• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    The ammo crunch has led to low turnouts in a hobby that already seemed to be on a decline in some disciplines.
    As both a competitor and a match director, I am eye-balling the future and wondering what's in store.

Obviously, at some point, ammo will become available again, but there will certainly be a "new normal" with regards to price, and also the time-frame. What are everyone's thoughts on where this is headed? Is there a line you won't cross with regards to price? Will people make a return? Will ammo return and a new influx of gun owners will gain interest? Should the match directors make adjustments? Will you still come for lower round counts?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Everyone will have different reasons. For me, it isn’t the shortage but 5 grandkid travel leagues in baseball, softball, soccer, jazz band and gymnastics. This is my fourth ammo draught and I didn’t get caught this time. Retirement prep saw to that. I have outfitted a few retailers with my surplus as an effort to keep shooters running but stocked goods are level for my own shooting and I can outfit my students on occasion but will only replace my future stock with my preferred brands if/when they become available. I still will shoot matches when the schedule permits but I have to admit that I have always favored lower round count stages but that’s just me. When you shoot all the shooting sports along with balancing family life, restoring tractors and running a business, events get spread pretty thin.

Directing and running Matches is hard enough in good times let alone now and I respect and thank everyone stepping up to the position of all the hard work. It is possible it will get worse for the shooting sports as a whole as there has been a huge saturation of events available in the last 20 years. Some of us can remember when we had to drive 3 hours for a monthly as organized shooting was scarce in the 70’s. If one shooter played one monthly USPSA along with one SCSA, he can spend close to 400 rounds in just these two disciplines. No doubt there will be some filtration of some sports and casual outlaw events may linger but there can be no peaks without valleys. Let’s just hope the new normal shines on the matches that can make it through the white water.

Thanks again for caring to ask.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Shot an IDPA match about a month ago at my normal club, this was only my second match this year. Only about half as many shooters compared to two years ago and this was discussed among squad members. Price and lack of ammo seemed to be the big factor.
    That is the biggest factor for me, haven't done any reloading for almost two years so am very low on ammo. Life got in my way about two years ago when we decided to move here from Illinois. Finding property then buying a modular to put on it along with the incidentals like septic system and well took up a lot of time. Add in getting our old house spiffed up and ready to sell then moving and doing all the other things here.
    I have always liked a mix of lower round count type stages especially up close targets. To me that is IDPA. That might have something to do with my shooting revolver class. I know a lot of shooters like the higher round count stages and that is OK too. However with the ammo supply being what it is right now I would think low round count would be more popular. I know I would go shoot more at that type match. Jim.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    What are everyone's thoughts on where this is headed? Is there a line you won't cross with regards to price? Will people make a return? Will ammo return and a new influx of gun owners will gain interest? Should the match directors make adjustments? Will you still come for lower round counts?

Price- $100, entry fee plus ammo for a local match. Past this, I’m going to have to start evaluating my participation. I’m probably not going to go anywhere but my home club approaching this price. If I shot factory ammo, I’d be close to this number now.

Returning competitors- I predict yes, but it needs to happen quickly. People on the fringe will lose interest and find a new hobby if this ammo market keeps up.

New competitors- Ammo cost and scarcity is the first hurdle to get new people into our game, in my experience. Lots of newer people to our community think 1000 rounds will last forever, so asking to burn 150 rounds on a Saturday is a lot. The second hurdle that’s always been here is that it’s just a hobby. In my circles, this hobby competes with farming, livestock, horses, motorcycles, golf, part time jobs, and chasing multiple kids. To get past these hurdles, I try to be a good ambassador for our sport. I’m working on two friends to get into USPSA, one of which I think could quickly become a competitive Production shooter. I’ve offered ammo, rides to a match, etc. and I think I’m about to get a breakthrough.

Changes- NO TEXAS STARS! (jk) I don’t want the MDs at the clubs I shoot at to change anything. Other than my home club, I’m driving almost 2 hours to a match. For me, it’s not worth 4 hours in the truck to shoot 80-100 rounds. I want 5 courses plus a classifier. 130-150 rounds is fine.

I appreciate the efforts of the local MDs, I’ll go to every match I can, help out where needed, and continue shooting Single Stack until I run out of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    time is the biggest issue. I have seen that my current job is Leaving me with almost none for family time let alone shooting. Looking to make a change soon to get back into it.

