• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    North of Indy
    The company I work for recently updated their weapons policy to comply with the new carry law pertaining to weapons in locked vehicle on company property. I question the second bullet that I have to notify the security of my firearm. Does this sound right? I didn't find anywhere in the statute that authorizes the company to require notification of possession. Here is how the policy the language in question reads (see second bullet):

Our policy...
    The company prohibits the possession or use of dangerous weapons on company property with the exception of appropriately licensed security officers. A license to carry the weapon does not supersede company policy.
    § For those states that have statutes authorizing the possession of firearms in locked vehicles on an employer’s property, all associates are prohibited from having firearms and ammunition any place on company premises except in the locked trunks or glove compartments of the associates’ locked vehicles, or elsewhere out of sight in the associates’ locked vehicles. All other weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited.
    § When bringing firearms or ammunition onto company premises, as authorized by state statutes, the associate must inform Building Security immediately.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Whether you comply with their new policy item is up to you.

It will not be addressed anywhere in the law that restricts them from enforcing policy against you for having a firearm or ammo in your vehicle.

Sounds silly to me. I'd probably just ignore it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) How would they know it is locked in your vehicle? The whole point of this law is that it is none of their business.

B) The statute does not prevent them from requiring you to inform

C) However, if their rule:
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting; an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    Then they may still be in violation. They only way to know is to tell them, and see what happens. If you get grief, then you may have a case against them.

My employer has no clue that the law changed (we are based out of state, with offices here). I'm not going to open that can of worms for them.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    The company I work for recently updated their weapons policy to comply with the new carry law pertaining to weapons in locked vehicle on company property. I question the second bullet that I have to notify the security of my firearm. Does this sound right? I didn't find anywhere in the statute that authorizes the company to require notification of possession. Here is how the policy the language in question reads (see second bullet):

Our policy...
    The company prohibits the possession or use of dangerous weapons on company property with the exception of appropriately licensed security officers. A license to carry the weapon does not supersede company policy.
    § For those states that have statutes authorizing the possession of firearms in locked vehicles on an employer’s property, all associates are prohibited from having firearms and ammunition any place on company premises except in the locked trunks or glove compartments of the associates’ locked vehicles, or elsewhere out of sight in the associates’ locked vehicles. All other weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited.
    § When bringing firearms or ammunition onto company premises, as authorized by state statutes, the associate must inform Building Security immediately.

Hey Mikey...do you by any chance work for a company in Carmel? Because I got an email this morning that stated those words exactly :D

I think its weird that they want to be informed of any ammunition as well....not just guns :dunno:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    At least they complied. I work at US Steel in Gary. I thought for sure the company and or union or both together would issue some kind of statement. Nothing, when you ask either they both say your crazy if you think you can have a gun locked in your car! I think they are taking some kind of home land security stance or that they boarder lake Michigan or something.
    The law hasn't effected me or changed how I operate, I ccw most of the time anyway and have for 15 years...just hoped this law would help me in not getting fired if caught. Guess not.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    with employment being what it is these days, and Indiana being an " at will " state, it would be best to say nothing. If you inform security as required, then they could target you and fire you for something willy nilly and get away with it (not having unemployment even). Make them fire you for the real reason (in writing), and you have yourself a lawsuit on your hands.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Our policy...

The way the policy is stated, I'm betting the company is in multiple states.

The 2nd bullet, the phrase "as authorized by state statutes" refers to "When bringing firearms or ammunition onto company premises." So, the company is requesting you inform building security.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto

Our policy...
    I look at these types of rules with quiet resolve. There have been many instances where if an employee would have been armed at the work place the 6 o'clock news headline would have been announced quite differently. "Gunman killed, stopped, detained (take your pick) by co-worker, employee, contractor (again take your pick)

Although I am not you and only you must live with the consequences of the actions you choose when complying or not complying with your employers new regulations, I would look at it like this.

I can appeal, sue, take legal action (once again take your pick) but if I am dead because I was unarmed and unable to defend myself, my loved ones or my friends and co-workers there is no such thing as (take your pick)

coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    i really dont understand why this law is even worth discussing. at my job, the policy has always been, NO WEAPONS ALLOWED ON PROPERTY, IN OR OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE. now, on to how i have approached this rule.

BEFORE LAW - Gun always in the car in the glove box.
    AFTER LAW - Gun always in the car in the glove box.

i can think of no reason for telling anyone i have a gun in the car. law or not they cant search my car unless they have reason and i let them.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The new company that I work for(Enkei) states that no weapons are allowed on property so I was going to point it out, but decided it would be best to say nothing and be suspected of nothing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    i really dont understand why this law is even worth discussing. at my job, the policy has always been, NO WEAPONS ALLOWED ON PROPERTY, IN OR OUT OF YOUR VEHICLE. now, on to how i have approached this rule.

BEFORE LAW - Gun always in the car in the glove box, could be fired for it.
    AFTER LAW - Gun always in the car in the glove box, can't be fired for it.

You forgot the pertinent points. ;) The law didn't change whether or not you could carry the firearm in the vehicle. It changed the legality of termination if you do. Strictly speaking, I don't think the law prohibits companies from refusing to allow firearms on their property either. It simply means those specific violations can't be legal grounds for employment termination.

i can think of no reason for telling anyone i have a gun in the car. law or not they cant search my car unless they have reason and i let them.

Unless your work for a governmental agency (and even them employment may change the relationship) or the company policy so limits them (highly doubtful), your statement probably isn't entirely true. Private entities are not subject to 4th amendment restrictions, particularly when you agree by default to be subject to them as terms of your employment. And I'm just betting that you did.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Its interesting that so many gun owners like to blab on about their right to protect themselves as they see fit yet have such a hard time accepting that a company also has the right to protect itself and its employees as it sees fit.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    The last line is the key *snip*as authorized by state statute*snip*.

They aren't authorized by Indiana statute to know you have a firearm in your vehicle, so you aren't required to inform security.

All in the wording :D

Top Bottom