• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    It's 2 a.m. and I can't sleep. I got what is probably one of the last knives to be made by my favorite bladesmith, Tim Lively. He tells me it's likely his last bowie. Tim taught me his primitive style of bladesmithing with no electric tools of any sort. You have probably seen a Tim Lively blade and didn't know it. This cover shot of the late Ron Hood's DVD shows him holding a bowie that was made by Tim Lively. Amazon.com: Advanced Survival Guide: Movies & TV

This is what I got. It's 1095 carbon steel, selectively tempered. 9 3/4 inch blade with a fuller on each side, Texas ebony handles and coin silver guards and fuller. Everything hammered, filed, fitted and finished with hand tools. She is in the mail to me now and I cannot wait to have her here:

1645_10151484693733817_365452352_n.jpg

There is no substitute for a true custom knife by a maker you know and like. I encourage everyone to at least get one in their lifetime. You'll find they probably cost less than that flat screen TV you think you need and you're supporting an American entrepreneur who works with his hands, creating these beauties.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    A ray skin inlay would look great with that handle, :twocents:

I was definitely going to do an inlay but since everything on the blade, along with the maker of the blade at the time it was made, is from Texas I'm going with a western diamondback inlay. Though....technically being a gulf state ray skin would work too..... Hmmmm..... Now you have me thinking. Tim's all about what's indigenous to an area in his style of smithing. That's why I'm thinking this through the way I am.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    that is a beautiful bowie sir. love the guard on it. what's the specs on it and what's the handle made of

9 3/4 inch 1095 blade. 11.5 oal, iirc. Selectively tempered. Handle is Texas ebony. Guard and ferrule are coin silver, 90% silver 10% copper. Full tang. It's a beauty. I've had knives made by Tim before but they were stolen. Feels good knowing I'll have one again.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    This is what I got. It's 1095 carbon steel, selectively tempered. 9 3/4 inch blade with a fuller on each side, Texas ebony handles and coin silver guards and fuller. Everything hammered, filed, fitted and finished with hand tools. She is in the mail to me now and I cannot wait to have her here:

1645_10151484693733817_365452352_n.jpg

that is a beautiful bowie sir. love the guard on it. what's the specs on it and what's the handle made of

:): :stickpoke:

Top Bottom