• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Not to be a person to put a "DOA" thought on this idea, by doing this, it puts Fenway and INGO in the legal explosion if a 1500 attendee happens to blow off his pinky or or have discharge in a manner that would ricochet off it and hit someone.

INGO does not have to have liability insurance since it's a internet forum.

World Class Gunshows on the other hand more than likely has to have a huge liability policy in place that is required by the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Besides it's the organizer that requires no loaded firearms, so it should fall fully upon the shoulders of them for providing a safe area to unload and load when entering and exiting the show.

Again, ditto.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I didn't mean to associate INGO directly with it. But since I'm typing to INGO folk, I said that term. I didn't mean to imply INGO as a group do it officially. I'm not participating in it either way because at the end of the day, I don't think it matters.

No one is responsible for my safety besides me.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I heard about the ND last night. I was like "dammit people, everyones watching!" I also need to quit watching WTHR, they were sure to detail ALL of the NDs that happened this weekend.

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    To take this a step further, I'd like to see the Indiana legislature make it a misdemeanor to be in possession of a loaded firearm inside a gun show. No, this wouldn't have prevented what happened today but it is nonetheless needed.

...Because what we need to make us safer is more laws? The building is posted; if they see you are carrying a loaded gun, ask you leave and you refuse, it is trespassing, which I'm pretty sure is a _______________ in Indiana law. Fill in the blank. (Hint: misdemeanor)

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    I'll be loathed (more than usual) for this, but how much do plastic barrels and sand even cost? Can't ...persons unknown... just, er, "donate" a sand barrel on a kind of guerrilla basis? Show up in a pickup truck with a barrel and bags of sand, kick it out, fill it up and drive away?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't see what's so great about the 1500. I've been and wasn't impressed. You have to stand in line forever then pay to get in and look at overpriced goods. Not to mention all the idiots walking around inside. The thing is so crowded it's just a recipe for disaster. I didn't see anything I couldn't get locally or online cheaper. My time and sanity is worth alot to me so I'll just shop Bradis and the INGO classifieds. :twocents:

The great part is that you get to see and feel things you're interested in before you buy. Ever ordered something online and then weren't real happy? That's the real benefit of the show.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Speaking about the leagal ramifications, I'm surprised that no one pointed out they have a big ass orange sight right by the door that says "unload here". I agree a safe place should be provided. But, I also know if you provide clearing barrels, some dickhead will test it out on purpose.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    You've made the point: handling of loaded firearms is dangerous. We agree there.

As a matter of safety, most gun owners I know who actually carry follow the guideline that the weapon stays holstered unless it is time to use it. It is the same reason we often complain about LEOs asking us to unholster during an encounter with them.

Every time you manipulate a loaded weapon, you increase the odds drastically for a negligent discharge as compared to the odds of it if it stays holstered. So, having a rule that requires every person who carries to manipulate their weapon clearly increases the odds of a negligent discharge.

Again, we agree that we do not want people messing with their loaded weapons. You seem to say that requiring them to handle a loaded weapon in order to unload it is safer than not requiring them to do the very thing we don't want them to do.

If one of the arguments made between the two of us is BS, I assure you, it isn't mine.

I'm simply trying to say that not allowing unloaded weapons inside the venue, reduces the odds of a more serious injury if a ND were to occur. If they openly allowed loaded weapons inside, imagine all the idiots who do NOT follow the rule of keeping a loaded firearm holstered at all times. There are a lot of idiots who own guns, unfortunately. I believe allowing loaded firearms inside the show would result in more frequent stories like this one, but with more devastating results. No matter what rules might change, I believe there is no way to completely stop the possibility of a ND. If they allowed people to carry loaded weapons in (which is the only answer that would not require them to handling their loaded gun to unload it), like you said, most gun owners would leave it safely tucked away in the holster. However, in a crowd that size, it is safe to say that not everyone will. I just think that allowing loaded guns inside would produce worse results, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I wish I was.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Speaking about the leagal ramifications, I'm surprised that no one pointed out they have a big ass orange sight right by the door that says "unload here". I agree a safe place should be provided. But, I also know if you provide clearing barrels, some dickhead will test it out on purpose.

I can envision that happening. But aforementioned d-head would be getting a summons and hefty fine, too. Maybe even lose his ltch.

The damage would be done in the reputation of the show, but not as badly as a wounding.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I can envision that happening. But aforementioned d-head would be getting a summons and hefty fine, too. Maybe even lose his ltch.

The damage would be done in the reputation of the show, but not as badly as a wounding.

But if it's there for accidental purposes, how would they prove it wasn't an accident. Theory of the "don't touch" sign.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The show in NC where a shotgun went off will go on tomorrow with an exception.... Private sales will not be allowed. I can see this happening here in Indy.

The last few discharges here were people loading.... And this guy did it in his car. Can't see them doing anything... For the others then yes.

Guy before this guy did not hurt anyone if I remember right... People will not start wanting action untill others start getting shot.

The guy yesterday I am sure was trying to holster the weapon and used two hands on the gun to guide it in and somehow the trigger was pulled...

Do I think the 1500 will end any time soon? No way and to say so just feeds the panic.

The people that go to the shows know the risks...

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I heard about the ND last night. I was like "dammit people, everyones watching!" I also need to quit watching WTHR, they were sure to detail ALL of the NDs that happened this weekend.

Surprisingly they also have as much air time to the pro 2a rally... I think the stories were pretty fair for NBC standards.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If you review the posts in this thread, you can't help but see the problem. We are indeed our own worst enemy.....

You got that right. Some :rolleyes: people who are supposedly pro-freedom/liberty are admitting that a law wouldn't have prevented this but want it anyway.

indytiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Last show no, could the rules be tightened up yes.

No good deals, BS. Picked up a case of 9mm hollow points for same price as the internet. (That part of my order was canceled no stock)
    Clips less than the manufacture web site, (mind you also found them 20% higher 3 rows over.)

Big

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Boone County
    I think what he is trying to say is that the environment has changed drastically since then. We are out of chances. We have no more margin for error. Idiots like the one today at the 1500 are what is going to cost all of us things like gun shows. It's gotta stop. Somehow, someway, we, the gun community, must figure out how we are going to police our own. If we don't, and soon, the libs will surely do it for us.....

I very much agree. People like stay at home mom Shannon Watts from Zionsville who started 'one mil moms for gun c0ntrol' prey on these things! They have nothing better to do all day except make the world their own problem that needs solving and they are the answer.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Community: Accidental Discharge at Gun and Knife Show Slightly Injures One
    This is the official ISP page put out this last weekend:

Accidental Discharge at Gun and Knife Show Slightly Injures One

Indianapolis, IN- This afternoon at approximately 4:15 p.m., Indiana State Police responded to the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife show being held at the South Pavilion of the State Fairgrounds to the report of an accidental shooting.

The investigation revealed that a patron of the event, Emory L. Cozee, 54, of Indianapolis, had walked out the east entrance of the South Pavilion building and was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic when he shot himself in the hand.

Cozee was transported to Wishard Hospital for treatment.

The investigation determined the shooting to be accidental and no charges will be filed.

-30-
    MYERS

All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law
    Register with Nixle.com to receive news releases and other information from the Indiana State Police
    Follow ISP on Twitter and get breaking news from ISP as it’s sent to media: https://twitter.com/Indstatepolice
    For updates about ISP activities ‘friend’ our Face book site at: Indiana State Police Public-Information-Office. Contact Information:
    Rich Myers
    PIO
    317-899-8577
    rmyers@isp.in.gov

Top Bottom