• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Will public sentiment on increased number of shootings will earn anyone more than probation or a year? I recall a guy in Milwaukee convicted of 25 straw purchases got probation in 2015.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Authorities believe the six people purchased more than 90 guns since last November. More than 20 have been traced back to crimes in Chicago.

I hate the feds as much as the next guy but this is reasonably compelling evidence that these six are not what I would deem "regular" gun buyers.

The number of women in the list is interesting.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Next Indy 1500, go and people watch. You can spot women buying guns for their felon boyfriends pretty easily.
    I've also noticed this while hanging out with a gun dealer friend at the show. If he gets the vibe that it might be a straw purchase, he just stops the transaction and tells them the 4473 is flagged "on hold by the ATF". If the buyer is legit, they will hang out and ask why and how long will it be delayed. In the case of a straw purchase, they usually scurry out of the building post haste. Always funny to watch.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've also noticed this while hanging out with a gun dealer friend at the show. If he gets the vibe that it might be a straw purchase, he just stops the transaction and tells them the 4473 is flagged "on hold by the ATF". If the buyer is legit, they will hang out and ask why and how long will it be delayed. In the case of a straw purchase, they usually scurry out of the building post haste. Always funny to watch.
    That is smart of him to do. I talked to a couple dealers that won't even start the process if they get the vibe.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I asked a cousin in Michigan years back when he got his medical weed card why he didn't want to buy anymore guns. He looked kinda shocked. Stupid, actually, but shocked too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    112,000 people lied on 4473 in 2017. 12,700 cases were opened. 12 people were charged in 2018.
    Any wonder why no one fears violating fed gun laws?

This story was posted 3 days ago and was probably what prompted Fox 59's story.
    Well you know, the ATF has been busy going after people for possessing pieces of plastic and calling them machine guns.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    State prosecutors also rarely prosecute. Some schlump carrying without a license? Sure.
    Someone making a straw purchase for another? Not so much… Generally not so much as a question to said felon as to where he got the guns.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Most of the time a gun charge accompanies a felony of some other sort. It is known that the prosecutors regularly use the the weapons charge as a "give away" during plea bargaining. Now they make it look like they are "cracking down" on straw buyers but the statistics clearly show otherwise. Just a dog and pony show that does nothing to stop the flow of illegal weapons. What a piece of bovine excrement.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    112,000 people lied on 4473 in 2017. 12,700 cases were opened. 12 people were charged in 2018.
    Any wonder why no one fears violating fed gun laws?

This story was posted 3 days ago and was probably what prompted Fox 59's story.
    Well, that's 112,000 discrepancies in federal paperwork that are technically a crime. Only a tiny fraction constitute actual criminal intent or activity, the rest are likely mistakes probably originating from NICS itself. It shouldn't even exist in the first place.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Well, that's 112,000 discrepancies in federal paperwork that are technically a crime. Only a tiny fraction constitute actual criminal intent or activity, the rest are likely mistakes probably originating from NICS itself. It shouldn't even exist in the first place.
    From my experience working at several different gun shops it is often people with felonies hoping to get through the wait period and pick up the firearm. They know DOJ seldom prosecutes people lying on the 4473 so they feel it's worth the risk I suppose. They are criminals so breaking another law is no big deal to them.:postpics:

Top Bottom