• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squirt239

Expert
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Shot my CVA Buckhorn yesterday for the first time. I wish I could post the picture of my target, but can't. So instead I will explain it. Mind you, I just installed a 6 power (el cheapo) Tasco Pronghorn on it that I've had for close to 15 years.

:ar15:First shot at 100 yards: Low 4" right 1" Adjusted elevation
    :ar15:Second shot at 100 yards: Low 3" left 1" Adjusted elevation again
    :ar15:Third shot at 100 yards: On center left 2" Adjusted windage
    Fourth shot at 100 yards: Bulls eye:rockwoot:
    Fifth shot at 100 yards: Bulls eye:rockwoot:

I'm pretty impressed seeing as how I only paid $75 for the gun and was given the scope. I was using 100 grain of Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain bullet.

How are the INGO's muzzleloaders comparing? 100 grain is the max on my gun...is that enough?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Good choice and good shooting. My choice of muzzleloader is a CVA buckhorn as well. And they offer great accuracy for the money. I normally run 100 grain out of mine though, it'll be plenty for 100-150 yards. Are you sure that it doesn't say Magnum on it somewhere? If not it must be an older model cause mine is also good for 150 gr magnum loads.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    I killed a lot of deer with the one that I had. Keep it clean they don't take long before they are all rusted up.
    Chris Kiefner

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I think CVA is one of the more underrated muzzleloader companies out there. I suspect people dismiss them because their pricing is often lower than Thompson or the others, or because lots of their stuff is spanish or italian manufacture. It's still some pretty good weaponry. I've still got my first one, and love my old school hawken. That set trigger makes it tough to beat.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    "I think CVA is one of the more underrated muzzleloader companies out there. I suspect people dismiss them because their pricing is often lower..."

People dismiss them b/c of all the lawsuits that came from personal injuries caused by KaBooms. The Spanish maker decided to save some money by using extruded metal barrels for a few years back in the late 90's. Coupled with breech plugs with incomplete/faulty threads, you have a pipe bomb or a muzzleloader that fires in reverse. Class action lawsuits have followed, but yet CVA continues to sell guns. I don't know if they've changed their ways or not, but I'll never be near one.

$75 bucks is cheap for a gun, and only you can decide if that's a good thing. Sounds like you have it shooting well.

As for me, I've got a muzzleloader that shoots a 300 grain bullet at about 2275fps using only about 59 grains of powder (VV N120 smokeless). These bullets will easily keep a 4 inch group at 200 yards. However, I paid just less than 10 times what you did for the convenience of smokeless powder muzzloading, stainless barrel, laminate stock.

Top Bottom