• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My dad has an old Belgium side by side 12 gauge with external hammers. The barrel has "laminated" in the center rib. We shot it many years ago when we were shooting clays. And we shot it a lot. It's been in the safe for a few decades. But I got to thinkin'.

I'd like to take it, just once to go squirrel hunting. But I've heard that the laminated barrels are not up to the modern shotgun loads. We didn't know that in the 90's when we were shooting the crap out of it. It never had any issues.

So what's the risk of a couple of more shells through it. (Less than a box). Is there a load that would be better than a standard 2 3/4" #7 or 8? The Federal mini shells?

I just think it would be great to have a little hunting history to go along with it. Dad and I had planned to make it a wall hanger at some point. A few squirrel tails in the mount would be good.

Thoughts?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    IANA metallurgist so take it for what it's worth. The fact that you have shot this gun a bunch indicates that there's nothing glaringly deficient in its construction. However, just as with anything man-made, it's not a question of if it will break but when. A few rounds of cheap 6 shot should be fine, but things work until they don't.

I get it. My father in law has a low number Springfield M1903 that I'd love to take out and shoot, but there's always that risk and I prefer to keep both my eyes.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    BT, I'd clean the old rascal and lay some Ballistol or Eezox on the metal, pledge on the wood and build a nice plaque to hang it on. Then kill a limit one day with your .22 and salt 5 tails to go with the tales it brings to mind. Wouldn't risk the injury or damage for a story the Grandkids are gonna assume we made up anyway. ;)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I would find some black powder loads if I was going to shoot it.
    Personally I would leave it as a Wall Hanger

Smokeless is a different bird than what that firearm was built for.
    Yeah, I wouldn't risk it with ANY modern load. IIRC even the minishells operate at modern pressures. BP or BP pressure equivalent would be all I'd consider using.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Every gun that has blown up shares the same history of, "it worked great right up to the time it blew..."

Something to think about...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My dad has an old Belgium side by side 12 gauge with external hammers. The barrel has "laminated" in the center rib. We shot it many years ago when we were shooting clays. And we shot it a lot. It's been in the safe for a few decades. But I got to thinkin'.

I'd like to take it, just once to go squirrel hunting. But I've heard that the laminated barrels are not up to the modern shotgun loads. We didn't know that in the 90's when we were shooting the crap out of it. It never had any issues.

So what's the risk of a couple of more shells through it. (Less than a box). Is there a load that would be better than a standard 2 3/4" #7 or 8? The Federal mini shells?

I just think it would be great to have a little hunting history to go along with it. Dad and I had planned to make it a wall hanger at some point. A few squirrel tails in the mount would be good.

Thoughts?

Damascus shotguns are just plain BEAUTIFUL!

Any pics?

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have been researching it a little, I want a nice Damascus side by side. Back in the day plenty of people reloaded BP without alot of specialty tools. You can do the same. Always lean towards safety, don't do something you know is unsafe. It will always be fine until that 1 time it isn't.

Top Bottom