• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    My 17 year old daughter was ticketed for failure to stop at a stop sign. She says that she did stop and she definitely feels as though the Leo is simply hassling people. One car after another was given a ticket for same thing apparently. Even one of her friends moms and one of her friends. We are going to appear tomorrow and I am wondering if the Leo has to provide video or is it just her word against his. She has been left with a bad taste towards cops over this. Do they do this type of thing to meet some kind of quota or something?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    depends.. if he/she doesn't show up to court.. the charges will be droped completely. but if he/she does show up.. you're more than likely just going to have to "argue" your point.
    and yes.. they will write tickets if they need/want to.. nothing anyone will/can do about it. it's almost like going to buy a car at the end of the month..

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    if he/she doesn't show up to court.. the charges will be droped completely.

I know that in Monroe County, they don't bother having the issuing officer show up in court. But if you plead not guilty, the prosecutor simply asks for a continuance, which the judge then happily grants, and on your next court date Officer Friendly WILL be there.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The number of people I know who have their own personal dash cams has been increasing rapidly in the last three years specifically for things like this. They tell me it's the only way they can defend themselves if they're in an accident or pulled over for a traffic violation.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Stop signs get a lot of attention every now and then. The roads in the subdivision I live in are town owned roads, and speed is more controlled by the many stop signs than the speed limit signs. They got really cute not too long ago and put a sign on the stop sign pole that read something to the effect: "Full stop - Free, Rolling stop - $216". Got the point across and they spent some time letting people know the difference between a full stop and rolling stop.

The good news is that crime has to be really low when police spend time making sure people actually stop their vehicles at those red signs.

The bad news is that it is her word against the police person and guess who wins in court?

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stop signs get a lot of attention every now and then. The roads in the subdivision I live in are town owned roads, and speed is more controlled by the many stop signs than the speed limit signs. They got really cute not too long ago and put a sign on the stop sign pole that read something to the effect: "Full stop - Free, Rolling stop - $216". Got the point across and they spent some time letting people know the difference between a full stop and rolling stop.

The good news is that crime has to be really low when police spend time making sure people actually stop their vehicles at those red signs.

The bad news is that it is her word against the police person and guess who wins in court?
    I saw those signs. I especially liked the "Courtesy of the ********* police department" part at the end. That 25 mph speed limit makes you pay attention too.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    he does not need dashcam, but I think you can subpoena any relevant dashcam footage if you so desire.

also, did she stop or did she rolling-stop? huge difference legally speaking.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My 17 year old daughter was ticketed for failure to stop at a stop sign. She says that she did stop and she definitely feels as though the Leo is simply hassling people. One car after another was given a ticket for same thing apparently. Even one of her friends moms and one of her friends. We are going to appear tomorrow and I am wondering if the Leo has to provide video or is it just her word against his. She has been left with a bad taste towards cops over this. Do they do this type of thing to meet some kind of quota or something?

Tell her to quit tasting the cops and just pay the ticket. Then stop at the stop signs from now on.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    We are going to appear tomorrow and I am wondering if the Leo has to provide video or is it just her word against his.

In traffic court, the rules of evidence do not apply in the same way they do in a criminal court. Most driving violations are an infraction, not a criminal offense. To be convicted of an infraction, the prosecutor must only "prove" their case "beyond a preponderance of the evidence" as opposed to criminal court where a charge must be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt."
    To be blunt, unless you [your daughter] have some actual tangible evidence, then the case is pretty much the officer's word against your daughter's. To be even more blunt, in traffic court, the officer's word is worth more than your daughter's. She may honestly believe that she came to a complete stop, but the reality is that the vast majority don't. Most of us (myself included) slow to a crawl, look both ways, and proceed if clear. The thing is, the law says complete stop. The citation she received could have been a result of citizen complaints in a certain area for repeated stopsign violations, therefore resulting in increased police presence targeting a particular intersection.

Do they do this type of thing to meet some kind of quota or something?

Depends on the department (and sometimes the division within the department for larger agencies). For the most part, the whole quota thing is a rumor. There are a few exceptions though. For example, the Troopers that drive the new Mustangs are required to make a certain number of "contacts" and write a certain number of citations each shift just to keep their shiny new rides. I believe the IMPD traffic division (including motorcycles) works the same way. Most town/city/county police agencies have no quota of any kind, however.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Maybe she doesn't know the difference between what she did and a real "stop".... I agree with JR.

nevermind about the joke, probably funnier in my head.......

It's called a STOP sign and not a roll through and lick a cop sign for reason.

Top Bottom