• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I am familiar with back country hiking and camping but not familiar with The Deam Lake Wilderness area. I am looking for a place that would offer my boys and I a Big Woods back country experience. Some trail hiking would be fine but we are looking to set up camp for a couple of days with a water source not to far away and camping as legally close to water as we can would be a benefit. I have heard there are some decent places but that is all I know at this point. Feel free to PM me. Thanks for your help.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm assuming you're talking about the Deam Wilderness area. Part of it is shoreline on Lake Monroe. A lot of that is shared with horses and their riders.

IMG_20140315_181505_708_zps8bdb3f07.jpg

P1040112_zps46b0e728.jpg

Another option down there would be the Pate Hollow trail. It's a 7 or 8 mile loop that would let you camp along the lake at around the halfway point.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I'm assuming you're talking about the Deam Wilderness area. Part of it is shoreline on Lake Monroe. A lot of that is shared with horses and their riders.

IMG_20140315_181505_708_zps8bdb3f07.jpg

P1040112_zps46b0e728.jpg

are both of these picks the Pate Hollow trail?

Another option down there would be the Pate Hollow trail. It's a 7 or 8 mile loop that would let you camp along the lake at around the halfway point.
    Are both of thes picks the

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Think there taking about two separate places. Deam Lake in Borden Indiana and Deam Wilderness near Bloomington. Knobstone runs from Deam Lake up to Salem.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My son and I did some backpacking several years ago at Deam lake / Knobstone trail. Actually lost the trail and our bearings for a day or so. Had an adventure! I suspect the trail is better marked now. Nice country down there

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Deam Lake State Recreation Area, Clark State Forest, and Jackson-Washington State Forest are all adjoining properties that include the Knobstone Trail. Deam Wilderness is a separate Hoosier National Forest property adjoining Lake Monroe. Geodes are pretty common in the area around Deam Wilderness. I don't know if they are as common down by Deam Lake though...

Indyscouter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    I'll throw this one out there if you don't mind a bit of a drive - Red River Gorge - East of Lexington Kentucky. Get a three day car permit at the local gas station for $5, and camp basically anywhere you want (there are some restrictions on locations, you can read on the permit). Amazing views and really good hiking, Rock Climbing as well if that's your thing.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    If your talking about Deam Wilderness Area and Lake Monroe then try loading everything on a boat and finding a camp site off the water. Seting up camp will be easy and you can hike up to some trails on Grubb Ridge or Terrill Ridge. You should be isolated from most other people and packing up or moving camp will be easy with the boat to haul as much stuff as you would ever need.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'll throw this one out there if you don't mind a bit of a drive - Red River Gorge - East of Lexington Kentucky. Get a three day car permit at the local gas station for $5, and camp basically anywhere you want (there are some restrictions on locations, you can read on the permit). Amazing views and really good hiking, Rock Climbing as well if that's your thing.

I'll second the Red River Gorge, even if it is a but further away. Beautiful area with lots of natural formations. You can have forest, hills, cliffs and rivers all depending on what you're looking for. Plenty of access points/bait shops, with LOTS of wilderness in between.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    IIRC, you can only take Geodes from Deam Wilderness area (National Forest) under select circumstances. I believe one of those circumstances is a school teacher retrieving them for educational purposes.

You can collect a "small amount for a personal collection". You can NOT collect them and sell them.

Top Bottom