• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Concealed IWB Holster Review – Remora Clip vs. Stealthgear Onyx

There are so many choices on the market these days for concealed carry inside-the-waistband (IWB) holsters, and just as many reviews. This made my choice for an IWB holster difficult and confusing. I wanted something that would reliably and safely conceal my firearm first and foremost, but I was also concerned about carrying comfort, especially in the hot and sticky Indiana summer months. Finally, and equally as important, I needed quick access to my firearm in an emergency with a reliable and repeatable draw.

After an extensive bit of study and after checking out as many options as I could in person at the local shops, I decided to order 2 holsters with different design philosophies so that I could really put them through their paces, test them in a real-world environment, and see how they work for my uses. Obviously, everyone is different, so what works for me may not necessarily work for everyone. I am of a medium build, about 5’10”, and weigh in at about 180lbs with a bit of a “mid-life belly extension”.

The two holsters that I chose to evaluate are the Remora Clip IWB holster, and the Stealthgear Onyx IWB Holster. Both of these holsters seemed to cover my requirements and were different enough in design that allowed me to compare some of the different features.

The Official Store of the Original Remora "No Clip" IWB Concealment Holster

StealthGearUSA The most comfortable holsters and best EDC gear ever.

OVERVIEW:

Remora Clip IWB:
    Remora holsters are known to be small and easy to handle. They have a sticky surface to them that allows them to cling to your body and your clothing, and most of them are clipless, so you just stick them inside of your waistband and go. I opted for a slightly different version of their holster, and with a design that includes a removable belt clip that keeps the holster from sliding down or around, and also secures it pretty well when drawing your pistol to prevent the holster from coming out with the gun in the middle of a life-and-death draw situation. The clip is removable which returns the holster to the more familiar Remora format and can also double as a pocket or car holster (more on that later). The addition of the clip to the holster added about $16.00 to the cost of the holster.

I addition to the clip, I added two more options to my Remora holster, the sweat guard (a $6.25 option) and the Plush Black holster lining (a $4.25 option) which provide for smoother, easier draws, and is a bit easier on the finish of the gun. The total cost of this holster in summer 2015 was just north of $53 plus shipping.

Here is what the holster looks like, both empty and with the gun loaded (in this case, my Sig Sauer P938):

You can see the sticky finish, and also see the clip that hooks over your belt. When looking at the rear side of the holster (below), you can see that it contains the sticky surface all across the back surface of the holster as well which helps keep it securely in place. Notice also the extended sweat guard that covers the back hammer area of the gun. This provides some comfort and keeps the hammer from grinding into your side, but also really does help reduce the sweat that gets generated between your body and the firearm. As a side note here, there is plenty of sweat that gets generated between your body and the holster however.

Stealthgear Onyx:
    Stealthgear IWB holsters resemble many of the current IWB Hybrid holsters available on the market, and employ a dual belt-clip design with a Kydex shell for the gun itself. Stealthgear holsters are made from what they call VentCore ® Technology, which is a breathable, flexible frame that contours to your body without a break-in period (so they claim). This VentCore material is soft and comfortable against your skin, and allows the heat and moisture to wick away from your body.

Each holster is designed to be used with only a single gun, unlike the Alien Gear holsters that allow you to use the same holster with multiple guns just by purchasing a new Kydex holder. The reason for this is that the entire back of the holster breaths, EXCEPT for the part that covers the back of the gun. There exists a hard moisture-proof rear cover that shields and protects the gun from moisture, and this barrier is custom-designed to fit each gun. For this reason, the holster is specifically-tailored to each gun, and is not designed to be used with different handguns by swapping out the Kydex shell. The total cost of this holster in summer 2015 was $99 plus shipping.

Here is what the holster looks like, again both empty and with my P938 loaded:

The height of the holster relative to your waistline and the cant of the pistol can be adjusted by raising or lowering the adjustable belt clips, and the capture pressure on the gun is adjustable by tightening or loosening the screws on the Kydex shell.

When you hold the holster up to the light, you can see that the light shines through the material and it is breathable everywhere except behind where the pistol sits. This is a really nice feature, and is one of the features that really sold me on this holster.

The back of the holster has a soft inner lining that is both breathable and comfortable. The entire holster conformed to my body instantly without the normal break-in period that other holsters require.

CONSTRUCTION:

Both holsters are extremely well built with double-stitched edges and great attention to detail. When looking closely at the Kydex holster mold on the Stealthgear holster, it is perfectly executed with smooth edges without even a hint of flashing.

The Remora was very solidly built as well, and gave me a high-level of confidence in its design. The top edge of the Remora where the gun is inserted and removed, has a reinforced edge or lip, which made re-holstering the firearm a breeze.

COMFORT:

Both holsters are very comfortable, but I have to give the nod to the Stealthgear Onyx here. In fact, I have to give the say that the difference in comfort level is significantly better with the Onyx. I suppose that is to be expected just due to the design and how the weight is more evenly distributed across the belt, and therefore your body. But it is more than just that.

