reeling in marlin.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Ginger candy is a good backup if you don't take dramamine and you can eat it if you start feeling queezy. I believe you need to take dramamine much sooner like before you even get on the boat.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Ginger candy is a good backup if you don't take dramamine and you can eat it if you start feeling queezy. I believe you need to take dramamine much sooner like before you even get on the boat.

well before you get on the boat. An hour before you leave the dock as I remember.
    I've been lucky. But used to have a sailing partner who couldn't make it off the dock w/o horking.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    That's a pretty small boat to be that far off shore in 5 foot waves for newbies on the water. Plenty safe but you will feel the waves! I would suggest looking for a product called Bonine. Active ingredient is meclizine HCL. You might find it as Anti-vert. It is non-drowsy and works pretty well. Take at least 1 hour before sailing. If you get the queasy feeling, try to focus on the horizon and not inside the boat.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The last time I was out on a boat that size I spent 3 hours below deck trying not to barf, punctuated by multiple trips top side to feed the fish. This was after taking Dramamine.

I get sea sick pretty easily, so I wouldn't charter a boat that small again. If anyone in your group is prone to motion sickness probably won't have much fun out on the Atlantic.

These days we go out for half day trips on the bigger 80 - 100 foot group charter boats and I have no issues. I personally like this much better since for $50 they provide the rod and reel, bait and deck hands to gaff the fish and clean and fillet them on the way in.

We usually go out for blues off the Jersey Shore. They may only weigh 10-15 pounds, but they hit hard and put up a pretty good fight. I've also seen a couple guys pull in yellow fin tuna on some of these trips.

I'm heading out with my Dad and BIL next week actually. I would certainly recommend one of these bigger boats if anyone in your group is a novice, or has any issues with motion sickness.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you take the pills, take them the night before, when you go to bed. They can make you sleepy.
    I used the pills once on a cruise and they worked great. Another time I used the patches when I went marlin fishing down in Cabo.
    With the patches, you have to be carefull not to touch the medicine side of the patch and then touch your eyes. So be carefull if you wear contacts.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Of course the other option is to buy a pouch of MailPouch chewing tobacco and put a big chaw in just as you leave the dock. By the time you clear the breakwater, you should be cleaned out and good to go!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    In Charleston the prevailing winds are from the west so the seas are generally not too choppy. The boat isn't big and you will feel more of the waves but my guess is it is a fine size for that type of fishing in that area.

If your family can handle Lake MI they can handle the Atlantic off Charleston. But if any are prone to seasickness follow the previous advice. Also drink lots of beer. That helps.

I chartered a boat out of Punta Cana a couple years ago. The winds there are mostly from the east so it is almost always choppy. Had a boat full of novices who all said that they don't get seasick. We were out for 45 minutes when the first puker went off. 55 minutes to puker two. 1:15min until we were headed back to shore....

Done Hawaii, Mexico multiple times, FL, Lake MI, Lake Superior and Lake Erie. The worst was Erie, but we slayed the walleyes.

KS588

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I agree with those vouching for Bonine. My Uncle lived on the gulf side of FL. He lived right on intracoastal. I went out with him many times and most times I was fine. Then on one trip we went out far enough for the shore to disappear. Sea Sickness set in and I was providing chum for the fish!! It was horrible. From that point I would take Bonine before and during the trip. This being a vacation, I would highly recommend assuming that you will get sick and taking Bonine or the similar so as to not ruin any vacation fun.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    My family is going to Charleston, SC here in a few weeks and we are thinking about going off shore fishing. The charter we are looking at offers a trip that last about 9 hours and goes 30-50 miles off shore on a 27' center console boat. Some of the family is worried about sea sickness. Is it as common as we all think or is it something we really shouldn't worry about with or without some Dramanine? We all have been out on speed boats on lakes in Indiana and Michigan but never out on the ocean. The charter said they will not go out if the swells are over 5'.

30~50 miles out on a 27 footer in 9 hours? These guys sound hardcore! If you haven't been on the Great Lakes, your first trip of six hours of 5-footers in a 27 foot boat is going to weigh on you. Even if you're not super queasy, it's not just the motion, it's the engine fumes, sun, _and_ motion. A little dramamine is cheap insurance for a good fishing trip. You want to slay them, not the other way around.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I would not take deep sea fishing newbies that far out on a boat that small and center console to boot. Creature comforts will be non existent. Creature discomforts will be rampant. I suggest you very seriously either cancel or (As Roy Scheider put it) find a bigger boat. A cabin cruiser with shade, cool air, a bathroom and a bed. I'm not even kidding. You are setting these people up for the most miserable 9 hours of their lives.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    We decided to do the inshore fishing. I bought some Bovine. We might try and do deep sea on the next trip.

Lol. You meant Bonine, but that's still an amusing typo. Also a good decision. You might also look for party boats there. They will be big, air conditioned and have amenities and the price much less then chartering.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I've never fished east coast but did plenty back west, mainly San Diego long range fleet fishing the Mexican waters.

Don't drink coffee, eat light the night ahead and NO BANANAS on the boat.

Since you are talking about charter, try to ask the skipper take you guys for some local fishing. Just in case someone gets real sick, you guys can come back quickly. Bottom fishing doesn't require much skills, you spend more time fishing, less time going fishing, at the same time, saves fuel. Fishing boats don't go fast. a typical twin outboard boat can double the fuel consumption going from 10/11 knts to 15/16 knts.

Everybody gets motion sickness, some very little some more severe, even the deckhands and captains. I was ok in 20-foot seas one day, sick in the 3-foot baby swells the next. you never know.

Bring plenty of non fragrance type sunscreen, easy on the alcohol. focus your eye sight on the far out, don't look down.

Have a good time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Of course the other option is to buy a pouch of MailPouch chewing tobacco and put a big chaw in just as you leave the dock. By the time you clear the breakwater, you should be cleaned out and good to go!

Don't forget the greasy pork chops.
    And carry clear garbage bags so you can share your misery when others see what's inside.

krd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    NO NO NO!!!!!! Redman or Beechnut.

Top Bottom