Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Coming from someone as analytical as you, now I don't feel so bad.

Back years ago, when I dabbled a bit with my 308 bolt gun and optics, it all got a bit daunting. Combined that with little access to shoot centerfire rifle at much distance without it becoming an all day event, and all the research, reading and constant second guessing myself and I just decided to trade things off and focus on less brain taxing aspects of the hobby.
    I think with choosing an optic, you really have to break it down into groups first, basically process of elimination. The problem is each group is it's own conquest. And honestly, I get hung up on the very first question I ask myself, ALOT. The rest aren't necessarily in order, just thinking of them as I go.

1) What goal do I want to accomplish? Hunt, CQB, 3 gun, long range precision, shoot for small groups at XXX distance, etc.
    2) What is my ACTUAL budget? How much am I REALLY willing to spend?
    3) Do I want a magnified optic?
    4) Do I have issues with astigmatism?
    5) Do I need "duty ready"? Am I "going to war" with this optic?
    6) Does weight matter?
    7) Does size matter?
    8) Do I want a variable or fixed power scope?
    9) If a variable power scope is decided, do I want FFP or SFP?
    10) Is this going on a hard recoiling rifle?
    11) Do I need illumination?
    12) What kind of reticle do I want?
    13) For distance, do I plan on dialing in with turrets or using the reticle to hold?
    14) How is the glass, will my eyes do well with it?
    15) Does eye relief matter?
    16) Does the color of the optic go with my rifle and mount?
    17) Will I look cool LARPing with this optic? (Live Action Role Play for you old dudes and no, I don't do this myself :) )

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm having the same problems looking at a scope for my new bolt gun. I really like the DT 6x24x50 I have on my RART, so I'm just going to get one for my Bergerra. It'll let me get 100 yards decently and possibly further. I don't know if I need or want to go out further right now, but wanted something that would let me if I choose to do so. Reading Ryan's book, I know .308 will go out to 800 - 900 yards without a problem and the DT scope, while not being the best by any means, will work.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm having the same problems looking at a scope for my new bolt gun. I really like the DT 6x24x50 I have on my RART, so I'm just going to get one for my Bergerra. It'll let me get 100 yards decently and possibly further. I don't know if I need or want to go out further right now, but wanted something that would let me if I choose to do so. Reading Ryan's book, I know .308 will go out to 800 - 900 yards without a problem and the DT scope, while not being the best by any means, will work.
    Overwhelming information on scopes out there. So many options.

ETA: As a 29 year old, should I have already known what LARP meant? I've seen the acronym, never knew what it meant.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I think with choosing an optic, you really have to break it down into groups first, basically process of elimination. The problem is each group is it's own conquest. And honestly, I get hung up on the very first question I ask myself, ALOT. The rest aren't necessarily in order, just thinking of them as I go.

1) What goal do I want to accomplish? Hunt, CQB, 3 gun, long range precision, shoot for small groups at XXX distance, etc.
    2) What is my ACTUAL budget? How much am I REALLY willing to spend?
    3) Do I want a magnified optic?
    4) Do I have issues with astigmatism?
    5) Do I need "duty ready"? Am I "going to war" with this optic?
    6) Does weight matter?
    7) Does size matter?
    8) Do I want a variable or fixed power scope?
    9) If a variable power scope is decided, do I want FFP or SFP?
    10) Is this going on a hard recoiling rifle?
    11) Do I need illumination?
    12) What kind of reticle do I want?
    13) For distance, do I plan on dialing in with turrets or using the reticle to hold?
    14) How is the glass, will my eyes do well with it?
    15) Does eye relief matter?
    16) Does the color of the optic go with my rifle and mount?
    17) Will I look cool LARPing with this optic? (Live Action Role Play for you old dudes and no, I don't do this myself :) )
    All good questions, Dogg !

Last edited:

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    P-0830 shoots the pop off of lollypops at 50 yards with a 22. Not big LP's either. The little suckers'. They do not stand chance when he brings them to bare under his gaze.
    Avg rounds such as the blazers do not hold consistent enough for that work.....:)

He knows his rimfires....:):
    I have absolutely zero doubt that i am at the bottom of the totem when it comes to knowledge about things and stuff. Most of you guys have years/decades of experience on me, Im just sayin itll work lol. Also i can probably take out a lolipop at 50 with my henry and good ammo. The tootsie pop size for sure, maybe a dum dum depending on the day.
    I was high when i said that. You could be 2nd or 3rd...hell, you could even be 4th!
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?! Ive lived my life by those words!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom