• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I find myself with a need to cut some 4x4 posts. They'll be used outdoors (pressure treated) and won't be used for anything being featured in Architectural Digest.

My choices are: a 10" mitre saw or a 7 1/4" circular saw. I know that ideally that's a job for a 12" mitre, but I really don't want to pay $300 - $500 to make 8-10 cuts.

I'm leaning towards the mitre just to have less work by not having to flip the posts 2-3 times to make multiple "passes" at the cut with the circular saw.

Last question is, if you think the 10" will get the job done, would a general blade or fine finish make the job easier or it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I find myself with a need to cut some 4x4 posts. They'll be used outdoors (pressure treated) and won't be used for anything being featured in Architectural Digest.

My choices are: a 10" mitre saw or a 7 1/4" circular saw. I know that ideally that's a job for a 12" mitre, but I really don't want to pay $300 - $500 to make 8-10 cuts.

I'm leaning towards the mitre just to have less work by not having to flip the posts 2-3 times to make multiple "passes" at the cut with the circular saw.

Last question is, if you think the 10" will get the job done, would a general blade or fine finish make the job easier or it doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!
    I've done it many times. 40 tooth will be fine as long as it's carbide tipped.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have a 12" sliding miter so that is what I use for most everything. Have two blades the general purpose that came on the saw either 40 or 60 tooth carbide. The other is a Diablo 100 tooth carbide that gives a really nice finish. My Ridgid brand saw is easy and fast to change blades so anything that does not have to be really nice or if it is treated wood gets the general purpose blade. Jim.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Even if you have to roll it and make multiple cuts, miter saws are much nicer and safer because they eliminate so many axis of movement. I don't remember what size it was but cutting 4x4s with mine was never an issue. Wouldn't want to do it with a circular saw.

Top Bottom