• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Flying for the first time with a pistol. I’ve read a lot about it but I’ve gotten some conflicting information. Y’all who have flown with pistols, please confirm that this set up is TSA compliant.

Pistol unloaded. Two mags unloaded. 40 rounds of ammo in factory cases.

and yes the case locks with master locks with keys.

Attachments

• 638A208C-6E7C-4577-B7EA-1C85ED66A63B.jpeg
      638A208C-6E7C-4577-B7EA-1C85ED66A63B.jpeg
      3.2 MB · Views: 84

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A hard cased gun case with none TSA locks. No need to unload magazines, just unload the pistol. Declare the weapon at the ticket counter.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Looks good to me, albeit a pretty tight fit. Here are some tips...
    • Put your locked pistol case inside your checked bag. Although this isn't a requirement, it tends to keep honest people honest and protects your firearm/ammo to some degree. If you do go this route, put the firearm case on top of clothes so that it's easy to access during your check-in process.
    • Put a set of fingernail clippers (bigger, toenail clippers are even better) on your person or carry-on. You will use these clippers to cut the zip-ties that some airports/TSA apply around your firearm case or luggage (which contains the firearm case). Once you retrieve your bag at your destination, you will be able to cut the zip-ties immediately (or at your leisure) with your fingernail clippers. Otherwise, you'll be searching for something sharp to open your case/bag.
    Safe travels!

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    You’re good. I generally use a barrel flag but it isn’t required. Get there a little early because the process for checking firearms isn’t uniform across all airports. I’ve had some check it at baggage claim and others that have made me follow security halfway across the airport to check it in private. Don’t be surprised if they make a spectacle of it. I once had a TSA employee redirect everyone in line to another attendant and then hold an Arsenal AK up for everyone to see.

Oh, and one last (but vital) pointer; DO NOT forget it’s in your suitcase if you have to change your flight plan. The last thing you want is to get redirected to somewhere like NYC and get stuck for the night. Seems like common sense but it happens and people have been arrested for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No need to unload magazines, just unload the pistol. Declare the weapon at the ticket counter.

Airline dependent. American Airlines, for example, will not check in loaded magazines:

Ammunition must be:

In the original packaging from the manufacturer or in packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition (made of fiber, wood or metal), with a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kgs) per container or customer. Ammunition is not accepted loose or in magazines or clips.

Southwest Airlines, on the other hand, allows loaded magazines as long as they are "secure":

• Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hey Man, I cannot figure it out for the life of me how to send you a message. But I'd like to purchase your xcompact grip you have for sale if its still available.
    My apologies for posting in the wrong forum but I cannot figure this site out at all.
    Perhaps start by reading the site rules especially for the classifieds

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have only done this once and that was some years back.

Something suggested to me as an extra step that I did with my relatively expensive 1911. I used a couple of those safety locks that you get with factory guns. Threaded one through the barrel and another to lock the plastic pistol case.

The idea was that they see these when they xray your luggage and quickly decide not to mess with any further looking. Another thought is that your luggage might not be so quick to dissappear, if luggage handler thieves are slowed down by the locks.

It went smooth for me. I gunned up and loaded mags on the sidewalk in front of the Philly airport, with a crowd of people buzzing around me ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have only done this once and that was some years back.

Something suggested to me as an extra step that I did with my relatively expensive 1911. I used a couple of those safety locks that you get with factory guns. Threaded one through the barrel and another to lock the plastic pistol case.

The idea was that they see these when they xray your luggage and quickly decide not to mess with any further looking. Another thought is that your luggage might not be so quick to dissappear, if luggage handler thieves are slowed down by the locks.

It went smooth for me. I gunned up and loaded mags on the sidewalk in front of the Philly airport, with a crowd of people buzzing around me ;)

I always cable lock my "secure container" to the guts of the suitcase. It can be defeated with tools and time, or by breaking the suitcase, but it makes it a lot harder to just slip it out on the sly.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I've traveled with firearms fairly regularly for the past 5 years.

I personally use a small pelican case that will take a master lock, then place that case inside of my luggage (which will also accept a master lock). This keeps everyone honest and out of your luggage.

Also -- I recommend a chamber flag. While not required, I've found it seems to provide some amount of reassurance to anyone examining the firearm. And, while it may only be coincidence, I have experienced far fewer (zero) requests from security to open and inspect my bag / firearm.

Also -- keep your holster in your checked bag / case, NOT in your carry-on. I have seen them confiscate holsters on multiple occasions.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Question to make things smoother would a chamber safety flag be useful? That way they know the chamber is empty once it is scanned or whatever they do to check it. Or do they take your word for it?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It's been working for me for a decade now with multiple airlines. A cheap lunch bag cooler to put the stack on pistol lock box in. I use the cable and run it around the retractable handle inside the suitcase. I use the factory ammo box to store the ammo in. I've had two instances were TSA told me to pull the ammo case out of the lunch bag cooler because they said you can't store it in the same case, I just shrugged my shoulders and did it without arguing. Also I've been thanked a few times for having a chamber flag. My Phlster Floodlight holster fits on top of the pistol box inside the cooler too.

IMG_20210818_073913.jpg

IMG_20210319_143813.jpg

IMG_20210319_143742.jpg

Last edited:

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Oddly enough, the hardest time my wife and I ever had flying with a firearm was with Alaska Airlines. She was going to the great white north to spend a year there as a school counselor and so obviously she took her pistol with her. Sent her with 2 mags and 2 boxes of ammo. Had it packed up in a TSA case with TSA locks, got to the ticket counter and let them know there was a pistol in the luggage. The agent said to get the case out, and I thought maybe they just want to make sure that the case was good, so I did. She said to unlock it, and I got really confused. I asked her "Are you sure?" and she said yes. So I unlocked it but didn't open it. She said to open it...at which point I kind of freaked out a little. I said "You want me to open the case with the pistol in it," and she said yes. I had this mental image of police descending on me and the wife with alarms blaring, but I went ahead and opened it. She looked briefly, said "Ok" and I quickly closed it and locked it up. I was VERY uncomfortable with that!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oddly enough, the hardest time my wife and I ever had flying with a firearm was with Alaska Airlines. She was going to the great white north to spend a year there as a school counselor and so obviously she took her pistol with her. Sent her with 2 mags and 2 boxes of ammo. Had it packed up in a TSA case with TSA locks, got to the ticket counter and let them know there was a pistol in the luggage. The agent said to get the case out, and I thought maybe they just want to make sure that the case was good, so I did. She said to unlock it, and I got really confused. I asked her "Are you sure?" and she said yes. So I unlocked it but didn't open it. She said to open it...at which point I kind of freaked out a little. I said "You want me to open the case with the pistol in it," and she said yes. I had this mental image of police descending on me and the wife with alarms blaring, but I went ahead and opened it. She looked briefly, said "Ok" and I quickly closed it and locked it up. I was VERY uncomfortable with that!

I've always had the ticket counter person have me open it and verify it's unloaded (verbally, they didn't have me manipulate it, but I store them in such a manner it's immediately obvious it's not functional as is).

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I've always had the ticket counter person have me open it and verify it's unloaded (verbally, they didn't have me manipulate it, but I store them in such a manner it's immediately obvious it's not functional as is).
    I've only ever had this happen once and it was in Ft Wayne.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    A ticket agent, new at his job, proceeded to remove my Colt AR15 rifle from its case to inspect it. He held it at chest level and asked how to verify it was unloaded. You should have seen everyone duck for cover. His coworker was close by and handled the situation.

Top Bottom