Custom leather holster maker in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I have a H+R Sportsman I would like a leather holster for, does anyone know if anyone local makes holsters? (South Central IN) I do not need premier grade, mostly just looking to keep my money out of China, and preferably local.
    Same Question but for wood grips for a revo. I have a Rossi 971 and just hate those big rubber grips any one know of grip maker (even hobby grade is fine with me) again looking to support local economy if I can. Thanks all.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Watching. I've bought some very nice custom leather from around the country, and some nice kydex locally, but I'd love to find a local leather worker to make a holster for a Witness Elite Match. I did stop in a couple of the leather worker stores down in Nashville, but they seem to specialize in butt-less pants for Harley riders...

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Hey Rockhopper, I just went up to Hooch's holsters in greenwood yesterday and had a kydex holster made for my Witness Elite Match. Just a coincidence but I love my match and dont understand how anyone wouldn't. So Nashville is out for a holster with a coverd butt?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    DJones, do you have a website/charge list? What if I supply my own leather? As per my other post tonight, I'm planning to save my deer hides this year for leather projects. I'd love to have a holster made from a deer I took. Still have to find someone to tan it but that's another issue....

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    ViperJock,

I make leather goods on the side. I do not have a website or any established business. I make around a dozen holsters per year for friends, family and INGO members.

I really like your idea of using your own deer hide. I would think your local taxidermist could help you get the hide tanned. If you want a really soft deer hide you will want it brain tanned. I would think regular vegetable tanning would be best for a holster.

If you were to provide the material I could make you a handgun holster for $60-80 depending upon style. Most of my holsters take 5-8 hours to complete as I hand saddle stitch. Machine stitching can come unraveled while saddle stitching will last a lifetime.

David

Last edited:

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Thats some nice work DJ.

I have made a few of my own IWB holsters with vegetable tanned leather. I will spare you the pics as it's nothing close to what you have done.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A guy I know at work has some nice work done by an Amish fellow. He is somewhere in central Indiana, probably not too far from the Crawfordsville area.

If you are interested, I can ask him for the guys contact information. Not sure if he has phone or not though.

Top Bottom