Could SCOTUS ring in a death nell for the ATF and other interpretive agencies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Could it finally spell out the end of Chevron deference on these grounds. A ruling striking down overly broad grant of power to federal agencies is long overdue.

"Article I of the Constitution explicitly directs that “All legislative Power herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States,” not regulatory agencies."

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Those two cases have been mentioned elsewhere as likely ending Chevron Deference. However, expecting it to completely and dramatically upend ATF rulemaking past and present would be wishful thinking. It's going to take chipping away at the rules one brick at a time with repeated court cases, challenging individual ATF rules, and each one will take five to six years to wend its way through the court systems. Now consider SCOTUS six years from now probably won't look like it does today, and there are several circuits, the ninth and fourth in particular, that are trying desperately to run out the clock on some of the older SCOTUS justices, in hopes they'll be replaced by more Kagan's and Ketanji Brown Jackson's -- which would completely reverse Heller, McDonald and Bruen if the likes of them forms a court majority.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I keep dreaming that in my lifetime I would see AT and unconstitutional F stripped of their regulatory powers, and all rules/regulations/laws penned by them declared null and void. I wish they would hurry up as I am slowly nearing the end of life as we know it.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I keep dreaming that in my lifetime I would see AT and unconstitutional F stripped of their regulatory powers, and all rules/regulations/laws penned by them declared null and void. I wish they would hurry up as I am slowly nearing the end of life as we know it.
    Maybe, but you’ll still be able to vote Democrat…………

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Braden Langley (Langley Outdoors Academy) did three YouTube videos on the oral arguments . . .
    You have to wade your way through his ad at the beginning. The entire oral arguments were over three hours.

Justice Gorsuch - pressing the Gov't Solicitor General Dweeb on Chevron Deference always siding with the Federal Government against the individual:

More Justice Gorsuch on judges abdicating making decisions and issuing judgements to Government Agencies, and Agencies flip-flopping depending on who is running the agency - I believe the dude is representing one of the plaintiffs:

Justice Kavanaugh - agencies transform law into agency (and executive) policy that depends on who is in office - and the judiciary too often citing Chevron to allow it:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Braden Langley & Tim Harmsen (Second Legacy) give their take on the oral arguments with some Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch clips:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    If agencies can't fill in gaps, then ATF loses its power to make up stuff because it's in the mood to do so. :woot:

Top Bottom