I reload so my pistol rounds are cheap but I’ve been wanting to try out some 2 gun competitions to sharpen my skills but the ammo cost of rifle rounds is a little cost prohibitive.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    It hasn't slowed me down, I'm still shooting 4 or 5 matches a month. Not shooting any centerline USPSA or SCSA, rimfire only this year.
    I have a limit per round that I will pay, and its dropped below my self imposed limit.
    I shot over 6000rds of 22LR, and 1800 or so rds of 45acp last year

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am new to the shooting sports having a Steel Challenge and two Conceal Carry matches under my belt. But I have been going to the range weekly since last summer/early fall. In the winter it was about 100 rounds a session, now it has crept up to around 150.

I'm going to try a USPSA match at some point. I will shoot until I run out of ammo. If reloading components(primers) aren't readily available and reasonably priced and/or factory 9mm doesn't get down under $0.35/round, I'm done with shooting.

This is after I exhaust what I currently have which is enough to get me back to this winter.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    .22's work for USPSA/IDPA, with some consideration for steels.

There are those who think .22's aren't right for USPSA, but I'm old enough to remember when the same was said about rifles.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    .22 for USPSA.

Might as well allow airsoft, and water guns.
    There's actually a lot of airsoft in shooting sports outside the US. Mixing things up might be something to consider here if we want to target younger generations and the influx of new gun owners. Personally I'll keep shooting as long as I have ammo and can get it or reload it reasonably enough.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    22lr is technically doable in USPSA. However, it would be for no score. The competitor would be entered as sub minor. Uspsa would collect their fee for the entry and practiscore would ignore it in the results. Personally, outside of kids, I think there other sports better suited for 22lr than uspsa.

Wildcat has rimfire falling steel which is field courses for rimfire. Highly recommended. It's the day after their uspsa match so they can use the same stages.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    22lr is technically doable in USPSA. However, it would be for no score. The competitor would be entered as sub minor. Uspsa would collect their fee for the entry and practiscore would ignore it in the results. Personally, outside of kids, I think there other sports better suited for 22lr than uspsa.

Wildcat has rimfire falling steel which is field courses for rimfire. Highly recommended. It's the day after their uspsa match so they can use the same stages.
    But under the circumstances, why not score it? As long as you dont have me with my 22/45 competing against you and your 10mm, what's it matter? What's wrong with a bunch of guys using 22s competing against each other and nobody else?

I mean, USPSA is the ultimate gamer shooting sport, so why not let somebody game running a rimfire? Who is it hurting?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    But under the circumstances, why not score it? As long as you dont have me with my 22/45 competing against you and your 10mm, what's it matter? What's wrong with a bunch of guys using 22s competing against each other and nobody else?

I mean, USPSA is the ultimate gamer shooting sport, so why not let somebody game running a rimfire? Who is it hurting?
    A: It's hurting people who want to see their name at the top of the Practiscore list.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Been allowing the .22 option at Owensboro all year, I haven't shot it because I still have a few 9's laying around. Back to the original premise (higher powered ammo not available or too expensive too shoot USPSA for most), .22's are still fun.

When you consider that some are shooting minor with 9mm steel pistols that look like they weigh around 40 lb, and others are shooting minor with long guns, and others are shooting open guns that they have put big money into to make them feel like shooting .22's without hearing protection, there is just not that much difference, a mouse fart is a mouse fart.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A: It's hurting people who want to see their name at the top of the Practiscore list.
    USPSA doesn’t break competitors up based on what they are shooting like IDPA?
    As long as 22 is a class of its own it shouldn’t touch anybody else’s standings. (e.g. Major, Minor, rimfire)

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Though I may run out and have to retire from shooting and find another sport, I do have a plan if prices dip for awhile.

I am going to figure out how much I need for the number of years I think I will be interested in shooting and I will stock up accordingly.

Then I can shoot through all the times of famine, general price increases, etc.. I will have everything I need to shoot until I am done shooting...forever.

And if I have anything left over, my son can have it.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I shoot private money shoots, these are held at mostly private ranges in surrounding states all long range rifle too. Scheduled shoots have been sporadic, # of shooters have been lower, hopefully it picks up in the near future, if anyone here shoots long range a lot of match ammo or components have been non-existent or tripled in price, then you add the entrance fees it gets really expensive if you don't place! You can make a lot of money especially on side bets if allowed . Hoping it picks up soon as it is my most favorite hobby i have since i quit riding harleys

Top Bottom