• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Well... after they kick in the door, just invite them to have a few, let them know next time you have a party to just cruise buy for a cold one! ( This is in a very light shade of purple) I've about had it with the reports of drunk LEO's here lately. :(

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I see it an yet another example of trying to take away officer discretion in favor of some hard and fast "zero tolerance" rule. Zero tolerance means zero thought. Noise complaints come in all shapes and sizes. Is this a couple of guys at home on Saturday night with their video game turned up too loud or is it a party with 500 people trying to cram into a two bedroom apartment on a Tuesday morning? A knock on the door, good common sense and a conversation will solve 99.9% of all of this type of situations without booting any doors down or writing any citations. For the small minority of truly out of control situations there are plenty of other laws on the books already that can be used to reign in the situation.

Eddie's dead on.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Underage drinkers around college campuses are low hanging fruit that produce plenty of revenue. I've had buddies that were popped for underage possession and the list of fines, fees, and "classes" is absurd. You come out thousands of dollars lighter and with little or less respect for the system. Swing by IU or Purdue during the Little 500 or the Grand Prix and check out the "temporary courts" set up to process people through the system and get their money.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    The 4th amendments lets police use PROBABLE CAUSE to perform searches. If they see drunken kids in a house, they have PROBABLE CAUSE to come in and arrest them. Dont like the law, DONT BREAK IT.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The 4th amendments lets police use PROBABLE CAUSE to perform searches. If they see drunken kids in a house, they have PROBABLE CAUSE to come in and arrest them. Dont like the law, DONT BREAK IT.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." - 4th Amendment

What about the warrant part?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm thinking I need to visit Dredd's beat. I'm sure I'd stand a much greater chance of winning the lottery with him than I would buying a lottery ticket.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    How do they KNOW that they are drunk? and how do they KNOW that they are under 21 yrs old. I guess if they just suspect that they are drunk,and underage. it's ok? wow. this world really is going to Hell in a hand basket.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Considering the restrictions placed on government and the very few enumerated powers given to government, I can't fathom the Founding Fathers granting government the ability to infringe upon my right to privacy and property based on "probable cause", hence the need for a VERY SPECIFIC warrant granted upon Oath or affirmation. If you are a cop Dredd, your avatar is eerily revealing of your persona - judge, jury, executioner?

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Underage drinking party eh? While I was in patrol we use to have lots of fun with these calls.

Option 1

1. send (2) two policeman to the front door to knock and announce.

2. Laugh your rump off as you hear a human stampede.

3. have the rest of the officers in back of the house with a large net at the ready .... :D!

4. separate the drinkers from the non-drinking teens.

5. non-drinkers are told to go home .... drinking teens get parents called to pick them up at the home.

In most cases, we haven't/don't charge anyone with underage drinking. Of course you get the one cool guy, loud mouth, who ends up trying on braclets because he showed off in front of his friends.

Option 2 (for the nobody is at home response)

1. House parties usually have LOTS of cars parked along the roadway blocking private driveways, cars parked partially in the roadway, etc.

2. Summon a tow truck (only 1 required) to the scene. Announce that all the vehicles are being impounded .... the mass of underage drinkers suddenly emerge :):

NO BULL---- LAW REQUIRED!

Case closed ..... no doors kicked in ..... no rights violated!

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    How do they KNOW that they are drunk? and how do they KNOW that they are under 21 yrs old. I guess if they just suspect that they are drunk,and underage. it's ok? wow. this world really is going to Hell in a hand basket.

Nothing is certain in law enforcemant. All we can go on is the evidence that we have. If the inhabitants are probably drunk that should be good enough if you live in Santa Barbra. But I don't live in Kali, thank the good lord! :twocents:

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Nothing is certain in law enforcemant.

False. There's that "EVIDENCE" thingy. You know, "Officer A witnessed Suspect Z commit crime. Oh, and it's "enforcement", not "enforcemant" :rolleyes:

All we can go on is the evidence that we have. If the inhabitants are probably [snip]

"Evidence" is proof. "Probably" is not. It is nothing. Let me give you an example: The fact that you're willing to use them in the same sentence is probably a good indication that you are a 15 year old holster sniffer, NOT a police officer, but it is NOT evidence. See how that works now?

But I don't live in Kali.... :twocents:

That's a shame. I for one wish you did.

ReSS

Top Bottom