The Onyx is just a pleasure to wear in every way. It is lightweight, flexible, and so smooth that at times, I forgot that I was wearing it. I tend to carry at about 4:30 or so, and even when riding in the car, I had no issues with the handle of the gun jabbing into my back. The clips secure it into place firmly, and I had no issues with the holster slipping or sliding around on my waist.

One of things I love about the Onyx compared to other hybrid IWB holsters is the VentCore technology. This is really a miracle fabric that allows the holster to fit comfortably right out of the box without a break-in period like a leather holster would require. I know I hear how long-time IWB holster owners talk about how their beautiful leather holsters have molded to their bodies over time, and that is great. I liked the fact that within 30 seconds of wearing the Onyx I could hardly tell it was there. The second huge benefit in my mind to the VentCore design over leather is the “breathability” of the fabric. Even when carrying in the hot and humid conditions that we had late this summer, I did not experience anywhere near the amount of sweat that one would normally find with a solid type of material like leather or plastic.

The Remora was also comfortable to wear to a point, but when using the optional clip, it seems to ride up too high for my personal taste, and the handle of the gun tends to jab into my side when sitting. I definitely had issues in the car when wearing the Remora, and had to remove the holster when driving for more than a few minutes.

The Remora also prevented the heat from escaping from my body during really hot and humid days. I would take the Remora off and it would be soaked with sweat on the body side of the holster. The optional sweat guard did its job well however protecting the gun from sweat for the most part. The sweat guard also added to the comfort level. I tested a “normal” Remora holster at my local gun shop with this gun, and the hammer would dig into my skin as I moved around. I could feel a huge difference with the comfort and gun protection that adding the sweat guard provided, and anyone looking to purchase a Remora holster should seriously consider adding this option.

The Stealthgear Onyx was easy to put on, and took about 30 seconds or less to go from zero to fully armed. I expected the Remora to be even easier still, but I was actually quite disappointed here due to the optional belt clip. Even though I still wholeheartedly recommend the belt clip, it was a total pain to get the holster in place on my belt. I found myself bend over, with my trousers around my ankles fighting with the belt clip to get it over my belt and into place. Once in place, the strong spring-loaded nature of the clip holds the Remora firmly in place and helps with a safe and confident draw. I just would not want my wife to walk in on me when putting this thing on. It is not a pretty sight! Unfortunately, it is equally as difficult to remove the thing at the end of the day. I have fought with this belt clip for long periods of time to get the holster both inserted and removed. I love the idea of the clip, but I am thinking that the design needs some work to make it easier to use.

SAFETY:

Both holsters held the gun firmly and securely. I felt comfortable and safe when carrying “cocked and locked” with either holster. Both holsters safely protected the trigger and held the gun firmly in place when carrying.

Although I did not like the fact that I could not adjust the Remora clip for body height or cant, it did a great job of holding the holster in place when performing a quick draw of the firearm, which is one of the common complaints I have heard about the standard Remora holster.

GUN ACCESS:

Both holsters provided quick access to the gun, and provided smooth draws at all times. I am not sure how much the upgraded interior material helped with the Remora, but all I can say is that it performed perfectly during my evaluation period. As I mentioned in the previous section, one of the negative comments on the Remora that I have seen in other reviews is that the holster will occasionally not release the gun, and extracts itself from your waistband along with gun, leaving you pointing a small plastic holster -covered weapon at the bad guy. I can say without hesitation that the belt clip held the Remora in place 100% of the time in every possible draw situation. I would definitely recommend the belt clip to anyone considering this holster, even though it has a somewhat limited adjustability (i.e. “none”), and is a pain to put on and take off.

Although both holsters drew well, I had a tougher time re-holstering my firearm with the Stealthgear Onyx than I did with the Remora. I am sure it will get easier over time, and I could probably spend a bit more time working on the grip strength adjustment. I had to really concentrate to re-holster my weapon on the Onyx, whereas the reinforced edge on the Remora made it relatively easier to replace the gun in its slot.

I do have to add here that I have the Stealthgear holster adjusted so that it sits lower on my belt, whereas the Remora does not have this adjustment option, so it is presenting the gun opening at a higher spot on my body. The Onyx’s opening is actually slightly below my belt level with the way that I have it currently adjusted. It does not affect access to the gun for drawing, but it does make re-holstering slightly more difficult.

As always, a proper belt makes a huge difference in way either of these holsters function.

VERSATILITY:

Without doubt, this is where the Remora really shines. The belt clip is removable on the Remora, although it is a total pain to remove the clip. The clips has a J-bend design at the bottom to keep the clip from accidentally coming off, which is a good thing, but it makes it almost impossible to remove without a few choice words about the designer’s family heritage and their mother’s choice in footwear!

Once the clip is (finally) removed however, the holster operates like a standard Remora, meaning it is very easy to grab and pop into your waistband, and be on your way. For quick trips to the grocery store, this might be all that is needed, but remember that the Remora holsters seem to have a reputation for drawing with the gun when you are not using the clip.

