CVA Wolf Muzzle Loader Bullet Drop FYI...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Hey, just in case this information is of use to somebody who only has a 100yd range for sighting, but hunts fields... Pretty common muzzle loader, bullets, powder, and primers, so I figured I'd share...

- Muzzle Loader: CVA Wolf .50, 24" barrel, 1:28 twist (Wolf 209 Magnum Break-Action:: CVA)

- Bullets: Power Belt, .50, 245 grain, Copper, Aero Tip (Powerbelt Bullets | Copper Series Bullets)

- Powder: (3) Hodgdon 777 50-grain pellets, for a total of 150 grains (THIS IS A MAGNUM LOAD! DO NOT USE THIS LOAD UNLESS YOUR MUZZLE LOADER IS CAPABLE OF MAGNUM LOADS!!) (Triple Seven Pellets)

- Primer: Winchester 777 Muzzle Loader 209 Primer (Bass Pro Shops Winchester® #209 777 Primers Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products)

- Bushnell 4x32 scope in T/C "universal muzzle loader" rings and bases

------------------------------

- Sighted in at 50 yards.

- Cleaned between shots with (1) cleaning patch (both sides, blue TC ML cleaning solution on cotton patch), and (1) dry white patch (both sides as well).

- Showed no statistically measurable difference between cold-bore, first shot fired since "good" home cleaning with foam, cleaning patches, white patches, and oil patch; and the standard "between shot" cleanings. (this was only with 2 "cold" shots, but they were right in the middle of the groups, so I see no need to pursue it.)

- Average 1.5 MOA groups (this is standing up, resting my elbow on the hood of the truck and front hand on folded soft gun case, so they could have been better if I was on a real-live bench, but that wouldn't be the same as me holding the rifle when hunting, so I didn't want to introduce anything "different")

25 yds = ~0
    50 yds = 0
    75 yds = -0.25"
    100 yds = -2"
    125 yds = -3.75"
    150 yds = -7.5"
    175 yds = -12.75"
    200 yds = -20"

I won't take a shot over 200 yards with a muzzle loader, so I stopped there...

Mike

Last edited:
    Top Bottom