• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    MILLTOWN, Ind. (AP) - A coroner says that a 2-year-old girl accidentally shot herself to death at her southern Indiana home.

Crawford County Deputy Coroner Jerry Brown ruled Tuesday that Alexis B. Camp died from an accidental self inflicted gun shot wound to the head.

Investigators say the semiautomatic handgun was left where the girl could reach it.

State police say officers were called Monday evening to a home near the Crawford County community of Milltown, about 30 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky., on a report of a shooting.

When officers arrived, they found Alexis dead of an apparent gunshot wound.

Investigators will give the results of their investigation to the Crawford County prosecutor's office for review.

This won't be good

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I would be interested in knowing what type of gun it was because my daughter can't even pull the trigger on some air soft guns.... She's 10... You guys know that the trigger pull is like on some guns.. and this girl was only 2.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would be interested in knowing what type of gun it was because my daughter can't even pull the trigger on some air soft guns.... She's 10... You guys know that the trigger pull is like on some guns.. and this girl was only 2.

won't matter much what it was really, it will be used as a case against. Might have been a little P22 with a feather trigger for what it matters.

It is a good case regarding leaving firearms accessible to children. Personally I think this is going to fuel the anti's fire....

Prayers for the family and friends on their loss of a loved one....

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    fuel or not, this is a terrible mistake by some adult, that should have known better. Mistakes can happen, unfortunately there aren't 2nd chances in these cases.

Last edited:

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    backwards

kids will pickup a small gun backwards with their thumb/s on the trigger and their fingers around the back of the grip. that means its pointing at the child with their thumb on trigger

kup

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

kup has it.

These are usually head shots, spas.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    fuel or not, this is a terrible mistake by some adult, that should have known better. Mistakes can happen, unfortunately there aren't 2nd chances in these cases.

kids will pickup a small gun backwards with their thumb/s on the trigger and their fingers around the back of the grip. that means its pointing at the child with their thumb on trigger
    As a responsible adult with a child in the house it is your responsibility to instruct your children in the handling of firearms.

Agreed on all....

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    As a responsible adult with a child in the house it is your responsibility to instruct your children in the handling of firearms.
    I think this is what a lot of gun owners fail to realize.
    Education is key. They are never to young to start learning.
    At least once a week I go over the do's and dont's with my 4 and 3 years olds regarding firearms. Every now and then I will place an unloaded pistol somewhere in the house where they will find it and monitor their response. So far they have done what they should every time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Responsible adult in this case was a deputy sheriff. According to the TV news story they were looking into the possibility that it was his service pistol. Sad, really sad.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Training is everything. I can not remember how young I was when my training in arms began. My nephew just turned 4 and can tell you he can not touch any guns until he is as tall as Uncle Jeremy's rifle. My sister is not anti-gun, she just has no time for them, so the boy is not around them except when he is at my house. And yet he knows the rules.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What a tragedy. :(

I have a two year old... he'll be three next month... he's seen enough of what his brothers do to know exactly what to do with a gun. I had to start "Eddie Eagle" at 2-1/2 years with him.

He could easily pull the trigger on most semi-autos and has been able to for a while... he just uses two fingers if he has to...

I know, I've seen him do it with a nerf gun... and with Colibris our of his brothers' .22 (yes I was there holding the gun).

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well, I guess if it was a sheriff deputy's gun, maybe they won't be so hard on LTCH citizens?

But if a professional can have such a lapse in judgment, think how scary it is when the gun is owned by an amateur!!!

That's how it'll be spun, mark my words.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If I have more training than the LEO then exactly which of us is the amateur? :D

You'll get no argument from me, given what I've seen of some LEO's gun handling skills. But for the sake of playing devil's advocate...

"How can you possibly compare the things you do at your little fantasy camps to the rigorous daily training that happens at a police academy?"

or one of my favorite little blow-off moves they like to do:

"Well, you're the exception. It's all the other nutjob gun owners with no training that I'm worried about."

...followed by the "clincher":

"If it saves just one child's life, it's worth it!!!111one"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom