• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I had a CZ 97B that I loved everything about but hated the trigger. Contacted INGO member Rob377 the CZ Trigger Master to help me out. The gun started out as a stock 97B. Rob377 Converted it to SAO with the help of Cajun Gun Works parts. I plan on shooting "Limited 10" in USPSA with this gun.

CZ Parts:
    CGW Race Hammer
    CGW adjustable Sear
    CGW floating trigger pin
    CGW reduced power firing pin block spring
    CGW/Dawson sights
    CZ Shadow "drop free" mag brake
    fresh hammer strut pin
    CZ New Style Thin Aluminum Grips (cerakoted black by INGO member AllenM)

Before Pics
    20140305_195217_zpsbb7ad605.jpg

After Pics
    20140315_105603_zps0d7b2623.jpg

20140315_105753_zpsc0a17439.jpg

Last edited:

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That is beautiful!

Thanks Que. Now I need a ZT Knife to post pics in your CZ/ZT thread.

A 97B is the most accurate .45 I've ever shot. That should be an absolute tackdriver. Congrats, she's a beauty.

It is one of the most accurate guns I shot before I had it converted to SAO. Rob377 test fired it after the gunsmithing work. He shot 3 rounds from 10 yards in a 3/4 inch group.

So, educate me. If it is now SA only, do you carry it cocked and locked like a 1911?

Before it was SAO you could carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. This is no longer a carry gun since the trigger is 3.25lb. For any competitions I shoot the hammer must be down while its holster since we are on a cold range following the RO's orders.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks Que. Now I need a ZT Knife to post pics in your CZ/ZT thread.

I'm sure there are plenty around, so you won't have any trouble finding one.

Before it was SAO you could carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. This is no longer a carry gun since the trigger is 3.25lb. For any competitions I shoot the hammer must be down while its holster since we are on a cold range following the RO's orders.

I've never seen a DA/SA converted to SAO, so seeing that it still has the hammer, is it like striker-fire now? Do you not need to cock the hammer?

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis

I've never seen a DA/SA converted to SAO, so seeing that it still has the hammer, is it like striker-fire now? Do you not need to cock the hammer?

If you pull the trigger with the hammer down it wont do anything. The DA function is gone. The hammer has to be cocked for you to pull the trigger and make the hammer drop.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I don't understand this statement. All of my carry guns are around 3lbs.

Yea I seen your thread on this topic. I feel more then comfortable carrying a light trigger as daily carry but choose not to due to legal issues if I ever had to use a gun with what a prosecutor would call a "Hair Trigger"

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Okay, was just curious. I know a lot of folks who carry 1911s cocked and locked at about that weight. It just struck me when you said you "can't" but I fully respect that you "choose not to".

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Okay, was just curious. I know a lot of folks who carry 1911s cocked and locked at about that weight. It just struck me when you said you "can't" but I fully respect that you "choose not to".

Yea I have a 1911 that I daily carry sometimes with a 3.5-4lb trigger when cocked and locked. My other daily carry is a Ruger LCR 38sp.

Was also curious what weight mainspring you were running 13# or 11.5#?

Unsure what weight mainspring he used. Im waiting on Rob377 to get back to me on a detailed parts list. Will update the OP when he gets back with me. He is a Range Officer today at Atlanta Conservation Club for a steel plate challenge.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, I think that is a fantastic gun and I am very envious. Congrats again.

Thanks. I loved the gun before Rob377 worked his magic on it. If I had more free time today and wasn't totally exhausted from work this week I would have shot it at Atlanta Conservation Club today at the steel plate challenge. They had 40 or so shooters there this morning when I picked up the gun from Rob377. Cant wait to hit the range with it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    She looks good with the black grips!

That gun will run with any off-the-shelf 1911 in terms of accuracy (this coming from an unapologetic 1911 fanboy)

When I was getting it sighted in, I used a standard USPSA/IDPA .75" paster at 10yds as a sighting point. First shot, it center punched that paster. Second was right on top of the first. VERY impressive. It made me sad to go back to my turd Glock! :):

The trigger is 3.25lb measured from the middle, 2.75 from the tip (more leverage) All safeties remain functional and it will set off any ammo the OP wants to use.

the mainspring is the stock mainspring. On a SAO, there isn't any reason to use a 13#, and even on a DA/SA, I wouldn't use a 11.5 unless I had a lifetime supply of Federal primers. And even then I probably wouldn't.

Parts list: (easier that texting it!)

CGW Race Hammer
    CGW adjustable Sear
    CGW floating trigger pin
    CGW reduced power firing pin block spring
    CGW/Dawson sights
    CZ Shadow "drop free" mag brake
    fresh hammer strut pin

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for chiming in Rob377 and I agree with you on it will run with a 1911 in terms or accuracy. I am also a diehard 1911 fanboy and I find myself shooting the 97B better then my 1911's before you did the work.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

To convert a DA/SA CZ to SAO, you replace the trigger (not really necessary, but it's not as nice when done if the gun still has a mile of pre-travel) with one that has an adjustment screw, or is milled a bit differently to eliminate the pre-travel. Then, you pull the hammer and remove the shoe that connects to the trigger bar. The way a CZ works is that it's like have two sears in there. The shoe you remove is the double action sear and it drops the hammer before the single action sear engages. The shoe is also what transmits the movement of the trigger bar to the hammer and once gone, the trigger bar can move freely without pulling the hammer back. In single action mode, the trigger bar moves far enough to the rear to disengage the S/A sear.

When modified, the gun operates similar to how a 1911 operates. I had converted one of my CZs to SAO but ended up converting back to SA/DA because I decided to carry with the hammer at the half cock notch and safety off. The safety on a CZ is not the easiest thing to reach unless you have large hands and at the half cock position, the trigger pull is almost identical to my Glocks.

That's probably way more info than you were interested in, but having just put mine back together, I could not help but to run on a bit.

Seeing the OP's CZ 97 sure does make me miss mine. BA is right, that gun was a tack driver. I wonder where it ended up.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you pull the trigger with the hammer down it wont do anything. The DA function is gone. The hammer has to be cocked for you to pull the trigger and make the hammer drop.

Duhhhh... thanks for the kind response. I forget the 1911 isn't the only gun that can run in SA.

Top Bottom