• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Just came into a buncha military 308 brass with crimped primers. Wanting to get started on em soon. I know that the crimped brass I've done in the past has been hard on decapping pins.
    Is there a dedicated decapper that ya'll would recommend? I'd be doing 223 as well.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've had good luck with this Lee die. Used it for many years with hardly an issue. Not to say that from time to time the pin didn't back out when you get an especially tough primer. But that's what it's supposed to do.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Never had a problem with a regular Lee Die for removing them.

As for the $130 Dillon swager... well, I use one of these Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Large It's worked for the past 5-6 years with no hiccup and you can use the $120 savings towards components or hell, anything. Removing the crimps shouldn't cost as much as a single stage press... in my opinion anyways.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Dillon swager is nice in the feature that it is really fast. It makes quick work of a couple thousand pieces of 9mm brass. That said, for rifle brass I usually use the Hornady cutter type tool that I threaded into a Redding hex adapter that snaps into an electric screwdriver.

The only time I really had an issue trying to remove crimped primers was when some crimped primer Berdan style cases were found in the batch of brass. I do not think any decapping pins can survive a Berdan case if you mindlessly slam the handle down.

ragnar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I use the lee pacesetter 3 die set (rather, the first 2 parts of the 3 die set). The deprime/resize die works fine. 55gr soft point/23.5gr of 4064 cci no450 and below is what I get at 35 yds standing. I do it single stage.
    1: lube, resize and deprime (trim if needed)
    2: ream
    3:prime
    4:dump powder
    5:seat projectile

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      761.8 KB · Views: 5

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    That's the whole reason I went with the Dillon swage. My hand hurt for days after using the RCBS and having to pound the press handle to get those cases to come loose, even after greasing it. I thought it was going to break the press if I continued using it. I think I had the Dillon ordered the next day. :)

Same here. I ordered the Dillon after realizing how unfriendly the RCBS tool was.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I guess I have just been lucky. I just use the standard resizing die and decapper. Never had a issue in thousands of rounds of 223 Or 308. Thats dillon dies for 223 and hornady for the 308. Only pins I have broke were on berdan primed mixed in and not paying attention

As far as the crimp. I have to agree thr dillon is amazing. You can do thousand plus rounds a hour just at a steady pace.

Top Bottom