• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I know this has probably been asked before. I tend to favor John Deere, but justifying the price tag is hard. Also looking for input on newer features. I mow around 3 acres with some steep hills that I don't think a zero turn would hang on.

So my 1987 JD 185 Hydro through the drive belt again last night and this time it ripped of the wiring to the blade PTO. I also notice the frame was cracked, which I assume is the reason for shredding so many drive belts lately. So now I am shopping for a new mower a bit sooner than I had planned.

I am pretty much down to the JD X380 with a 54" stamped deck and the Cub Cadet xt2 gx50 with a 50" fabricated deck. Both come with a 23hp Kawasaki engine and k58 trans axle, so I feel like the drive line doesn't factor into the decision. I don't really know if stamped or fabricated deck is better, seems like the both have their strong points.

One thing I really don't care for is the FastAttach blades on the CC. Seems like the simple bolt on blades worked fine for years, but maybe it is a nice feature for some.

The CC is about $1,300 cheaper than the JD. Also the JD would't get here until Nov. 5th at the earliest, so ill have to figure something out for the last few mows of the year.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    From what I have read you should prefer the fabricated deck. a). Because the fabricated decks are deeper they have better lift for a better cut and b) they are much stronger and sturdy than the stamped.
    for years I was mowing my 1.8 acres with my 42 inch cub cadet. It took 2 1/2 hours to mow.

A friend of mine gave me his dad‘s old case 235 diesel tractor with a 60 inch belly deck on it to use for a while. It only takes me 45 minutes to mow, and three blade deck that makes a big difference in quality cut.

I am in the market to replace it soon, so have been researching a bit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For me it is really simple, I would buy a JD from an authorized dealer only, (no big box models).

CC is not really a company, they are just a nameplate of MTD...
    This.

But for me, when I buy a tractor, I'm going to keep it 20+ years (my current lawn tractor, with it's stamped deck, is 24 years old). Dealer-sold JDs not only last a long time, but have pretty much every part available to repair for the foreseeable future. I have over 2,000 hours on my JD 325 and there is no part that is unavailable.

bconn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, In
    JD at a authorized dealer is made to JD specs. JD at big box store made to their specs with JD name on it. Simplicity makes a top rated machine BUT they are expensive initially but over the years their cost per year is really good.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just curious, has anyone actually owned higher end model Cub Cadet like I am looking at or is just based off hearsay. I know John Deere makes a quality machine for the most part (though my dad's 1025r has had more issues than I would put up with), just seems like with the same engine and trans axle the quality cant be too far off.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I inherited a Cub Cadet from my FIL. Can't mow a .3 acre lot without throwing the belt at least once. New belt, deck pullies, and PTO cable, all factory parts. A neighbor has a similar CC and has the same issue. If I lived closer to the coast this thing would be an artifical reef now. I would never buy Cub Cadet.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    A "real" JD from a JD dealer would be my first choice. My Dad bought a X350 2 years ago, that thing is awesome. I inherited his old '99 LT155, It still runs and cuts beautifully.

I know people that swear by CC and Simplicity as well. :twocents:

ETA: JD is very proud of their stuff.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Can't help you with Cub Cadet info. I did go thru this same issue couple years back, and my choice was a different Deere -

John Deere X738

I added the front quick hitch for the 54" plow and tractor shovel, along with the cat 1 three point hitch on the rear. Does everything I need it to, and more.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    A "real" JD from a JD dealer would be my first choice. My Dad bought a X350 2 years ago, that thing is awesome. I inherited his old '99 LT155, It still runs and cuts beautifully.

I know people that swear by CC and Simplicity as well. :twocents:

ETA: JD is very proud of their stuff.
    This is what I'm hung up on. The specs on the two machines just seem so similar, I feel like I would just be paying extra money for the green paint.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Go with Deere, buy from Deere dealer where you can get parts and service. Stay away from big box store mowers, no warranty service or parts without going to an authorized dealer, and of course the dealer will not appreciate that you bought it from big box. May as well start with the authorized dealer.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Go with Deere, buy from Deere dealer where you can get parts and service. Stay away from big box store mowers, no warranty service or parts without going to an authorized dealer, and of course the dealer will not appreciate that you bought it from big box. May as well start with the authorized dealer.

A dealer I know puts customers equipment to the front of the line, big box equipment is served when they get time...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    This is what I'm hung up on. The specs on the two machines just seem so similar, I feel like I would just be paying extra money for the green paint.
    I've always looked at it like you get what you pay for(most of the time). I agree with Mike, they have a great parts system if need be. They are expensive but I would still vote JD.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Just some more clarification, I know better than to buy from big box stores, that's why i specified the x380 model. I also do all my own service work and get parts at cost from a family member that works at Stens.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just some more clarification, I know better than to buy from big box stores, that's why i specified the x380 model. I also do all my own service work and get parts at cost from a family member that works at Stens.
    All I know about a dealer Cub Cadet is that my Dad had one. I used it a couple of times at his place. He liked it. I didn't, but that may have been a matter of taste. The x380 is great. Could a Cub be just as good? Maybe, but I don't know. All I really know is what I have experienced- a 24 year old JD that both mows grass and plows snow and starts every time.

Top Bottom