• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In the very long run, I believe reloading will save money. But for immediate cost effectiveness it is not practical. Reloading is a fun hobby, but good equipment is very expensive. Start up will cost you a lot of "cash on the barrel head".

That's why I started out with a single stage press. I picked up everything for around $289 not including primers, etc. As I go along and have the money and space I will upgrade. You do not need to drop big money at first to make quality loads.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Reloading is definitely a money saver. I can do .380 for a bit under $5 per 50 and 9mm for around $6 to $7 a box. Another benefit was when .380 was impossible to find, I was able to load and shoot as much as I wanted at a fraction of the cost when you could find it. I now load .45, 9mm, .380, 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser and .223. The benefits of each caliber differ, but all are less expensive than commercial.

Aside from the cost savings, there is a lot of satisfaction in finding a load that works well with a particular rifle or pistol. I'm in the process of trying different powders and loads to see what works best in my short barreled 1911. A lot of folks are reluctant to hand load their SD ammo because of a fear of being labeled negatively if they ever get into a shooting, but my belief is that if hand loading lets you practice with your carry load more, it reduces the chance of hitting an innocent bystander. I would much rather answer to shooting an attacker with my own ammo than answer to shooting a bystander with ammo that I was unfamiliar with because I could only afford to fire a handful of rounds in practice. Hand loading gives you the option of developing a good, accurate round for SD, then practicing 4 times as much for the same money.

There's lots of win in reloading.

I have been reloading for over half a decade and have only now just started reloading my SD ammo. My reason for this has nothing to do with the accuracy of a load or me worried about penetration and hitting a bystander and/or anything like that. I can control all of that with my loads. Its more of the fact that I didn't feel as though I was practiced enough that if I did get involved in a situation where I draw and fire, that that prosecutor wouldn't chew me up and spit me out for using "over pressured loads" that were guaranteed lethal, and pushed beyond immediate "stopping" the threat into the bounds of "terminating" because of my "inexperience" at the reloading bench. Just something to think about.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have reloaded 150 rounds of JHP ammo, and test fired 50 rounds. I put it in my SHTF stash though because I have plenty of factory loaded SD ammo.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Insurance??

I have been reloading for over half a decade and have only now just started reloading my SD ammo. My reason for this has nothing to do with the accuracy of a load or me worried about penetration and hitting a bystander and/or anything like that. I can control all of that with my loads. Its more of the fact that I didn't feel as though I was practiced enough that if I did get involved in a situation where I draw and fire, that that prosecutor wouldn't chew me up and spit me out for using "over pressured loads" that were guaranteed lethal, and pushed beyond immediate "stopping" the threat into the bounds of "terminating" because of my "inexperience" at the reloading bench. Just something to think about.

This topic has been a subject of great debate. Kind of like Ford vs Chevy..
    I, like you, Stines, have a "Few" hours under my belt at a load bench-for ME-just short of FOUR Decades. I trust all of my hand loads to do everything that they were designed to do. Some loads are for best grouping=target---some loads are for complete destruction of what they come in contact with. Some loads with a mixture of both==Hunting Loads.

With this in mind: I shoot the snot out of my carry weapons with my hand loads-a lot of the loads up to Factory Loaded Ammo. This gives me the "Duplication Factor" of how factory loads will perform in my weapons.
    Example: I load up .40 S&W Hornady XTP bullets to duplicate the Hornady Factory loaded ammo. I load up Speer Gold Dot bullets up to the performance of Speer Gold Dot Factory loaded ammo.
    When I go about my business during the course of a day/night, I will have my three magazines of my G-22 charged with Hornady Factory Loads, or Speer Gold Dot Factory Loads.
    Yes, it DOES pucker my butt to spend + $1.00 per round to buy this ammo, but for $45.00 to $50.00 for 46 rounds, I feel that this is still cheap insurance to what MAY cross my path?
    Compare this cost to the average cost per hour of a good Lawyer as to WHY I needed to carry some "Hot Shot" reloaded ammo, in defense of my life, and I think that you will agree with me??
    Again--JUST--2 cents worth from billybob44........

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I have often been asked "How much money will I save by loading my own Ammo?" to which I reply, "you will save no money reloading your own ammo, But you will shoot a lot more for the same amount of money." So, if I have $40 to spend on ammo, I can buy one 50 rnd box of 44M or I can shoot 250 rnds of the ammo I reloaded. And I enjoy reloading, messing with different components in search of the perfect load for each gun. And it gives me something to do when it's too nasty outside to go shootin'. And it keeps me out of trouble...Got Ammo to load. No time to party and chase the women!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have reloaded for awhile now. I save no money. CAN you save money? Sure, until the addiction hits!

I have bought a bunch of stuff used. I now use Dillon, almost exclusively, except for my Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. I use it as a single stage and it is a good entry level press.

Here is the truth. You have just so much expendable income. You are going to spend that much. If you buy reloading equipment, you can make each round much, much cheaper than buying loaded factory ammo. The problem will come when you look in your wallet and still see a buck or two. Since it is disposable, you will dispose of it. If you are a reloader, guess where that money will go? Right, reloading stuff. Maybe components, maybe new equipment.

The really cool thing about it though, you will shoot, much, much more. If you have good skills, you will get better and have fun.

If you shoot in competition, there will be no way to keep up with the demand of practice and competing with a single stage only. Not unless you want to spend endless hours reloading. I would rather spend my time shooting! ;)

Lee Classic Turret
    Dillon Square Deal B (3 of them, 2 given to children)
    Dillon RL450B (ebay)
    Dillon XL650 (Bought one new, the other off of ebay)

The thing to do is this though, get started now. Don't wait another day. It isn't going to get easier or cheaper to get started. You must start now. Go to the level you are comfortable with or have money for, but get started now. We have no idea how long we will be able to buy what we need to do our reloading. If you have the equipment already, you will be better off.

FWIW

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Got it

Hi Folks,
    OK, I think I see the light! Reloading is moving to the top of my list. I agree with all of you. So many aspects of this sport/hobby/passion.
    Regards to the Forum

:thumbsup:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I don't teach classes in reloading, but if you'd like to drive to Grant County, you can load some 30-30, and .357 mag (or others) to take home with you, and at least gain some exposure to the process.

Top Bottom