• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    There are a lot of much smarter people out there than I will ever be, but this tells me nothing. It states "in susceptible individuals". Have you ever heard a television commercial and it mentions possible side effects? All drugs can have adverse reactions in individuals. There are medications people take that make it necessary for them to take an additional medication to combact side effects of the other.

We have nothing to lose and everythign to gain. Asprin can be life threratening to some people. Peanut butter kills some people!

Quinine is pretty harsh. I have a friend who caught one of the species of malaria that basically only responds to quinine, so that was his treatment. He had some pretty nasty side effects, and I personally would count those as "something to lose."

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    At the site are links to the study. But here is a link and some of it quoted.We are not talking one in 1000 more like 600 out of 1000.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918116/
    [FONT=&quot]In a final published study of 31 previously healthy Army Medical Department officers who volunteered to take the drug experimentally at treatment doses [[/FONT]152[FONT=&quot]], 77 % suffered some form of mental disturbances: 71 % complained of abnormal, anxious and disturbing and rarely terrifying dreams; 58 % developed sleep disturbances, with loss of up to half of normal sleep, prompting sedative use to treat insomnia in two-fifths of these, or 26 % of the total; 39 % went on to develop severe psychic disturbances, of which a quarter, of 10 % of the total, suffered frank psychoses with delusions, hallucinations, and profound changes in mood, including mania; 35 % complained of tension; 32 % complained of restlessness, and 29 % depression. During an earlier phase of the trial when the drug had been administered at lower prophylactic dose rates, 29 % had noted mild complaints, most significantly abnormal dreams and sleep disturbances, which were deemed “the most reliable warning sign” of the development of “more severe reactions” [/FONT]

Sounds like the side effects of most antidepressants out there

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We are on restricted travel not a total lockdown.

What I was told was stay in your homes for 2 weeks. Supposed to start in 2 days but I can not find anything to verify. Not wanting to spread rumors or panic. I just looking for reliable info.

What I am hearing from unverified rumors is an extension of the status quo. My one source made no mention of ramping up the resources necessary to enforce anything more restrictive.

The original Governor's Order choosing which businesses succeed and which ones fail ends April 6th (?).

So with the White House comment this weekend that we should continue Social Distancing until April 30th does that mean the Indiana Governor will extend his travel restrictions and shelter in place order? Or will we be released from Double Secret Probation and allowed to open our businesses while they still have a breath of life, if we can modify for the magic 6 foot clearances?

Heard two second hand rumors that it would be extended. One from a somewhat knowledgeable source and one from a sketchy source. Anyone have the secret scoop?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Dang. That’d make 4 weeks off work. We’re aerospace so technically “essential” but our owner said she’s not risking it, stay home for 2 weeks. She said she’ll pay us for the 2 weeks but any further lockdowns will be at a loss. On one hand I think to prevent the spread it’s probably not a bad thing. On the other hand, I like money. We shall see
    She needs to call her banker and get some free government money from the SBA Payroll Protection Program which loans a business money and the loan is forgiven if you keep employees on the payroll getting paid.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    She needs to call her banker and get some free government money from the SBA Payroll Protection Program which loans a business money and the loan is forgiven if you keep employees on the payroll getting paid.

All true. We applied for one of the loans yesterday. There is another dropping on Friday.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    At the site are links to the study. But here is a link and some of it quoted.We are not talking one in 1000 more like 600 out of 1000.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4918116/
    [FONT=&amp]In a final published study of 31 previously healthy Army Medical Department officers who volunteered to take the drug experimentally at treatment doses [[/FONT]152[FONT=&amp]], 77 % suffered some form of mental disturbances: 71 % complained of abnormal, anxious and disturbing and rarely terrifying dreams; 58 % developed sleep disturbances, with loss of up to half of normal sleep, prompting sedative use to treat insomnia in two-fifths of these, or 26 % of the total; 39 % went on to develop severe psychic disturbances, of which a quarter, of 10 % of the total, suffered frank psychoses with delusions, hallucinations, and profound changes in mood, including mania; 35 % complained of tension; 32 % complained of restlessness, and 29 % depression. During an earlier phase of the trial when the drug had been administered at lower prophylactic dose rates, 29 % had noted mild complaints, most significantly abnormal dreams and sleep disturbances, which were deemed “the most reliable warning sign” of the development of “more severe reactions” [/FONT]

