Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I picked up the Vortex MICRO3X MAGNIFIER recently but haven't tried it out yet. I don't generally use a magnifier so the QD mount on the micro is convenient. Of course the catch is they retail for about $100 more than the VMX.

Very nice looking, but for the money I think I'll stick with the VMX. Would be interested in seeing yours sometime at HHRP.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning guys

I've only played around with one magnifier. It was a Primary Arms unit with their mount. I was not impressed by the magnifier or the mount. I have never fondled a Vortex unit in person. That's my unhelpful input.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm just curious as I've seen them in videos and such often, but never handled one. I'm very tempted to just pick one up and give it a go. Worst case is I have to lose $25 of so and sell it later... :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Worst case is I have to lose $25 of so and sell it later... :dunno:

Not an unreasonable plan.

My general thoughts are as follows (based on very little time using a magnifier). Using the combination of red dot and magnifier without being able to easily mount and remove the magnifier does not seem appealing. The Strikefire II has a 4 MOA dot which will be 12 MOA with a 3x behind it. That will cover 2' at 200 yards. Not exactly a precision aiming setup. If you are going to flip it off to the side frequently it is just in the way.

Reality may be different than I imagine. Also a 1 MOA dot might be more appropriate with a magnifier.

In general, I feel better served with a 1-4x LPVO with a lighted center red dot in the reticle. It can be used like a red dot at 1x and cranked up for long shots without magnifying the dot.

Just my :twocents: and worth what you paid for it.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I can bring the magnifier to HHRP Monday Feb 1 if you want to play with it on your setup. Might want to remind me though.

I can also bring an AR with a 1-4 LPVO for comparison.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Okay, now I have that darn optic on the brain. Unfortunately they're $200 new, but Cabela's have them in stock locally so I might need to take a drive today:

For that price, I'd be contacting Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics ... https://aaoptics.com/STRIKEFIRE-II-RED-DOT-_p_634.html ... Site Supporter and all around good guy ... know what I mean?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Morning, everyone.

I'm on the hunt for a lightweight optic. That 1-8x I bought is quite heavy and I need just one more optic.

@mcapo , how'd the deer rifle search go?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not an unreasonable plan.

My general thoughts are as follows (based on very little time using a magnifier). Using the combination of red dot and magnifier without being able to easily mount and remove the magnifier does not seem appealing. The Strikefire II has a 4 MOA dot which will be 12 MOA with a 3x behind it. That will cover 2' at 200 yards. Not exactly a precision aiming setup. If you are going to flip it off to the side frequently it is just in the way.

Reality may be different than I imagine. Also a 1 MOA dot might be more appropriate with a magnifier.

In general, I feel better served with a 1-4x LPVO with a lighted center red dot in the reticle. It can be used like a red dot at 1x and cranked up for long shots without magnifying the dot.

Just my :twocents: and worth what you paid for it.
    Excellent points.

I'll add that the size of the dot does not increase when using a magnifier behind a holographic optic, like an Eotech or Vortex UH-1.

I'd rather have the LPVO mentioned. Personal preference.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I can bring the magnifier to HHRP Monday Feb 1 if you want to play with it on your setup. Might want to remind me though.

I can also bring an AR with a 1-4 LPVO for comparison.

That sounds good. Would definitely like to see the difference.

For that price, I'd be contacting Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics ... https://aaoptics.com/STRIKEFIRE-II-RED-DOT-_p_634.html ... Site Supporter and all around good guy ... know what I mean?

I checked his sight first, but he only shows the red version in stock and I was wanting the red/green. I've used Alan in the past and plan to in the future as well.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning, everyone.

I'm on the hunt for a lightweight optic. That 1-8x I bought is quite heavy and I need just one more optic.

@mcapo , how'd the deer rifle search go?
    I don't know that lightweight and 1-8x go together. Lightweight and 1-4, sure.

And lightweight is subjective. My wife thinks some of my Glocks are heavy. And on the other hand, someone built like the Rock probably thinks a Desert Eagle is lightweight.

What scope do you have?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, this is a "lighter" build then either of my other AR's and I really don't want to add a ton of weight. Still not sure what I want to do with it. May just throw on the trash 25 I have for now until I decide.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well, this is a "lighter" build then either of my other AR's and I really don't want to add a ton of weight. Still not sure what I want to do with it. May just throw on the trash 25 I have for now until I decide.
    Iron sights are always the lightest option. Especially when the "irons" are actually polymer. It only gets heavier the more you add. :)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    That sounds good. Would definitely like to see the difference.

I checked his sight first, but he only shows the red version in stock and I was wanting the red/green. I've used Alan in the past and plan to in the future as well.
    Ahhh ... my apologies, I didn't catch the red/green option ... great show by the way.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For those with Ruger Wranglers that would like a leather holster, I’m in process of making one for mine. We shall see how it goes, just in the making a template part right now. Should have time to get back to it today. Not going full on gun belt and rig yet, just want a simple leather holster for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom