Cummins agrees to pay nearly $1.7B to settle federal Clean Air Act investigation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Cummins should simply shut down for a year. Lock the doors, tell the government to **** off and remove those billions of dollars Cummins moves through the economy. Use the money saved to pay this "fine". American company trying to compete on a global market against giants in China and India and what's their greatest hurdle? Their own government.

I guess Cummins didn't pay enough in bribes and lobbyist fees. I'm sure it's hard to outbid China in this global economy when they're government actually wants their corporations to succeed.
    That sounds great and all, but what are the close to 70,000 employees supposed to do during that year?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That sounds great and all, but what are the close to 70,000 employees supposed to do during that year?
    Yah, not happening. This ain't Atlas Shrugged. Those executives get bonuses when they play along with the Gubmint. If they shut down, they don't get squat.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Get pissed enough to change their government? Maybe Cummins should take it out of the employees checks?

Nah, we should just continue down the path we're on. Cummins will just absorb the cost and spread it out to the consumers. Anyon know what happens to that $1,600,000,000.00 gift consumers just paid the government? Maybe they'll pay down the national debt with it.

If I were Cummins I'd be on the phone right now negotiating with China. Give them everything they want, the tech, the production, all of it, move it all over there. Move it over to a market the U.S. president fights for, a country which actually wants to compete on the global market and acts like it. Clearly that's what the brilliant twits running this country want to happen so why drag it out?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Talking to relatives over the holidays the general consensus was that all new diesel pickups and cars will be gone very soon. Made me wonder how long before we see gasoline engines again with the displacements of WW2 era.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Talking to relatives over the holidays the general consensus was that all new diesel pickups and cars will be gone very soon. Made me wonder how long before we see gasoline engines again with the displacements of WW2 era.
    Anything they can do to weaken this country will be attempted.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Olds 350 was the first IIRC, I wonder if there is even 1 of those still operational...
    You either got a good one, which really wasn't that good, or you got BAD one that wouldn't make 50K miles. Fuel economy was better than anything gas from the era, but 0-60 times could be timed with a sundial.

Growing up, my family had one bad and one good. A 1981 Grand Prix my mom and dad bought new. It was a POS that didn't make 50K. On the plus side, it was my first car and I swapped in an Olds 455. The diesels were sold with crazy rear end gears in them to maximize fuel economy, like 2.14. That combined with the 455 made for crazy top end speed. I am quite lucky to be alive. The second one was an 1983 Olds 98 my dad bought at an auction for $250 in the early 90s for a beater. It had 150K on it when he bought it, so he figured it must be a good one. I later bought it from him when I took a job with a longer commute. Eventually sold it with almost 300K on it.

As for an operational one, I know of one. A neighbor had an early 80s Olds 98. He recently passed away in his 90s. His grandson is moving in to the old farmhouse and I just saw him drive that thing out of the barn. He said it hadn't run in at least 5 years, but a fresh battery was all it needed to start.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The sad part about this is all the government engines Cummins is building without any emissions right next to the civilian engines with emissions. It is all BS and I'm sure no one was harmed in any of the extra emissions that might have been put out.
    Isn't that just the perfect example of "rules for thee but not for me"?

Our government would be more than pleased to run Cummins out of business (or force it's sale to China) and start buying from other countries.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Isn't that just the perfect example of "rules for thee but not for me"?

Our government would be more than pleased to run Cummins out of business (or force it's sale to China) and start buying from other countries.
    I was installing some equipment on the line that assembled the 5.0L V8 that they were putting in the Nissan Titan trucks. They also assembled a very similar V8 on that line for the government. The engineers told us the Nissan engine had several issues that they government engine didn't have. Kind of irritating that they would put out something with known issues but that is a subject for a different discussion.

Top Bottom