I think data, studies and trials are great. I also think indidivuals who gather data and interpret data are remarkable, to say the least. They are able to see things differently, in a very basic way, like an accountant. I further believe that with that amazing ability to see things and interpet things, as much as it is good, it can be very limiting. At times people become obsessed with the numbers and where it is taking them. What does our model say today, what about 6 months from now.....their entire being becomes the data model and they lose focus on the purpose because they are obsessed with the process. We are talking human beings here. They are not numbers, they are people. The data gathering and interpretation should be people driven. If something appears to work, even in a small percentage, grow that area of investigation. Continue the data gathering but not at the expense of a human life; it's not your place to determine that. Many drugs cause severe reactions. Family member recenty had 2 stents pout in and then placed on blood thinners. Had a reaction to the drug and was told the benefits outweigh the side effects! How true is that!

We cannot allow our hands to be tied and wait for the data collectors to fill their model till they feel comfortable before we can do "whatever we can" to save a life. The American way has been one of many reasons we fall behind other countries with the release of newer drugs. Our hands get tied because of data gathering. We need to learn to do both. I need you to relax your data driven drive and you need me to relax my people driven drive. In other words, there is absolutely NO REASON both can exist and supportive of each other. You gather the data and interpret the models while I give drugs, that may have side effects, to a dying person. In time, we can truly compliment each other.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just an FYI it is not just cruise ships. Here in Two Harbors we have a taconite ship in port with 130 on board(large raw iron form ship) with 3 positives on board. They are asking to disembark and stay in area hotels.

It is a bad idea considering the local hospital does not even have a ventilator,not one.The local population is only 1900 or so. 130 with who knows how many infected is a bad idea. They where already told no by Duluth as well.

Good solutions are tough to come by.

130?
    That doesn't sound right for a crew.
    Merchant ships usually have small crews, to keep the costs down.
    I don't know the ship, but I'd have a hard time imagining a crew over 20. Maybe 30 tops.
    Unless they had families on board and were trying to move the families to a less inhabited area.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Simply my opinion on a strict stay-at-home order, but the logistics are near impossible. Short of snatching up every person who is out without cause and putting them in a concentration camp, there are no teeth. Local PDs are starting to be hard hit with quarantines of LEOs, so I cannot believe they’d risk more exposures to enforce anything to any degree. The only arrests you’re seeing under the current orders are add-on charges to other crimes. We just have to hope people do the right thing.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    We haven't even hit the halftime show and people are thinking the game is over? Now hunker down and watch the rest of the game or change the channel.

You're choice.

As long as the CHEATER PATRIOTS are not playing it should be a good game. :p

Oh man, that's harsh. And right after the Brady hate crime of leaving on St. Patrick's Day. (Hopefully we get to see a season this year!)

I heard they're banning liquor sales tomorrow.

Spoiler alert... They're not.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

The country, state or Indy?

Not verifying what I was told. Hope it was just a rumor.

I hear there will be rumors of rumors and all kinds of weird rules coming out tomorrow. Hell. I'll bet some hit at midnite...:D

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    130?
    That doesn't sound right for a crew.
    Merchant ships usually have small crews, to keep the costs down.
    I don't know the ship, but I'd have a hard time imagining a crew over 20. Maybe 30 tops.
    Unless they had families on board and were trying to move the families to a less inhabited area.

Edwin H. Gott Largest ore ship left on the great lakes. It is here,waiting for permission to let the crew off.

https://www.myshiptracking.com/vessels/edwin-h-gott-mmsi-366971370-imo-7606061 It arrived today.It is not at the dock,as they are not sure what to do with it.I may go down in the morning and take a picture of it,you can see it from the bay.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    EUYkI9gX0AI4kUp

EUYkO_FXgAArfRX

actaeon277

Grandmaster