I have used the Remora as a quick pocket holster as well, and it seems to work very well in this application with minimal printing.

When hopping in the car, it is a breeze (when not using the clip) to pop the holster out, and stick it between my car seat and the console in my car. Very cool. I wish the clip was more easily removable both from my belt and then from the holster itself.

I also received a “free” Remora magazine/accessory holder with my holster. I do not know if this is standard practice for Remora, or that I just lucked out, but it was a nice surprise nonetheless.

The Stealthgear does what it does very well, but it is a one-trick-pony for sure. It fits inside of your waistband, and works as advertised.

SUMMARY:

While both holsters have their strengths, I have to say that the Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster has very few, if any, weaknesses, and has become my go-to IWB concealed carry holster. It is easy to use, well designed, safe, and easily the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. I am relatively new to concealed carry, so I am by no means an expert. I have very little real-world experience with other holsters, but I did try out quite a few by going around to a lot of gun shops in town. There are so many great choices out there for holsters, and it is nice to have so many options.

The Remora is a nice choice as an IWB holster, but is let down by a few small niggles, mainly the design of the belt clip. It is hard to use and non-adjustable. I do however thing it is a necessary option for this holster. I love the versatility of the Remora, and I am glad that I bought it for specialty use, but it will probably not be my EDC choice.

The Stealthgear on the other hand is just an amazing holster in every respect. I have never seen or read a negative review on them, and the only comments I have heard that are even somewhat negative is that they are a bit pricey at about $100. To me, the Onyx is totally worth the price, especially for something that I plan on wearing daily. Why skimp on something that is carrying the thing that you are depending your life upon? I love the comfort level of the holster, and the breathable fabric, and the attention to detail in every aspect of the design. I honestly cannot find a bad thing to say about the Stealthgear Onyx. Of all the people I have talked to, they either love the Onyx, or have never tried one. I love it so much, that I ended up buying another one for my H&K VP9.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Awesome review.

I'd like to get one for my m&p9 just gonna have to save a little more for it. If it wasn't for the $100 price I would have already had one.

Do you find the stealth gear is better with a fullsize gun or small gun? I have had crossbreed holsters and didn't find them necessary for my small Kahr.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's nice to see someone take the time for such a thing, that usually shows belief in a product alone. Glad to see such a review! Reminds me of some of the old erice reviews.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    Great review. I have had the stealth gear onyx myself for a couple months for my XDS 3.3in. It is defiantly a solid holster and very very comfortable. I would reccomend it to anyone that wants to carray IWB at the 4-5 position. I have found that anything outside of that position is rather uncomfortable or prints too much for my liking.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Awesome review.

I'd like to get one for my m&p9 just gonna have to save a little more for it. If it wasn't for the $100 price I would have already had one.

Do you find the stealth gear is better with a fullsize gun or small gun? I have had crossbreed holsters and didn't find them necessary for my small Kahr.

Thanks for your comments.

I have the Stealthgear Onyx for both my small Sig P938, and now for my larger HK VP9, and I can't say that it is better necessarily for one of the other. The smaller gun is certainly easier to carry, but that is only due to the small size of the gun rather than a function of the holster itself. Both of my guns carry well in their Stealthgear holsters, so I would say you can't go wrong either way.

Great review! I ordered the Onyx last week and am excited for it to get here.

Thanks! You are going to love it! :)

It's nice to see someone take the time for such a thing, that usually shows belief in a product alone. Glad to see such a review! Reminds me of some of the old erice reviews.

Thank you sir! and Thanks for the Rep as well!

Great review. I have had the stealth gear onyx myself for a couple months for my XDS 3.3in. It is defiantly a solid holster and very very comfortable. I would reccomend it to anyone that wants to carray IWB at the 4-5 position. I have found that anything outside of that position is rather uncomfortable or prints too much for my liking.

Hmmmmm... great point, and not something that I ever even tried personally. I am pretty much a 4:30 guy, but probably should have tried it elsewhere and included that in my review. Thanks for adding that info.

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    Great review, thanks for the information! If I had reps to give....

I'm looking for an IWB for my 1911 and haven't really like the ones I've tried out. They all seem fine when standing, but when bending over or sitting they all have problems. The Onyx looks like it may do the trick for me.

danbailey24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Rochester
    Thamls for. Sharing so much detail. The stealth looks WAY BETTER all around. The remora looks like it would have to continually be adjusted....but for half the price I understand wanting to give it a shot.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    another option : PROTEC ... i stink on details , but google PROTEC gun range in brazil indiana ... there is a link on his website for custom gear ... don's son is making these holsters ... similar to crossbreed ... don's son is rose hulman grad currently working for FN (i believe) ... leather/kydex.... check them out , good people....

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks for the great review. I have been looking for a IWB holster for my M&P 9C. I like the concept that you can just purchase a new kydex and have that option to swap your EDC. I'll have to check the stealh gear out as well. My cheap old Uncle Mikes has about had it. It's time for a new one.

Top Bottom