• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Why do these exist? Why does society insist upon men and women being the same? Apparently my very liberal BIL and his very liberal wife are having one and my MIL is insisting that I go. Modern times confuse me, and I'm only 33...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't know.

My only job regarding the baby shower(s) was: "get the stuff home"

i was fine with that.

That was my duty (hehe) as well.

However, I have a friend who had a baby shower for her son and DIL and they had a couples shower. She showed me videos from the event and it seemed like everyone was having fun and playing games. To each their own, I guess. I don't necessarily thing liberal/conservative has anything to do with it. I know a very conservative couple that had joint bachelor/bachelorette parties, but I guess that's different. :dunno:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I asked my wife to marry me I told her here's the deal...

"My buddy's an Attorney, he's going to get a judge in New Albany to make him Justice of the Peace for a day and we are going to get married on the dam at his lake with just a few close friends and we may all fish afterwards...Okay?"

"YES! That's fine....Great idea...."

I left for a couple of hours and came home to find my two Aunt's and my Mother sitting with my wife....They all looked up at me with a grin.....

"Okay Geary Boy, Here's the deal...."

And that's when I realized my days of making decisions was over......

"And then he said, "We're going to get married on the dam of the lake by a Justice of the Peace"....Followed by hearty guffaws from all women present....

I never had a chance.....Yet few men ever went more willingly into slavery as I......:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Father involved in baby shower = father's friends invited = more potential gifts. This isn't rocket science.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The fun & games part I left to the women but I did take part in the gift-opening at my wife's baby-shower. The purpose was so I could see what everybody got us etc and be a part of that. It was, afterall, OUR child, not only hers.

We don't segregate Christmas gift-opening into men's & women's do we? Why must the celebration and gift-opening for a couple's first child be treated differently, as if it is only the wife who is having a child?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Father involved in baby shower = father's friends invited = more potential gifts. This isn't rocket science.
    This man speaks the truth... when my brother had his first he had what is known as a "diaper bash"... Pizza, beer, liquor, manly activities, etc; your ticket into the event was diapers & wipes, and if you brought the $5 pack everybody knew you were a half-*** cheap-skate friend because they could visually see your contribution... my brother didn't buy a single diaper the entire first year... I have regrets of not having a diaper-bash as well, those things are pretty danged expensive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The fun & games part I left to the women but I did take part in the gift-opening at my wife's baby-shower. The purpose was so I could see what everybody got us etc and be a part of that. It was, afterall, OUR child, not only hers.

We don't segregate Christmas gift-opening into men's & women's do we? Why must the celebration and gift-opening for a couple's first child be treated differently, as if it is only the wife who is having a child?

Have fun with that breast pump....I assume you're lactating.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, technically...
    Purple being implied?

Birthing =/= having... although the women grows and births the child, you both (assuming a traditional couple/marriage relationship) are having a child. When somebody says, "Oh, do you know what sex you're having?" I don't correct them and say, "I'm not having a baby, but my wife is having a boy", I simply say, "we're having a boy!"

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Purple being implied?

Birthing =/= having... although the women grows and births the child, you both (assuming a traditional couple/marriage relationship) are having a child. When somebody says, "Oh, do you know what sex you're having?" I don't correct them and say, "I'm not having a baby, but my wife is having a boy", I simply say, "we're having a boy!"

About 90-99% of everything I post has some tint of purple implied. :):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Have fun with that breast pump....I assume you're lactating.

Insurance provides those for free now (thanks to ACA)so we didn't ask for, nor receive any of that sort of thing ... really, I don't get the angst in sharing in the experience of opening gifts from your own relatives just because the occasion upon which they're being given revolves around having a baby.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    .....I was called sexist for refusing to go to one of these unisex baby showers.

Whoever came up with the idea of forcing men (emphasis on the word "men." There aren't many these days) to go to a baby shower should be tarred and feathered.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Hey, if we have to go be miserable at baby showers, then you guys should, too! :laugh:

The couples showers I've gone to were more like family get-togethers, beer and wine included. Although, what a bummer to be the mother-to-be, and see everyone drinking when you can't!

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I don't know.

My only job regarding the baby shower(s) was: "get the stuff home"

i was fine with that.

That was my job for our kids as well...more like unpack the car.

After listening to what my wife says is typically discussed as baby showers(birthing, breast feeding, female body stuff etc., I don't think its the same kind of thing as Christmas.

In before leadeye....

Follow the money....

Yep, I forgot to follow the money.

.....I was called sexist for refusing to go to one of these unisex baby showers.

Whoever came up with the idea of forcing men (emphasis on the word "men." There aren't many these days) to go to a baby shower should be tarred and feathered.

My thoughts exactly.

Hey, if we have to go be miserable at baby showers, then you guys should, too! :laugh:

The couples showers I've gone to were more like family get-togethers, beer and wine included. Although, what a bummer to be the mother-to-be, and see everyone drinking when you can't!

Its good to be a guy, we have it easier most of the time. There are lots of things guys don't have to deal with...Baby showers should be one of them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To the OP: you have my condolences. :(

There are just some things that are not to be mixed sex events.

Let me just say this: any man that says, "We're pregnant!" is getting a kick to stones from me. Women saying such things will be given the most icy stare I can muster.

[video=youtube;SFHWl-ZyRAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHWl-ZyRAg[/video]

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    qro2mraudhzwraeu0qlf.jpg

Top Bottom