• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I am in nurse practitioner school and had to go to class in Indy. Guns aren’t allowed inside the building so I left it in my vehicle. I know that people may say that concealed is concealed and nobody needs to know. I have that attitude 99% of the time, but because I am so close to getting my Master’s degree and don’t want to fumble on the one yard line I leave it in the glove box for class. I carry a Glock 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 5 o’clock. I didn’t take the holster off, because there isn’t a rule against wearing an empty holster. During class the teacher was demonstrating advanced physical assessment skills and used me as the model. I was glad that I left the gun in the vehicle, but I was concerned that the other students would see the holster. I had my shirt on, but was concerned that some of the positions would make it obvious. I slipped out of the room for a moment during a discussion and stuck it in my book bag. When I returned I didn’t have to be concerned about it anymore. She probably would have put her hand on it a few times and the students would have seen it when she did a few demonstrations. I know there is no law against carrying an empty holster, but I don’t like to advertise that I carry.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I understand where you are coming from. GL on finishing school!

I know what you mean about fellow students in college classes. I was defending the 2A in a class the other day and you would have thought I was a murderer with the looks and comments I got.

I think MOST (not all) college students today were brought up to fear guns SO much that even the thought of a gun frightens them.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    When your that close to a degree, I agree. Its not worth it. I am in the same boat as you. I am one semester away from my bachelors. To much money and work invested in it than to carry one day and have everything go down the drain. Good choice :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I am in nurse practitioner school and had to go to class in Indy. Guns aren’t allowed inside the building so I left it in my vehicle. I know that people may say that concealed is concealed and nobody needs to know. I have that attitude 99% of the time, but because I am so close to getting my Master’s degree and don’t want to fumble on the one yard line I leave it in the glove box for class. I carry a Glock 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 5 o’clock. I didn’t take the holster off, because there isn’t a rule against wearing an empty holster. During class the teacher was demonstrating advanced physical assessment skills and used me as the model. I was glad that I left the gun in the vehicle, but I was concerned that the other students would see the holster. I had my shirt on, but was concerned that some of the positions would make it obvious. I slipped out of the room for a moment during a discussion and stuck it in my book bag. When I returned I didn’t have to be concerned about it anymore. She probably would have put her hand on it a few times and the students would have seen it when she did a few demonstrations. I know there is no law against carrying an empty holster, but I don’t like to advertise that I carry.

You made the decision that worked/works for you. If you decide at another time that you have to be alive to graduate OR to be kicked out of school, you might try one of the deep concealment holsters like Thunderwear or the like.

I don't agree with your decision, but it wasn't my decision to make. I respect your right to make it however works best for you.

Blessings,
    Bill

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Fitting that I post behind bill as I have said in another thread that I am enrolled in a Paramedic Science program and because of comfort reasons and as well as some of the things we do, I do not carry in class. I think I may have to start though because we get ZERO signal in the building and I am beginning to feel uneasy.

The worst is getting used to the idea that I will be on an ambulance in situations where I would be more comfortable carrying. Just have to remember that my safety comes first and maintain situational awareness..........That and I can finally justify buying body armor :rockwoot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't carry to class because our campus is a gun-free zone, so it's not necessary.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I don't carry to class because our campus is a [STRIKE]gun[/STRIKE] Self Defense-free zone, so it's not necessary.

Fixed that for you bro.

Also, I'm half tempted to print out a bunch of these and start putting them on the public poster areas around a few of the central Indiana campuses.

GFzone.jpg

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I go to school in Gary, at night, with my fiance'. We both carry. I know I can get expelled, but I am not taking a chance. I don't wear it, but I keep it in my messenger bag.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Good move.

My self, if I take the gun off I take the holster off. An empty holster just seems useless and silly.

I wouldn't want all the students in a random college class to know there is probably a $500 gun in the glove box or under the seat of my locked but unattended vehicle while I am in class most nights.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Good move.

My self, if I take the gun off I take the holster off. An empty holster just seems useless and silly.

I wouldn't want all the students in a random college class to know there is probably a $500 gun in the glove box or under the seat of my locked but unattended vehicle while I am in class most nights.

That and having a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console with the trigger exposed, bouncing around with all the other trash in there is irresponsible. I take the holster off without removing the gun and put them both in a safe spot.

As far as letting people know you may be concealing, I leave the whole rig at home, and go as far as removing ammo, brass, boxes or any other evidence that I even own a gun at home when I go to campus.

Getting caught carrying on campus may be bad for you education but it's even worse for the public opinion of the second amendment, especially in light of the fact that most of the people who would know about it are our greatest adversaries.

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    That and having a loaded pistol in the glove box or center console with the trigger exposed, bouncing around with all the other trash in there is irresponsible. I take the holster off without removing the gun and put them both in a safe spot.

JR didn't say anything which would warrant this argument.

As far as letting people know you may be concealing, I leave the whole rig at home, and go as far as removing ammo, brass, boxes or any other evidence that I even own a gun at home when I go to campus.

Um...good for you?

Getting caught carrying on campus may be bad for you education but it's even worse for the public opinion of the second amendment, especially in light of the fact that most of the people who would know about it are our greatest adversaries.

Concealed means concealed.

:dunno:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't think it's a bad thing to refresh your hand to hand/stick/blade skills.:):

Ditto on that. I always have mace on my key chain, and a pocket knife. Need to train more on the knife and hand skills though.

I believe in giving yourself every tool and skill available to keep yourself alive.

:twocents:

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

OP said he had an empty holster, implying their is an unholstered, loaded pistol somewhere. Jack mentioned removing the holster, which is why I included his quote. The second and third portions are in regard to the post immediately before Jack's by PatriotPride. And yes, concealed is concealed, but there is always the possibility of discovery, no matter what the circumstances. Thanks.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have a hard time on picking a side on carrying at a college. If something was to go down and the cops bust in with you stoping someone from killing others and you get killed because it is a "gun free campus" that would suck.

It would be an easy choice to give up my life to protect family but I don't know about random classmates.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    My glock doesn't bounce around in the glovebox. I take it out of the IWB supertuck holster when I arrive then reholster before I drive off. I feel safer traveling with my firearm but don't want to fumble on the one yard line and get kicked out of graduate school.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm in the same boat on this one. Although I'm only halfway through nursing school. I carry all the time and most of my friends (close classmates) know I carry, but when I go to my nursing specific classes I do not carry because who the heck knows when I'm going to be picked to sit in a hospital bed for some sort of demonstration. All I need is my crazy liberal prof to feel a gun and there goes all of my invested money and time.

Top Bottom